New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    my radiator got busted 2 days ago. nag ka leak sa ilalim 2 weeks after i had it overhauled. now i cant use the car drive it to a shop to have my radiator replaced kase pag labas ko pa lang ng garahe ubos na agad tubig. So now im forced to change it myself. hingi lang sana ako ng tips and advise if there are things that i should look out for or keep in mind when installing a new radiator in order for me to do it correctly. For one, do i really need to put sealant before installing the hoses and if so where do i put it? sa hose ba o pagkakabitan? another is do i need to flush ung daanan ng tubig sa engine before installing the new rad?

I have managed to remove the radiator and hoses this morning and will be buying a new one soon. 92 honda civic hatch manual ph12 engine.

any tips and advise would be a great help. thanks

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Have a mechanic come over. But its pretty simple to do that, there's likely a youtube howto for that model Civic by now.

Start with draining the radiator. Then take off the fan, then take off the hoses, then take off mounting bolts. Pull out the radiator, then replace it. Put on the mounting bolts, put on the hoses, fill up with coolant mix, check for leaks, and then install the fan. Start engine and observe.

Sorry bro, I've said it so many times, those "overhauling" procedures are far from standardized let alone guaranteed. The price of a new radiator is far cheaper than the inconvenience.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    oo nga e. it was an old radiator that by the looks of it, had gone through overhaul. it came with the car when i bought it back in 2006. never gave me any problem until recently when i noticed excessive rust in the water. so i had it cleaned sa isang radiator shop. after 2 weeks, ayun biglang nagka butas sa ilalim.

right now im thinking of patching the holes up just to get me to a shop here in paranaque that does lavramon and then saka ko ipapakabit ung bagong radiator and thermostat para hindi sya macontaminate ng rust. madume na din kase ung daanan ng tubig sa engine block kulay orange na from rust. pero kung hindi ko sya ma tempory fix, mukhang kelangan ko muna ikabit ung bagong rad and then saka ko i pa lavramon.

ano kaya pwede ko lagay na temporary fix sa butas? and does anyone have any feedback on ADR brand na replacement radiators?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gladiator gamitin mo. Kung malaki ang butas ay gupit ka muna ng kapirasong lata to cover yun butas. Medyo lakihan mo ng konti ang kapit ng Gladiator para kaya nito withstand yun water pressure.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Depends on the leak, If its just a crack, you can temporarily use that marine epoxy the one they use for wet/underwater joints. Let it cure for a day or two.

To make it to your destination, do not engage your radiator cap, in fact loosen it, don't tighten. So you reduce your internal pressure and leak rate.

Bring water and fill in as necessary.

Its a matter of management at this point.

Good luck, bro.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    thanks mga brads. a friend actualy gave me gladiator. hindi pa nya nagagamit its been sitting in his trunk lang. kaso ninenerbyos ako itakbo ung oto kahit may ganun na eh. chi-neck ko ulit butas nung old rad parang nasa part where the lower tank is connected to the tubes parang tago eh hindi visible. Ive bought everything already. rad, bagong hose and thermostat kakabit ko na lang. Pero Im thinking of flushing the engine block first before putting in the new rad and hoses. then drive to JP wheels for a lavramon the following day.

The way im going to flush it is Im thinking of sticking a garden hose on the upper hole on the engine block (or I can also put back the upper radiator hose and stick it there) and then put the lower radiator hose on the lower hole to direct the water out.

safe kaya ung gagawin ko and wont cause any damage?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Bro puwede naman na alisin mo lang yun drain plug ng radiator or ng engine block para ma drain yun water na luma tapos lagyan ng ng hose yun radiator habang umaandar yun engine.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Langabe View Post
    Bro puwede naman na alisin mo lang yun drain plug ng radiator or ng engine block para ma drain yun water na luma tapos lagyan ng ng hose yun radiator habang umaandar yun engine.
    aalangan ako ikabit ung bagong rad habang hindi ko nalilinis ung block e. sobrang kalawang. saka may nakita ko sa youtube sakto sa naisip ko, pinasukan nya ng garden hose ung upper hose sabay drain sa lower hose hanggang luminis tubig. ewan ko lang kung effective to sa case ko kase ung sa akin kalawang e di kase ako nag cocoolant tap water pa gamit ko, lesson learned. pero mabawasan ko lang ung mga debris sa loob ok na ciguro. ipapalavramon ko na lang pagkatapos.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    kelangan ko pa kaya lagyan ng silicone sealant ung mga tubo na kabitan ng hose bago ko ikabit ung hose? hindi pang pa dulas pero pang extra protection sa leaks..?

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    nakabit ko na rad and hoses kahapon. hindi na ko naglagay ng silicone mukhang ok naman ung mga clamps e. drove it to jp wheels this morning nag pa lavramon and pinakabit na din ung thermostat and then nagpalagay ng coolant. test drive ko ulit mamaya.