New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guys back to my problem.. I just send my car to mechanic and they found out na wala na palang thermostat inalis na din yata ng previous owner..... Someone suggested na na i rekta nalang yung fan...

So it seems that water pump is the remaining things to do..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ive been driving my parents' L200 for 9 years and sakit talaga ng 4d56 mag rise ang temp during traffic.

But rising temp at 120kph abnormal yan.

Suggestion rin, when you change your water sa radiator distilled water ang lagay mo para di mag rust ang radiator and para humaba ang buhay.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by usokpower
    ive been driving my parents' L200 for 9 years and sakit talaga ng 4d56 mag rise ang temp during traffic.

But rising temp at 120kph abnormal yan.

Suggestion rin, when you change your water sa radiator distilled water ang lagay mo para di mag rust ang radiator and para humaba ang buhay.

Dati naman kahit super trapik hindi nag o over heat lately nalang after palitan ko nag cylinder head.. pero yung old problem na high rev overheating dati na yon.. basta umabot sa 120 km/hr tumataas na ang temp.. Thanks for the advice

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Agree with vinj, replace thermostat with new one- possible that at high speeds the water doesn't have enough time in radiator to transfer heat.
    Change water pump, use distilled water and coolant.
    Replace silicon oil on clutch fan.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by jackaroo
    Agree with vinj, replace thermostat with new one- possible that at high speeds the water doesn't have enough time in radiator to transfer heat.
    Change water pump, use distilled water and coolant.
    Replace silicon oil on clutch fan.

Thanks for advice Sir.. wala na pala thermostat so it means wala ng ng control sa cooling system .. Only options I ha ve is to change the water pump...

Pwede ba lagyan ng silicon oil ang FAN kahit na seal type??? parang gusto ko na nga i rekta pero it will help only during trapik pag high speed it means ganon pa rin??

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I have an almost similar problem with my L200. Kapag matindi ang traffic (30 minutes standstill w/aircon on), the temp used to rise to more than 3/4. But it never overheats on long drives even if I drive all day - the temp hardly reaches above 1/4. Hindi ko pa na-experience sustained high speed driving at more than 120 kph. Cruising speed ko is just 90 to 100 with burst of speed of up to 130kph.

I replaced my thermostat (cost less than P600) several months ago. overhauled the radiator - binuksan but not much crud, used engine coolant, and my latest solution was to add more silicon oil to the fan clutch several weeks ago (filled to the brim). I idled the engine for about 30 minutes (aircon on) and the temp just rose to half. Pinatay ko na kasi sayang diesel.

I'm still observing if my latest solution works but since I have not experienced heavy traffic yet, I guess that will take some time.

I was thinking of checking my water pump next if this doesn't solve the problem. But the issue that the 4D56 has a history of overheating is new to me. I always thought that the overheating issue was confined to the gas engine of the L300 (4G63). If the 4D56 really overheats, then the only real solution would be to add an extra fan or get a bigger radiator.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    ps: I don't think it is your fan clutch only. The fan clutch is supposed to disengage at high speeds. The airflow through the radiator at highway speed is more than enough to cool it.

So if you experience overheating at high speed , the problem is not necessarily due to slipping fan clutch. The fan clutch may be slipping and you can check it - mura lang naman silicon oil (P70 per small tube) but there is definitely another problem with your engine.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    calcite

Thatt's what Im also considering, if its just a fac clutch temp will not increased during high speed...

One thing I have notice my Oil pressure is bit low compare to nornal during idle do you think it can contibute to my overheating problem?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    What is your mileage so far? If you have high mileage, maybe you need a total overhaul already. A modern diesel engine normally has a life of more than 200,000 km unless it is abused or not properly cared for.

Do you consume a lot of oil? I have 70,000 km on my L200 and use less than 1 liter every 5,000 km. High oil consumption, low oil pressure at idle (make sure that your idle speed is correct - about 700 rpm), overheating are all signs of poor engine condition which may need a total rebuild.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    ps: I had a corolla xl before which experienced overheating on a trip to Banaue. when I reached Banawe, I removed the thermostat and that solved the overheating. However, on the return to Manila, the engine won't reach normal operating temp on the highway (too cold) and did not function as well as before. I had the radiator overhauled (several tubes blocked), installed a new thermostat and the engine functioned good as new.

We also had a Mazda B2500 pick-up which developed overheating problems. We removed the thermostat and welded the fan clutch which solved the overheating but the engine didn't function 100%. The temperature just won't reach normal operating temp on long high speed runs. Parang pigil ang takbo and maingay pa ang fan. We replaced the thermostat and fan clutch (winelding kasi) and cleaned the radiator. Turned out the radiator had lots of precipitation which blocked the tubes. After cleaning the radiator, the overheating was solved.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
4D56 Overheating