New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    The evaporator on our ranger is still dripping on the inside.

Naka ilang backjob na ako nito sa pinapagawaan ko ng aircon. Linagyan na ng rubbertex yung gilid, tapos sineal na ng gum yung lahat ng butas at creases na pwedeng labasan ng tubig.

The drip hose is not clogged, healthy "umihi" yung aircon. but there's still some drip.

nuts. At the moment, naglagay nalang ako ng basahan sa may passenger's side, since hindi naman malala talaga.

I'm wondering what to do with it

any suggestions?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    The evaporator on our ranger is still dripping on the inside.

Naka ilang backjob na ako nito sa pinapagawaan ko ng aircon. Linagyan na ng rubbertex yung gilid, tapos sineal na ng gum yung lahat ng butas at creases na pwedeng labasan ng tubig.

The drip hose is not clogged, healthy "umihi" yung aircon. but there's still some drip.

nuts. At the moment, naglagay nalang ako ng basahan sa may passenger's side, since hindi naman malala talaga.

I'm wondering what to do with it

any suggestions?

scharnhorst,
    there is a possibility that the drip you are enjoying is coming from the bottom of the evaporator plenum if the insulation inside has broken and the difference in temperature between inside and the outside of this housing is allowing condensation to build up on the bottom outside the housing.
    jick

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    scharnhorst,
    there is a possibility that the drip you are enjoying is coming from the bottom of the evaporator plenum if the insulation inside has broken and the difference in temperature between inside and the outside of this housing is allowing condensation to build up on the bottom outside the housing.
    jick
    that seems to be the case, the condensation is really "coming out of nowhere"

hmmm. the guy replaced the foam with something called "rubbertex" I wonder if this is the culprit. on the other hand, the a/c has never been really this cold.

thanks for the response, sir!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    that seems to be the case, the condensation is really "coming out of nowhere"

hmmm. the guy replaced the foam with something called "rubbertex" I wonder if this is the culprit. on the other hand, the a/c has never been really this cold.

thanks for the response, sir!

scharnhorst,
    first the insulation, there are some home industries in metro manila making styrofoam panels, they ight be able to reproduce the insulation just like the original or use the flexible insulation that looks like aluminum foil covered material readily available at hardware stores or spray expanding foam insulation on the insid or the outside of the housing. just be careful as the material is triple expanding when exposed to ambient air.
    second, if the airconditioning never cooled satisfactorily, check the basics like the pressures of both the suction and the discharge ports with a manifold gauge. it will tell you a story not lies nor guesses.
    jick

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    scharnhorst,
    first the insulation, there are some home industries in metro manila making styrofoam panels, they ight be able to reproduce the insulation just like the original or use the flexible insulation that looks like aluminum foil covered material readily available at hardware stores or spray expanding foam insulation on the insid or the outside of the housing. just be careful as the material is triple expanding when exposed to ambient air.
    second, if the airconditioning never cooled satisfactorily, check the basics like the pressures of both the suction and the discharge ports with a manifold gauge. it will tell you a story not lies nor guesses.
    jick
    sir, the one bought at hardwares is the one looking like white foam covered with aluminum foil, right?

would it be detrimental to drain the freon again? I'm worried about damaging the airconditioning system, as this would be the 3rd time the freon would be replaced in a year

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    sir, the one bought at hardwares is the one looking like white foam covered with aluminum foil, right?

would it be detrimental to drain the freon again? I'm worried about damaging the airconditioning system, as this would be the 3rd time the freon would be replaced in a year

scharnhorst,
    that's the foam i am talking about. you can opt for one without the aluminum foil. as for evacuating the system again, there is no eminent harm to the system, just a little bit on your wallet. you may spray the inside of the plenum with spray contact cement and line it with the foam noting the drain passages.
    jick

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    scharnhorst,
    that's the foam i am talking about. you can opt for one without the aluminum foil. as for evacuating the system again, there is no eminent harm to the system, just a little bit on your wallet. you may spray the inside of the plenum with spray contact cement and line it with the foam noting the drain passages.
    jick
    Thanks sir. bilib talaga ako sa technical know how ninyo

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Thanks sir. bilib talaga ako sa technical know how ninyo

scharnhorst,
    thanks for your confidence. just extensive experience with cars, heavy duty trucks and heavy equipment, little experience with aircraft put me at a technological advantage about transports. we're here to help and provide technical assistance
    jick

Evaporator still dripping inside.