New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Hi guys,

Help please. I've got a problem with my 2004 Honda City recently. Smell of gasoline enters the cabin through the air-con vents. I don't know if the smell comes from the engine or if it comes from the smoke of other vehicles. But it smells like gasoline. Had the vent for the fresh air intake (recirculation) covered after I had the air con cleaned last week but I still smell gasoline inside. Now the cabin smells so bad no matter how many air freshener you put inside.

Can you recommend an auto shop who can fix this? Than you in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by the lark View Post
    Hi guys,

Help please. I've got a problem with my 2004 Honda City recently. Smell of gasoline enters the cabin through the air-con vents. I don't know if the smell comes from the engine or if it comes from the smoke of other vehicles. But it smells like gasoline. Had the vent for the fresh air intake (recirculation) covered after I had the air con cleaned last week but I still smell gasoline inside. Now the cabin smells so bad no matter how many air freshener you put inside.

Can you recommend an auto shop who can fix this? Than you in advance.

It is more than possible you have a fuel leak somewhere around the car. Have a shop check your car's fuel system for leaks asap. You can try taking a quick look in your engine bay for signs of a fuel leak like a wet spot or a grease free area.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    have you had the fuel pump or the fuel gauge sending unit replaced? if so, have the gasket on the fuel pump access hole underneath the rear seat checked for torn gasket. this feeds the fumes inside the cabin and is a serious risk. all the switches are on the 200 zone (dashboard) and sufficient fumes can be ignited by the sparks from the switches being turned on or off

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    For the Fit/Jazz/City platforms, the fuel tank is under the front seats. From the underside, it will be directly behind the engine.

As Jick said... it may not be an actual leak but it is venting fumes into the cabin through the fuel pump/sending unit assembly gasket. The threaded lid is made of plastic and may have already cracked and loosened up due to wear.

Fuel tank removed. The fuel pump/sending unit assembly is the white round thing at the top.

EDIT: The 2nd pic is just to show where the fuel pump/sending unit assembly is, not to suggest that the fuel tank has to be removed. There should be an access panel from inside the cabin that will gain you access to the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. Judging by its placement and orientation, it will be somewhere under the center console.
    Last edited by oj88; July 23rd, 2013 at 07:03 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Thank you for your replies. No replacement has been made on the fuel system so far. I will have this checked ASAP. Will keep you posted.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i suggest the ts remove the car lighter and keep in a far away place

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    Ganito po, punta ka sa isang well ventilated area, park nyo ang car nyo.

1. start nyo ang engine make sure na ung air-intake selector ay naka re-circulate at magkulong po kayo sa loob
    1.a kung meron amoy, try no sundan kung saan lumulusot ung amoy
    1. b kung wala, go to next step
    2. i-on po nyo ang fan (ung aircon naka off), gamitin ang pang amoy kung meron amoy gas
    2.a kung meron, try no sundan kung saan lumulusot ung amoy
    2.b kung wala, go to next step
    3. i-on nyo na po ang aircon
    3.a kung meron, try no sundan kung saan lumulusot ung amoy
    3.b kung wala, go to next step

Kung sa 1-3 walang amoy, posibility galing po sa ibang sasakyan ang naamoy nyo.

next to try, you need a source of smell

ulitin po ung above steps, with the smell being placed in front, right, rear and left side of your car.

pero kung minsan meron amoy at minsan ay wala, possible po na nag o-open ung air-intake selector at kumukuha ng air sa labas.

To prevent fogging up of the windshield, the air intake mode may change automatically to FRESH depending on the condition of the air conditioning system.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post

1. start nyo ang engine make sure na ung air-intake selector ay naka re-circulate at magkulong po kayo sa loob
    2. i-on po nyo ang fan (ung aircon naka off), gamitin ang pang amoy kung meron amoy gas

ulitin po ung above steps, with the smell being placed in front, right, rear and left side of your car.

pero kung minsan meron amoy at minsan ay wala, possible po na nag o-open ung air-intake selector at kumukuha ng air sa labas.

To prevent fogging up of the windshield, the air intake mode may change automatically to FRESH depending on the condition of the air conditioning system.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Manilablock View Post

Thank you for the reply. I had the fuel system checked thoroughly and the mechanic assured me that there is no sign of any leak whatsoever of the fuel system.

I did also what *manilablock suggested and I observed the following:

There is no smell when the aircon is turned off. The fumes come from the aircon vents but I can't trace the exit point. Yung air-intake for the re-circulation have been covered already by the aircon technician pero may naamoy pa rin ako na gas fumes which smells like coming from the smoke of other vehicles or coming from my own engine. What can I still do to address this?