New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    pansin ko po kc medyo late o pag talagang mainit n mainit n bago mag engage rad aux fan ko although d nmn nag ooverheat engine ko, normal lng b un? should i change my thermostat switch? what spec should i buy and for how much? 96civic vti po oto ko.TIA

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    you'll have to find out if the "thermostat" is not stucked or late in opening.
    If the return hose to the top of the radiator remains cold or warm, not getting hot as the engine temperature
    gauge reading increases past the normal temp, then most probably the Thermostat is stucked.
    Check this images out so you have an idea https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...w=1255&bih=742

3. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tip_tipid View Post
    you'll have to find out if the "thermostat" is not stucked or late in opening.
    If the return hose to the top of the radiator remains cold or warm, not getting hot as the engine temperature
    gauge reading increases past the normal temp, then most probably the Thermostat is stucked.
    Check this images out so you have an idea https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...w=1255&bih=742
    i was talking about the thermostat switch that turns the radiator fan on automatically sir and not the thermostat valve that opens and closes to let coolant pass.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Honda calls it Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) switch. The service manual have a simple procedure to test the ECT switch and rated to close switch at 91-95C.

Note that the radiator fan can also be turned on by Engine or Powertrain Control Module (ECM or PCM, depending on car model).

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    experience ko na defective ang ECT meron CEL at ang idle above 1000rpm kahit mainit na ang makina, and pag pinatay mo ang makina then try mo start again hirap mag start,

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    take note that there two different type of ECT installed. They are of different color for ease of identification, and have different cut-in temperature rating. make sure you have the correct cut-in temperature rating.
    But from my experience, the culprit is normally the thermostat. If it is stucked up or delayed in opening, the radiator fan will
    also turn on and operate at higher than normal temperature. It easier to replace the ECT and it also cost about 50% less than the thermostat.