New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    peeps, patulong naman:

i noticed that that the temperature has been rising higher than normal the past few weeks('89 corolla). my uncle suggest that i check the cooling fans. sure enough, the fan in front(auxillary fan daw kuno, condenser blower in EPC parlance) wasn't running. i tried to nudge it with a screwdriver, and it ran again.

i checked it again this afternoon, tumatakbo naman, but it seems to be running slower. i tried to jam the fan blades using a piece of walis tinting, and it stopped! after nudging it again, umandar uli

1. is it safe to say that the aux fan is broken? Any possibility that it's the relay switch?

2. should i

-- replace it with an original(which nowadays cost something like 3k?)
    -- replace it with a replacement(kindly suggest brand), or
    -- have it repaired(orig pa kasi siya)?

3. what's the procedure for removing the darn thing? i managed to unscrew 2 of the three retaining nuts, but am at a loss on how to remove the lower left nut(the two nuts' heads i removed were facing front, the last one's head facing up). Do i need to(gasp) remove the front bumper?

Kindly comment if #3 should be undertaken by a DIY newbie

thanks B)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think you have to remove the plastic skid plate to access it.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    yes you must change your aux fan , no problem with your electrical cause you said you nudge it and it moved again there's a problem with the motor na , regarding parts its upto you if you want to change it to original or replacement just be sure when you change the motor it must be the same its not that hard to dismantle that aux. fan its located at the front left side of the car when you open the hood beside the head light(passenger side) , dismantling the headlight (passenger side) will give you more space to take out the aux. fan
    note :
    every time you dismantle a thing just remember where you took it out ( screws, bolts,nuts) thats all

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    salamat sir utk505 B)

pansin ko lang, kahit malayo pa sa "red zone" ng gauge ung temp, i'm noticing more vibration when idle; pag biglang brake, parang mamamatayan ako ng makina. symptoms nga ba to ng overheat?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    possible , our stock temp. gauge are not reliable kala mo malayo pa sa red pero mainit na yun engine , better put an aftermarket temp gauge you can see how hot your water temp is

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    update lang...

good news is, nakabili ako ng surplus motor this week. bad news is, apparently the first ae92s that came to RP way back in '89 use a different aux fan/motor -- mas maliit siya compared to the one i got.

to make matters worse, i got adventurous and tried to "modify" the stock aux fan frame, para kumasya ung motor. later i found out that i couldn't use the original fan, since sumasayad ung new fan sa base, and the blades were a lot bigger. hayyy....

so i guess i'll be go aux fan hunting again this weekend; imho my options would be

1.) to find a similar/carbon copy aux fan(malabo imho),
    2.) check if the newer aux fans will fit in my ride(tingin ko malabo din),
    3.) somehow modify any aux fan i can find para kumasya sa ride, or
    4.) buy replacement ($$$$)

i'm leaning more towards #3 right now; if by sheer luck makahanap ako ng compatible fan, i'm thinking i'll be having the same problem again in a few year's time

anyways, just for reference, i removed the passenger side headlight and the metal thingy on the center of the grill(where the hood latch is) before you can take out the fan.
    Last edited by badkuk; April 6th, 2007 at 10:39 AM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    update lang...

good news is, nakabili ako ng surplus motor this week. bad news is, apparently the first ae92s that came to RP way back in '89 use a different aux fan/motor -- mas maliit siya compared to the one i got.

to make matters worse, i got adventurous and tried to "modify" the stock aux fan frame, para kumasya ung motor. later i found out that i couldn't use the original fan, since sumasayad ung new fan sa base, and the blades were a lot bigger. hayyy....

so i guess i'll be go aux fan hunting again this weekend; imho my options would be

1.) to find a similar/carbon copy aux fan(malabo imho),
    2.) check if the newer aux fans will fit in my ride(tingin ko malabo din),
    3.) somehow modify any aux fan i can find para kumasya sa ride, or
    4.) buy replacement ($$$$)

i'm leaning more towards #3 right now; if by sheer luck makahanap ako ng compatible fan, i'm thinking i'll be having the same problem again in a few year's time

anyways, just for reference, i removed the passenger side headlight and the metal thingy on the center of the grill(where the hood latch is) before you can take out the fan.

Any chance that there is an available replacement fan motor? Had to change the AUX fan motor of my SentraLEC. I was able to find a bnew replacement fan motor made for my car.

I was thinking that if I was able to find one for my Sentra, there should be one available for a Corolla which is reputed to have more parts available than other car brands.
    Last edited by zman; April 6th, 2007 at 11:22 AM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    update lang: managed to find a surplus motor along banawe earlier this month. thankfully the original aux fan frame still seems solid despite my "modifications". so far, so good.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    go for surplus original motors tapos tanggalin mo yung blade and replace it with what you bought. happy hunting sa banawe or evangelista!

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Guys;

Hear this, for those who think that their aux fan is already broken because it is not working.. Don't jump into conclusions and resort to buying a surplus or a brand new aux fan. 80% of the time you just have to replace the "CARBON" of the Aux Fan. Thus, you don't need to replace the aux fan. It just needs a new carbon.

I am sure this will help a lot of people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
auxillary fan troubleshooting