New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    What could be the safe maximum vehicle height (measured from the ground to the highest point of the vehicle), for it to fit in MOST public and commercial parking structures?
    Last edited by oj88; August 22nd, 2016 at 12:15 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    What could be the safe maximum vehicle height (measured from the ground to the highest point of the vehicle), for it to fit in MOST public and commercial parking structures?
    2 meters or 6.5 feet will be a safe ride height.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Most public parking vertical clearance are set at minimum 96" or eight feet not only to clear the top of the vehicle but also for safety, that is ventilation of exhaust fumes, fire and smoke clearance for evacuation

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^^^ The ceiling might be set higher but the overhanging fixtures like ducts or beams will dictate the clearance height. So be wary of basement carparks if your ride is more than 2 meters tall. I have seen a couple of tall vehicles (like the new Toyota Grandia) find themselves scraping their ceilings against overhanging fixtures in some indoor mall parking areas.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Picture this:
    When the parking structure was built, there must have been construction equipment that went in and out of it. The building fire code would also set the height for the fire trucks and emergency vehicles access

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Picture this:
    When the parking structure was built, there must have been construction equipment that went in and out of it. The building fire code would also set the height for the fire trucks and emergency vehicles access
    Heavy equipment does not roll into the building. Cranes are used on the perimeter, and cement trucks and mixers sit outside while they pump the cement through pipes up to the floors they're building.

Even old buildings were built that way, or by manual labor carrying cement and supplies up.

To bring big equipment in would mean building floors strong enough to take the load. That costs more money (parking structure floors do deal with heavy loads, but a car is much, much less of a concentrated load than a payloader).

Building codes in the Philippines don't require parking lots to be accessible to ladder trucks or ambulances. I doubt US building codes do, either, from the parking structures I've seen there.

-

Ali-Mall is one of the worst... clearance is much less than two meters, and some crossovers cannot enter.

Thankfully, most newer structures have higher ceilings.
    Last edited by niky; August 22nd, 2016 at 03:05 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    condominium parking are also priced according to 1.) location, both the level and nearness to elevators and stairs, and 2.) the height or vertical clearance of the space. area is standard. there are even "double deck" spaces, whatever that means. siguro yung pwede parkingan ng vans like e150 or grand starex limousines.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Sa mga malls pinakamatangkad na stock height na nakikita ko yung super grandia. Yun na lang gawin mong benchmark. Wag ka na lumagpas dun. Super grandia ah. Hindi lxv na grandia. Hehe

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Thank you for all the responses.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    When I had my Exped before in the US, I was not allowed in some indoor car parks in downtown Chicago. It was a good thing that the carpark beside my company's HQ allows big trucks (SUVs and pickups) inside. That 1997 Exped was raised a bit though not 7 ft tall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
On vehicle height and in-building parking structures