New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hello, Experts! Our car overheated and we found out that the pipe where the water hose (?big tube at the top) is connected to has corroded and has actually broken off the radiator body. Well, part of it. The portion of the pipe where the hose and the pipe overlap with a clip has broke off, while an inch of it is intact with the body.

Tanong ko lang:
    1. Is is ok/safe/recommendable to have this repair welded? vs buying a new one-- na overhaul na ito last year, but i guess pipe corrosion is a different issue.
    2. I have been reading other threads to research. Someone mentioned na pag welding sa radiator, I have to ask them if "acetylene welding or handheld blow torch" gamit nila-- is this relevant to my problem of pipe repair or baka this is an issue for radiator body welding lang?
    3. If yes to number one, how much do you think this should cost? for reference lang so I kno what a fair fee.
    4. Is this a minor procedure na pwede ipagawa sa ordinary radiator shop, or medyo maselan na trabaho for a specialty shop?
    5. If you have any shop suggestions in the Makati area, any referral is appreciated

Thank you!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa akin, mas ok ata palitan ng bago kesa welding.
    kaya nasira yan dahil siguro sa kalawang, so may integrity issues na yung pipe. kung di maganda pagkakawelding nyan di maaayos yung problem.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I would also recommend just changing the entire thing. The reason why the pipe broke is corrosion. If it has corroded, then chances are, other parts in the system have also corroded and will break down soon. I would rather just change it and have peace of mind rather than have my vehicle overheat while being stuck in a traffic jam.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ok lang pa welding yung ganyan basta tanso na yung ibabaw. Kung plastic pa, malaki risk mawala integrity ng plastic.

How much? Malaki na 500 pa welding. Be sure lang na mag pressure test after. At the same time, kung my budget magpalit ng radiator, it would be better Para peace of mind.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hello! Thank you so much for the quick replies. Kanina pa ako research ng research on how I should go about it because I don't really know much about cars.

Archie, as a side note, Toyota just explained to me na it's not"welding" daw, dapat "hinang" lang. I told them isn't that the same thing? Magkaiba daw kasi hindi daw pwede welding. Well, anyway, I didn't pursue it anymore kasi accdg to him, hindi daw ganun ka safe kasi baka bumigay in less than a year due to internal pressure?

1D4LV and KILL, it looks like we will have to replace it. I asked Toyota how much it would cost: 25K for a Corolla Lovelife OEM! YIKES. Sayang lang pala pagpa-overhaul last December.

My next questions:

1.are there any replacement brands that would be recommendable instead of OEM? or dapat OEM talaga pag radiator?
    2. i was thinking of calling other shops for OEM prices to canvass better prices, but I don't know how to spot a fake vs orig.. may mga fake ba na OEM radiator?

Thanks again!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post
    Hello! Thank you so much for the quick replies. Kanina pa ako research ng research on how I should go about it because I don't really know much about cars.

Archie, as a side note, Toyota just explained to me na it's not"welding" daw, dapat "hinang" lang. I told them isn't that the same thing? Magkaiba daw kasi hindi daw pwede welding. Well, anyway, I didn't pursue it anymore kasi accdg to him, hindi daw ganun ka safe kasi baka bumigay in less than a year due to internal pressure?

1D4LV and KILL, it looks like we will have to replace it. I asked Toyota how much it would cost: 25K for a Corolla Lovelife OEM! YIKES. Sayang lang pala pagpa-overhaul last December.

My next questions:

1.are there any replacement brands that would be recommendable instead of OEM? or dapat OEM talaga pag radiator?
    2. i was thinking of calling other shops for OEM prices to canvass better prices, but I don't know how to spot a fake vs orig.. may mga fake ba na OEM radiator?

Thanks again!
    Tawagan mo Coolmate sa Vito Cruz near corner South Cemetery. Sila gumagawa Toyota radiators. Ilalabas din ng Toyota yan, sa kanila dadalhin. Mga 10K yata brand new radiator.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post

My next questions:

Thanks again!
    hi po try nyo po sa coolmate chino roces ext. or vito cruz ng alam ko po may repair kit po sila sa pag palit ng upper tank at lower tank try nyo po tawagan
    8956587/8959540 look nilo custudio or boy santos

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    h1tman/rdc, thanks! I called them and their offer was: they can weld it but can't guarantee for how long it'll stay on. and if they're replacing the whole radiator, they don't offer OEM. weird.

Guys, question, I called a Toyota (parts) office, Toyorama and Celica for the prices. Then I called the Toyota rep again to ask for the part number because I wanted to make sure the quotes of the 2 other suppliers refer to the same item, he didn't want to give it. And his advise was that impossible magkaroon yung ibang supplier outside Toyota. Any offer from a shop other than a Toyota office means it's a fake.

??? Is it not safe to buy from any shop other than Toyota?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Yep hinang kasi acetylene lang and welding, arc or tig. I'm assuming hindi na covered ng warranty yung car kaya get replacement na lang. Ok lang kahit ano replacement as long as it's for the car model. May konting pukpukan sa replacement kasi hindi exact fit but for reliability, ok naman.

Sobrang mahal ng original, most probably 3x or 4x the price of a replacement.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Naubos buong araw ko kakabasa ng threads to research, from replacement brands to coolants! Who knew coolants are a completely separate dilemma...

Will go for Evercool na lang, ang mahal sobra ng OEM kasi. Evercool seems to be the brand most of the posters here have bought, so I guess it's pretty decent.

Next question, I don't know how to decide on it. Dati kasi tap water lang nilalagay namin sa old radiator without a problem. Since we'll be putting in a new one, clean slate, we'll use coolant mix na ulit, to keep its performance at optimum-- I've read in threads na dapat yung Toyota coolant kasi it's made for Toyota cars specifically, like my Corolla. Then I've read in other threads dapat yung coolant hiyang sa material of radiator, which in this case is all copper, which I gather the Toyota coolant isn't made for? Help. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast