New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hi! My 2007 Chevrolet Aveo sedan (gas/ automatic) started emitting a cloying smell around August last year. The smell comes and goes and got worse in terms of frequency and intensity of odor as the weeks went by.

My original casa (Chevrolet Pasig) tried to fix it thrice to no avail. I shifted to Chevrolet Shaw and they tried for 4 times, again with no success. Some of the solutions we've tried included a) placement of charcoal inside the car; b) spraying lysol in the vents; c) cleaning the aircon and peripheral valves and vents; and d) replacing the evaporator. You would think that the problem would be solved with the last solution but it wasn't.

Chevrolet Shaw elevated the problem to General Motors but after GM's solution failed (the replacement of evaporator), the GM representative washed his hands off the problem, saying things like it's not a design or mechanical defect or that many Chevrolet Aveos suffer from the same problem. We got into an argument because I couldn't accept his stance that nothing more can be done. If what he said about the Aveos' aircon is true, they would be guilty of defrauding their buyers since there's nothing in their materials to prepare you for bad-smelling aircons, which he said is expected in a certain percentage of their units.

Sorry for the long post; I got carried away. But to come to the point of this post, can anyone suggest next steps in terms of a) fixing my aircon problem, and b) dealing with Chevrolet/ GM motors? My car is still under warranty so I'd rather not go to another repair shop but if you can also suggest one as back-up, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Weird smells from the A/C are quite a common problem and it affects most automakers. Here's an article on About.com that may help...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks. Maybe the EED mentioned in the article would be the solution to my problem. Now, how to get GM to install that is the next challenge.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Hi cd09!

We have the same car, dealer (Chevrolet Pasig,) and of course the same PROBLEM.

Due to my frustration from chev services (pasig, makati) I also venture independent Auto AirCon repair shops, and not one of them resolved the problem. I am about to get the Evaporator replaced - good thing I read your post first.

I guess I will also have to try the EED thing. If then even know how to install it!

Thank you for posting this issue on the web! It really helped me!

2007 chevrolet aveo- need help with sporadic bad odor from aircon