New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO-V View Post
    The thermostat only closes or opens to maintain operating temp, but if for instance the radiator or fan or pump is faulty, it will keep itself open but the engine will heat up.
    true ... in a normally functioning cooling system, the thermostat dictates the operating temperature ... so if the TS wants to lower his temperature, he needs to change his thermostat with lower "opening temperature", not his coolant

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i was told na ok din daw Shell coolant. i dont know if totoo nga ba.

anyway, for our L300 vans, we just use stock rad size.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    true ... in a normally functioning cooling system, the thermostat dictates the operating temperature ... so if the TS wants to lower his temperature, he needs to change his thermostat with lower "opening temperature", not his coolant
    Thermostats work using either a wax compound or a bi-metallic mechanism that reacts to temperature. Special alloys and formulations have been done for customized thermostats and its normally to defer opening rather than accelerate it. So unless you're in bed with someone who makes those mechanisms its highly unlikely to happen.

What you want to happen to get maximum overall cooling is to disengage the thermostat, upgrade your radiator, change your fan to one with a more aggressive blade geometry, and if its crank driven -change the pulley ratio. If the fan has a viscous clutch just engage it on high and keep it there (at the expense of power and economy).

The shell coolants are fine, nothing remarkable, they work, however 1-2 years you'll need to refill them depending on usage as the inhibitors lose efficacy around that time.

Avoid coolants that use an organic acid based inhibitor if you have a mixed metal loop (copper-brass radiator + aluminum engine + steel linings.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    i was told na ok din daw Shell coolant. i dont know if totoo nga ba.

anyway, for our L300 vans, we just use stock rad size.
    If you just do normal deliveries, even overloading the trusty L300 mule, is fine as long as you accelerate gradually. Just watch your tires.

Its when reefers (refrigeration) conversions come in with oversized compressors for transporting say ice cream, that cooling systems are put to the test.

Imagine in traffic you may need to rev higher to keep things cooler. Then haul all that weight.
    Last edited by EVO-V; August 23rd, 2013 at 11:35 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phototoy_co View Post
    OEM coolant? May nakita kasi ako na coolant yung "Purple Ice" di ko lang alam kung totoo toh, gusto ko pa kasi i-drop yung temp ko. Purple Ice® - Radiator Coolant Additive - Royal Purple
    effective kaya ito? parang gusto ko ding subukan, san kaya meron nito?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    If I remember purple ice and what it does, it essentially breaks the surface tension of water/coolant making it more conductive simply because it allows more molecules to come into contact with heat transfer point.

I do remember it smelling rather terrible too.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Mga sirs, anung pwedeng coolant for 2002 starex?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You should also check if your radiator's fins are clean.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Guys ask ko lang. 40k na yung takbo ng 2011 mitsubishi adventure ko. nalagay sa manual palit na ng coolant pag 40k na. nung pina check ko ok pa daw yung coolant ko. puno pa yung sa reserved tas nung binuksan ko yung sa radiator puno din at kulay green pa.. Tingin nyo palitan ko na ba dahil yun ang nakalagay sa manual or di muna kc ok pa naman sya? thanks!

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hi guys,

Since napag-uusapan ang pag-lower ng temperature...

OK ba yung mga aftermarket na thermostat na nakalagay ay opening temperature is 70C? Matibay kaya ang mga ito? Tsaka yung mga radiator caps na 1.3 bars mas maganda bang gamitin yun kaysa sa OEM radiator caps? Any pros and cons?

TnX...
    Last edited by erick_214; August 24th, 2013 at 05:22 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast