New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    How do you translate compressor displacement ??
    Is displacement equivalent to cooling power or engine load ?? By engine load, I meant does the number of displacement translate how heavy it is on the engine ??

For example:

Denso TV12c = 120cc displacement
    Denso 10s11c = 110cc displacement
    Sanden TRS090 = 85cc displacement

Does these mean TV12c has more cooling power than the 2 compressors but more heavy on the engine ??
    Or they all have the same cooling capacity but TRS090 is the lightest on the engine because of smaller displacement ??

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Not an expert, but I am a bit of a Physics buff.

Higher displacement would mean it's able to move more refrigerant (higher cooling performance) when all else are equal... particularly the compressor shaft RPM. Hence, moving 120cc of refrigerant will put a bit more load on the engine than say a compressor pushing just 85cc.

As far as compressor goes, cooling performance is a function of how much refrigerant it can move at a given time. Other factors come into play (ie. evaporator and/or condenser size, engine displacement, operational RPM range, passenger cabin volume, etc.) when designing which compressor is best for a particular vehicle. Manufacturers typically wants the best compromise of having good cooling performance while still being fuel-efficient.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Not an expert, but I am a bit of a Physics buff.

Higher displacement would mean it's able to move more refrigerant (higher cooling performance) when all else are equal... particularly the compressor shaft RPM. Hence, moving 120cc of refrigerant will put a bit more load on the engine than say a compressor pushing just 85cc.

As far as compressor goes, cooling performance is a function of how much refrigerant it can move at a given time. Other factors come into play (ie. evaporator and/or condenser size, engine displacement, operational RPM range, passenger cabin volume, etc.) when designing which compressor is best for a particular vehicle. Manufacturers typically wants the best compromise of having good cooling performance while still being fuel-efficient.
    My Corolla GLi 1.6 top model is equip with Denso TV12c 120cc vane type compressor, I have heard and read in the internet that the low end models on this corolla 1.3 is equip with a Sanden TRS090 85cc scroll type compressor ..

Can you explain why they put a scroll compressor on their 1.3 models ?? Is it because on the engine being only 1.3 and scroll compressor are light on the engine ?? Will I benefit if I replace my compressor from TV12c to TRS090 (my original tv12c is due for replacement) ?? I want a compressor thats light on the engine but also cools efficiently .. I've also heard that this TRS090 is also use on honda city models ..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaremos View Post
    My Corolla GLi 1.6 top model is equip with Denso TV12c 120cc vane type compressor, I have heard and read in the internet that the low end models on this corolla 1.3 is equip with a Sanden TRS090 85cc scroll type compressor ..

Can you explain why they put a scroll compressor on their 1.3 models ?? Is it because on the engine being only 1.3 and scroll compressor are light on the engine ?? Will I benefit if I replace my compressor from TV12c to TRS090 (my original tv12c is due for replacement) ?? I want a compressor thats light on the engine but also cools efficiently .. I've also heard that this TRS090 is also use on honda city models ..
    I won't be able to explain what specific parameters the manufacturers used to select a compressor technology over the other. That said, different compressor types exhibits different characteristics and manufacturers typically match up components to achieve a set outcome. Another way of puting it is, for each vehicle design, they choose a compressor that will work best based on cooling capacity, efficiency, operating range, loading, vibration, noise, fuel economy, reliability, production costs, etc. It depends on what they want to achieve and at what 'price' (ie. manufacturing costs and engine parasitic loss)

For example, I read that vane type compressors remains reliable at relatively high engine RPMs relative to scroll type compressors. That could be one reason why the 1.3L engine is paired up with a scroll type compressor. There could be other, more compelling reasons.
    Last edited by oj88; June 15th, 2017 at 12:12 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006

6. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Mga bossing pa-help naman po. Newbie here in tsikot. Yung 2009 hyundai tucson crdi ko nakita kong may bahid ng langis yung hose coming from compressor going sa bakal na connecting sa expansion valve. Sabi nila may leak pero malamig parin po ang buga ng A/C ko kahit 1 week ko nang nakita yung suspected leak. may slight hissing sound din sa loob pag nasa #2 or 3 sya. Ano kaya problem ng aircon ko. worried lang ako baka masira compressor ko Is this really a leak? Thanks Y'all!!!