New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Hi guys…

I recently acquired a second hand (of course) Toyota TownAce 2.0 Diesel as an errand/ 3rd vehicle. Its actually my first van. I believe the aircon is working fairly well.. unless I don’t know any better. I probably will have it checked anyway.

My main concern is that there is excessive heat coming up from the right front passenger seat as well as the center shift console. This heat defeats the aircon in the front. The engine temp doesn’t go over half as far as the gauge shows and more heat also comes up as the vehicle picks up speed.

One thing I observed is that the aircon seems to cut off when the vehicle accelerates as if the engine is requiring more power and takes back the power from the compressor.

I’ve tried to put insulation over the engine (under the front seats but it only lessened the heat by about 5 – 10%. It seems that I need to solve that heat problem first before I have the aircon cleaned or looked at. I’ve gone so far as thinking of putting some kind of fan near the engine in an attempt to suck away some of the hot air…

Any ideas on what could be the problem here..?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    got a liteace before, same problem but does not really beat the aircon. putting a fan will help but I think you need to have the weather strip check. baka damage na kaya pumapasok ang init. try mo sir magpagawa ng carpet to cover the entire 2 front seats kung hindi mo magagawa un weather stips sa ilalim ng upuan.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Sorry for my ignorance sir.... but what are the "weather strips" under the seat? is that like the rubbers seals of our doors?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes. Those are the rubber gaskets po.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree, check first the rubber gaskets and the engine cover locks to ensure that you are sealing off the cabin from the engine bay properly as these things deteriorate with age and continued wear and tear.

Next, you then find ways to cool off your engine more. Try to look at the option of upgrading your radiator to a larger one and adding a larger auxilary fan to help dispense the heat from the engine bay.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Aha!.... There are NO rubber gaskets. That must be where the heat is coming from. vinj thanks for that input... radiator cleaning (and perhaps an upgrade) is actually sceduled. The temp never goes above half..but as the vehicle runs faster..say on a highway it gets warmer, which is the exact opposite on our honda city. I'll take that avenue and see what happens....

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake1 View Post
    Aha!.... There are NO rubber gaskets. That must be where the heat is coming from. vinj thanks for that input... radiator cleaning (and perhaps an upgrade) is actually sceduled. The temp never goes above half..but as the vehicle runs faster..say on a highway it gets warmer, which is the exact opposite on our honda city. I'll take that avenue and see what happens....
    Try mo kay Jemson, yung electrician na recommended ni Otep in Banawe. His stall is shared with a radiator shop (kay Jorge) so you can work on cleaning your radiator and checking/upgrading your aux fan at the same time; baka magawan pa ng paraan to help you fix the rubber gasket issue.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    vinj... I'd be much obliged if you could give me directions to Jemson's shop... Ill be in Banawe early on monday to have some tierods fixed. There's a good shop near Le Ching Resto that I go to.....thanks in advance...

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Oops.. a little back read ..and I know where the sho is. its almost across the street of my favorite mechanic shop... thanks vinj...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dropped by jorge and jemson kanina around 2pm to have lunch next door. And because the idle up linkage in my jalopy broke. Hehe. Not much happening at the shop. There was a boxtype sentra and a honda city getting worked on

Hot front end of Van