New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Tulong naman diyan. First, ano bang tawag doon sa goma na nasa ilalim ng shift knob? Basta yung parang pyramid shape na may accordion folds in some cars. Sa M/T lang ha.

Anyway, mukhang nag-expand na sa init kaya umaangat na siya pag nasa 2nd or 4th gear. Di ko na maipasok ulit sa kinakapitan dahil nga parang malaki na yung base.

Ang tanong ko po: may nabibili bang replacement na ganon? Or, as the properties of such rubber go, will it shrink back if I place it in the freezer?

Salamat!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Palitan mo na lang. Baka nawala na sa mold ang rubber.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    As it turns out, I placed it in the fridge overnight and put it back in today. Kasyang kasya na ulit dun sa clamp that holds it in place. Kinabit ko na lang ulit.

Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Problema ko naman 'yung gear stick/shift ko lumuwang na. This happened already a couple of years ago and it turned out that the bushing had already deteriorated. When the bushing was replaced, the kambyo was as good as new.

However, in recent weeks, the gear shift has been behaving the same way again. Maluwang na naman. I figure that the bushing that was put a couple of years back was substandard. Or the bushing got dislodged from where it should be.

I've been wanting to bring it to the shop. Problem is I can only escape from work on Friday, and the car is coded on that day. The mechanic I'm comfortable with is in Mandaluyong. And Abalos doesn't like coded cars passing his turf.

I'm half tempted to DIY the problem. Kaya ba ito ng DIY? Or am I asking for the moon? Should I attempt to do it on my lonesome, what should I open up? The center console? It's a 95 Lancer EL by the way.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Kaya DIY yan. I did the exact same procedure on my '95 EL last Saturday and it only took me 30 minutes.

You'll have to remove the 2 large console pieces of the hand brake and the gear shift, pero common sense lang naman kailangan.

Once you've got everything exposed, there are at least 4 bushings in there but only 2 break down frequently. Original bushings cost 250 each, replacement: 80 each. Chances are, durog na yung lumang bushings.

Before taking it apart, take a minute to observe how everything works and you'll have no problems putting everything back together. Good luck.

Shifter boot(?) problem