New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Dear Friends in the Forum,

I have read quite a lot in WWW car enthusiast forums about Amsoil MTG on its capability to smoothen gear shifts in synchronized manual transmissions requiring GL 4 specification. Comments like - transmission shifts like butter, almost removed the notchy gear shifts and/or gear grinding, and so forth. These got me interested to try the product as my shift from 1st to 2nd gear is a bit notchy but no grinding in my 2001 strada. Still the same experience with a new transmission fluid - Shell Spirax S2 G90 available locally.

I also read that Pennzoil Synchromesh and Redline MT90 transmission fluids have similar capability of Amsoil MTG. Some say, Pennzoil is better. Others in the forums who used MT90 shifted to Amsoil MTG.

Checked with Amsoil USA and was informed that there is no authorized dealer in The Philippines. Same situation with Pennzoil. However Amsoil product is available in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. Redline MT90 is available in the country.

I am still keen to buy Amsoil. Any leads or referrals on where to source the product locally will be much appreciated. If none, my recourse will be to import it or when I have a chance to travel in any of those countries, buy a few quarts.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mabaca View Post
    Dear Friends in the Forum,

I have read quite a lot in WWW car enthusiast forums about Amsoil MTG on its capability to smoothen gear shifts in synchronized manual transmissions requiring GL 4 specification. Comments like - transmission shifts like butter, almost removed the notchy gear shifts and/or gear grinding, and so forth. These got me interested to try the product as my shift from 1st to 2nd gear is a bit notchy but no grinding in my 2001 strada. Still the same experience with a new transmission fluid - Shell Spirax S2 G90 available locally.

I also read that Pennzoil Synchromesh and Redline MT90 transmission fluids have similar capability of Amsoil MTG. Some say, Pennzoil is better. Others in the forums who used MT90 shifted to Amsoil MTG.

Checked with Amsoil USA and was informed that there is no authorized dealer in The Philippines. Same situation with Pennzoil. However Amsoil product is available in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. Redline MT90 is available in the country.

I am still keen to buy Amsoil. Any leads or referrals on where to source the product locally will be much appreciated. If none, my recourse will be to import it or when I have a chance to travel in any of those countries, buy a few quarts.
    Sorry but you will have to settle for Mobil 1 products since this have a better chance of being available. Afterall, Mobil 1 is the closest competitor of amsoil in synthetic oil.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Royal purple is a better alternative to amsoil that is available locally. Just go to speedyfix they supply royal purple oils in their shop.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Thank you very much Ry_Tower and Jo A. for your recommendations!

Let me share my further readings on the topic. I have learned in Mitsubishi Evolution/Lancer forums that the "cocktail mix" of Redline MTL and MTG 90, 2:1 ratio, will produce smooth gear shifts. Some say, it is better than Amsoil.

Few forum members stated that Redline developed and sold the new MTG 85 which was the equivalent of the cocktail mix.

The good thing about Redline lubricants - it is available locally. So I purchased these from Riken Motor Sales along Masangkay street, Binondo. Only MTL and MTG 90 were on-stock. I have yet to mix the oils and figure out the right DIY way of pouring it in the transmission.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Thank you very much Ry_Tower and Jo A. for your recommendations!

Let me share my further readings on the topic. I have learned in Mitsubishi Evolution/Lancer forums that the "cocktail mix" of Redline MTL and MTG 90, 2:1 ratio, will produce smooth gear shifts. Some say, it is better than Amsoil.

Few forum members stated that Redline developed and sold the new MTG 85 which was the equivalent of the cocktail mix.

The good thing about Redline lubricants - it is available locally. So I purchased these from Riken Motor Sales along Masangkay street, Binondo. Only MTL and MTG 90 were on-stock. I have yet to mix the oils and figure out the right DIY way of pouring it in the transmission.
    Magkano yung oils sir?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    Magkano yung oils sir?
    Same here.

Yung Castrol daw okay din eh.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hello Crazy Boy, Ry Tower,

Riken sells the lubricant at PHP 650 per quart.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Hello Crazy Boy, Ry Tower,

Riken sells the lubricant at PHP 650 per quart.
    Good price for a FS manual gear oil IMO.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    nice info.... try ko nga yan....

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Oops... should be MT 90 and MT 85 instead of MTG 90 and MTG 85. My apologies.

Amsoil SAE 75W- 90 API GL4 MTG for smooth gear shifts