New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hi, guys. Patulong naman. M/T Toyota Corolla Lovelife (2000).

As per title, this problem started a few mos ago. You'd need to pump the clutch a few times to be able to crank the stick to another gear. Sometimes it only happens at the start of the trip. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Or it could happen once or twice a 1 hour trip.

The clutch pedal itself functions normally, not depressed or loose.

According to one car enthusiast I asked, normal lang daw yun nothing to worry about, like the car's hard-start every morning. However, every time it happens, it worries me a bit especially after reading posts/articles about the clutch, baka iba pala ang cause at problema talaga sya, lalo na baka biglang bumigay sa byahe.

Most articles I've seen that I THINK/GUESS could be related to the problem are:
    - the master-slave cylinder needing replacement
    - pressure in the tubing
    - Clutch fluid flushing

Do those three make sense or sound applicable? Or any suggestion as to what the problem could be? (if it is a problem)

And just in case master-slave cylinder replacement, more or less do you think that would cost (labor and mat'l)? as a guide to lang to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. I don't know if it's a complicated procedure or not.

And if anyone can reco a trustworthy shop in the Makati/Manila/QC area? I don't know much about cars.

Thanks very much!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    clutch or release bearing.

my guess is, clutch master cylinder.
    have it seen, sir.

errr... how long have you had that clutch, po?
    Last edited by dr. d; July 19th, 2019 at 01:34 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That is very basic. And NO, it is not normal to need to pump the clutch. It should release in one push only.

Leaking master or slave allowing air to enter. You will need to replace the rubber pistons and bleed the lines after replacement.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post

As per title, this problem started a few mos ago. You'd need to pump the clutch a few times to be able to crank the stick to another gear. Sometimes it only happens at the start of the trip. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Or it could happen once or twice a 1 hour trip.

According to one car enthusiast I asked, normal lang daw yun nothing to worry about, like the car's hard-start every morning. However, every time it happens, it worries me a bit especially after reading posts/articles about the clutch, baka iba pala ang cause at problema talaga sya, lalo na baka biglang bumigay sa byahe.

- pressure in the tubing
    - Clutch fluid flushing

Do those three make sense or sound applicable? Or any suggestion as to what the problem could be? (if it is a problem)

And just in case master-slave cylinder replacement, more or less do you think that would cost (labor and mat'l)? as a guide to lang to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. I don't know if it's a complicated procedure or not.

And if anyone can reco a trustworthy shop in the Makati/Manila/QC area? I don't know much about cars.

Thanks very much!
    Not normal. pacheck mo clutch master/primary or ang secondary (clutch sleeve)

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hi, guys.

Thanks for the feedback. Made me re-think trusting the opinion of the enthusiast" who advised otherwise () and had it checked. Just wanted to post the outcome, in case it helps others.

Mechanic replaced the corroded spring part of the master cylinder (around P250) and the entire slave (~350, much build-up blocking its insides). Labor P500. Flushed the fluid and adjusted the pressure as well.

>errr... how long have you had that clutch, po?

forever ahaha.. I didn't know it would get corroded and my personal routine check would just be limited to checking the fluid level if it needed to be topped up. Now I know. I'm just relieved it's nothing related to the clutch plate and didn't damage a different part.

Salamat muli!!

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hi, guys.

Thanks for the feedback. Made me re-think trusting the opinion of the enthusiast" who advised otherwise () and had it checked. Just wanted to post the outcome, in case it helps others.

Mechanic replaced the corroded spring part of the master cylinder (around P250) and the entire slave (~350, much build-up blocking its insides). Labor P500. Flushed the fluid and adjusted the pressure as well.

>errr... how long have you had that clutch, po?

forever ahaha.. I didn't know it would get corroded and my personal routine check would just be limited to checking the fluid level if it needed to be topped up. Now I know. I'm just relieved it's nothing related to the clutch plate and didn't damage a different part.

Salamat muli!!
    good for you, sir!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Good am mga boss! Medyo related ung sakin. May times na pag apak mo ng clutch pedal parang ayaw kumagat, ung hindi nababa rpm, magantay pa ko ng mga 2 seconds (nakaapak sa clutch) saka lang bababa rpm dun pa lang ako makapagshift. Almost new master at slave cylinder, japan replacement. Bagong brake fluid at nableed na rin(prestone). Clutch assembly (disc, plate, bearing) mga 70k kms. na. Palitin na kaya clutch assembly ko? Salamat.
    2000 civic.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    May natry na nga din pala ko para matest ung clutch. Ung ipapasok sa higher gear, handbrake, tapos rev then bitaw sa clutch pedal, dapat mamamatay engine. . Namamatay naman ung sakin.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by luffin View Post
    Good am mga boss! Medyo related ung sakin. May times na pag apak mo ng clutch pedal parang ayaw kumagat, ung hindi nababa rpm, magantay pa ko ng mga 2 seconds (nakaapak sa clutch) saka lang bababa rpm dun pa lang ako makapagshift. Almost new master at slave cylinder, japan replacement. Bagong brake fluid at nableed na rin(prestone). Clutch assembly (disc, plate, bearing) mga 70k kms. na. Palitin na kaya clutch assembly ko? Salamat.
    2000 civic.
    i am not sure...
    perhaps it is the engine that refuses to slow down...?
    binawasan naman siguro yung apak ng kanang paa sa silinyador?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013

- pressure in the tubing
    - Clutch fluid flushing

Thanks very much!
    when was the last time ka nagpalit ng clutch?

cheapest solution is to change the fluid...

kung ayaw pa din, palitan mo na yung buong kit (hassle kasi magpalit nun para isan gawaan na lang) disk, release bearing & diaphragm)

yung sa '94 ko dati kapag bagong palit yung clutch medyo nilalaliman ko yung bitaw nya kasi bago pa yung disk, then adjust ko na lang ng tamang release after a month... baka pwede mo itutok konti yung clutch mo.