New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I recently acquired an A/T vehicle... All my life I've only driven M/T kaya I'm a little ignorant when it comes to this.

These are the no-brainers:

P = Park
    R = Reverse
    N = Neutral
    D = Drive

Para saan 'to?

3 = What's this for?
    2 = And this?
    L = This too?

Btw, it's a 2.7 vvt-i Fortuner. No choice eh. Walang m/t variant.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    3 up to 3rd gear only
    2 up to 2nd
    L 1st gear only

You use that when you need engine braking or when climbing steep inclines for extended periods and with heavy loads.

Otherwise, you can just climb in 'D' so the ECU will be the one to select the gear. Just don't forget to engine brake on the way down by shifting to a lower gear depending on your road speed.
    Last edited by OTEP; September 1st, 2006 at 01:47 AM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ah ganun pala yun!

Thank you very much sir OTEP.

preety much..D ka lang 99% of the time.

overtaking, pwede ing sa 3..

1 or L, 2, and 3 can be used pag may heavy load/towing and going up and downhills(engine power and braking)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What if emergency, and you really need to sprint, what would be the best choice? D, 3, or 2?

opt.1: d then todo tapak sa gas....or

opt.2: ala manual: 1 or L, max rpm, 2 max rpm, 3 max rpm, 4....

ingat lang, pag tinodo mo muna gas mo the shift to D, jack-rabbit starting an AT yun!

hehe ang downside is madali masisira ng a/t mo nyan...option 1 is the best...bahala na computer nyan...

nga pala, kung may "power-norm-eco-(winter)" mode, sa power mo i-set..

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    In traffic: Power, when on the highway: eco mode.

Just put it in 3 if you want to overtake, manual shifting 1-2-3 doesn't make you that much faster than just flooring it from a full stop (it takes off only a second or so, if any, from your 0-100 km/h)... but it's lots of fun with a torquey engine, my SR20 used to chirp tires into the 2nd gear upshift.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    To get the best numbers on the track, automatic transmissions are brake-torqued.

Meaning they are put in 'D', brakes are engaged using the left foot, put on full throttle and the brakes are released.

Another method is the 'neutral drop' wherein the engine is revved while in 'N' and then the shifter is dropped into 'D'. This is very hard on both transmission and engine and is rarely used nowadays except on junkers.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Another method is the 'neutral drop' wherein the engine is revved while in 'N' and then the shifter is dropped into 'D'. This is very hard on both transmission and engine and is rarely used nowadays except on junkers.
    hehe... I used to do that in our 3door Pajero. kahit puno pasahero ko nagtire screetch parin siya. I just want to prove to my friend that a diesel could also make a tirescratch. A/T pa nga yun eh... ano pakaya kung M/T...

"opt.1: d then todo tapak sa gas...." is the best option

I am not sure with newest A/T but Putting to D while holding the brakes > then release brake and push acceleration pedal is slow in my experience, in a standing start traffic light situation....

mas mabuti pa yung naka "N" ka in the traffic light, then when it's green light > go D > apak sa accel pedal...

if you are using a Subic converted vehicle and when you push your accel hard but the tranny downshifts making it slow to pick-up > loosen your kickdown cable, adjust it to your own preference...

anyways, congrats sa bagong 2.7 vvt-i Fortuner mo po.
    Last edited by rion; September 1st, 2006 at 11:22 AM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    To get the best numbers on the track, automatic transmissions are brake-torqued.

Meaning they are put in 'D', brakes are engaged using the left foot, put on full throttle and the brakes are released.

Tell me about it, I used to do both all the time... ...I was a stupid kid. But I was happy.

By the way, the only way to match C! Magazine's 0-100 km/h time with the Fortuner is to torque-brake it. But if you do this multiple times in succession, the transmission starts making grumbly noises... so it's better to just start normally... anyway, madali naman mag-shift sa transmission ng Fortuner, you can do the L-2-3 shifting when you leave the stoplight, the put it into D when cruising.
    Last edited by niky; September 1st, 2006 at 12:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Automatic tranny queries