New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Magpapalit po ako ng coolant and i've read na kailangan 50/50 coolant and distilled water. Ilang litro po kaya ang capacity ng stock single row radiator ng ride ko na 1990 toyota corolla 1.6gl?

also, yung sa coolant reservoir, pure coolant lang po ba lagay ko?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    the 50/50 is merely a recommend mix but the problem is may be only the manufacturer would know the exact amount since the total volume would be the amount of water in the radiator + inside the engine. on the radiator, that's easy just remove the drain plug pero dapat sahurin mo to know the volume. the problem is yung nasa engine block, hindi lalabas yun, so unknown ang volume.

what i would suggest is just drain the radiator, then put a hose of running water into the radiator and let the engine run. this will let the water in the block to circulate. once the engine get it's normal operating temp sa gauge, shut the engine off & the water in the hose, let the radiator drain. return the radiator plug and fill the radiator with the coolant. replace distilled water dun the water reservoir and from there on, only add distilled water in case kulang sa tubig.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    *macsd

Salamat sir sa info. What I did was I went to my suking talyer kasi hindi ko mahanap yung drain plug nung radiator kaya mas ok kung ipapaangat ko (sinabay ko nadin change oil). We drained the tap water from the radiator and the reservoir. Then we put 1L of prestone coolant and followed by about 2L to 2 1/2L of absolute distilled water. Tapos yung mekaniko pinipiga-piga yung top radiator hose para lumabas daw yung hangin then lagay konti water again.

After that naglagay ako 1 small bottle of prestone coolant sa reservoir. After kung gawin lahat yun eto ang pinagtataka ko, hindi na tumataas yung temp gauge ko! As in binyahe ko yung car from qc to makati and makati to qc pero hindi ko siya nakitang gumalaw man lang samantalang yung tap water lang nakalagay dun sa radiator palagin nasa middle yung temp gauge after mga 15 mins kong patakbuhin yung car.

Wala naman po akong ginalaw or yung mekaniko man other than drain and lagay coolant and distilled water sa radiator and reservoir. Ano po kaya problem ng car ko or sadyang gumanda lang yung cooling system niya?

TIA

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    first of all, the coolant should only help to contain the increase in temp.
    second, your temp gauge should move kahit meron coolant kc the engine get's warm and that temp should register sa gauge.

the way i understood your messgae is that the temp gauge did not moved as in it is the the home position. if this is the case, then baka nahugot or lumuwag yung thermocouple connected sa engine block. just check that out.
    now, kung what you mean is the temp gauge needle moved but it never reach the former position prior to adding coolant, then that's one aspect of it's effectiveness.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    *macsd

Sir as in hindi gumagalaw yung needle kahit mga 40 mins na andar ko. Saan po ba nakakabit iton "thermocouple" na ito? kasi i've watched them drain/filled the radiator parang wala naman cable silang nagalaw unless for whatever reason natanggal nga yun. thanks boss.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    it's connected sa engine. not sure sa engine mo but normally it's
    along the return line going back to the radiator.
    i suggest you bring it to your mechanic for a check.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    *macsd

Nagawa na sir. Hindi na nga nakakabit yung wire sa may bandang distributor. Siguro natanggal ko accidentally nung nag attempt akong mag wire management..

Temp is alway below the mid line and so far walang leak sa rad and pati yung coolant level eh ok.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    good for you. now you know what to do the next time. do this radiator flushing exercise every 10KM run , help's your radiator performance.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    will do sir macsd.thanks!

Capacity of ae92's radiator