New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Sharing is caring

From Car and Driver via Lifehacker

The only problem is getting used to the SAE-recommended mirror positions
    Last edited by taintedwhistler; February 16th, 2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: tama kaya category ng thread lol

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    nice post. so in conclusion, what is the right or best angle of side mirror to be most efficient?

i am a "figure 5".for me the best is, i like seeing my vehicle's sides as well as vehicles on my side. ang palatandaan ko is when kita ko pa yung handle ng front doors ko sa side mirror. gets? hehehe

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Thanks for sharing bro.... I must admit, old school pa rin ako in terms of positioning my side mirrors....

Anyone here who is using figs1 and 4?

9303:grin2:

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I use a "mid" position. I set the side mirrors in such a way that I see minimally the body of my car. para may point of reference ako sa layo ng mga sasakyan sa tabi. Ito na ang SOP ko to minimize blind spots

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aejhayl17 View Post
    nice post. so in conclusion, what is the right or best angle of side mirror to be most efficient?

i am a "figure 5".for me the best is, i like seeing my vehicle's sides as well as vehicles on my side. ang palatandaan ko is when kita ko pa yung handle ng front doors ko sa side mirror. gets? hehehe
    Same here. Fig.5 din gamit ko. Reference ko kasi sa distance yung side ng vehicle ko.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    "mid" position din gamit ko. kapag inaadjust, once di ko na kita gilid ng kotse ok na.
    pag masyadong wide mahirap makita mga motor sa gilid e normally in between lanes sila.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I use Fig2 and Fig4. Fig2 I have to use because of the limits of my Jazz's power mirror motors. Ideally Fig1 would be best.

The idea behind this is that ALL your mirrors are rear-view mirrors. Let's assume you're driving in the middle lane of SLEX at a steady cruise. If a speed-matched car some distance behind you moves from the leftmost lane to the rightmost lane, you should be able to smoothly track its lateral progress through your mirrors - without any overlap or disappearance. The car should move from your left mirror, to the center mirror, to the right mirror, without overlapping.

Allowing for the limits of the power mirror motors, if you can still see your vehicle's sides, you still have blind spots.

This technique of mirror adjustment was published in the Inquirer many, many years ago - 2001 if I'm not mistaken. I've been using it ever since. It's just a matter of getting used to, and it's proven very useful in avoiding sideswipes.
    Last edited by Type 100; February 16th, 2010 at 09:34 AM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by icelock View Post
    "mid" position din gamit ko. kapag inaadjust, once di ko na kita gilid ng kotse ok na.
    pag masyadong wide mahirap makita mga motor sa gilid e normally in between lanes sila.
    You should not be using your mirrors to check for motorcycles alongside you. You should be using your windows instead.

If a motorcycle runs alongside you, you should be able to pick them up using your peripheral vision.

I've also observed most motorcycle riders have made things a little easier for us by fitting noisier mufflers - this way we can pick their location up by ear and avoid hitting them. They're noisy and annoying yes but they at least will afford us a chance of avoiding collisions.

My two cents

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    You should not be using your mirrors to check for motorcycles alongside you. You should be using your windows instead.

If a motorcycle runs alongside you, you should be able to pick them up using your peripheral vision.

I've also observed most motorcycle riders have made things a little easier for us by fitting noisier mufflers - this way we can pick their location up by ear and avoid hitting them. They're noisy and annoying yes but they at least will afford us a chance of avoiding collisions.

My two cents
    Everyone within five miles of my position knows where my car is.

Everyone who isn't blind or deaf, that is... which makes me wonder about the requirements to get a license in this country, since people still swerve into me or pull out or walk out into my path.

I have the same problem with my mirrors. The motors will only allow a certain amount of adjustment before reaching the limit of travel.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Fig. 1 & 4 is the proper side mirror positioning according to this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBj89kyTvWo"]YouTube- How to get rid of your blind spot[/ame]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots