New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    hi guys im a newbie here in the forum and in the car world. well my father is planning to buy me a 2nd hand toyota corolla from his friend and my father's friend only sell it for 80k all in and in good running condition. i know it's a good deal but i have a little bit of questions regarding with toyota's engine performance. do they have vtec and dohc in toyota? the pros and cons? the reselling price range of the same model? the maintenance and fuel efficiency? and is it fuel injected? well hoping you guys could help. tnx

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Engine performance. Wala, top-notch. Maganda. Trusted na.

Maintenance is cheap. Interior is wide.

Cons ? Looks. Di siya masyadong pang-binata looking. Syempre it cannot beat a modified EG or EK in terms of it's looks. ;)

80k is DIRT CHEAP. Normal price range plays at 130-140k.

Heck, even an 89 corolla isn't sold at that price. :hysterical:

Sorry but Im having doubts on the car that you will buy. It might be flooded or whatever.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    okay ang corolla lalo na kung xl or xe model, mas matipid sa gas. sa price na 80k masyadong mura, maliban na lang kung maraming pagawain.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Price is about fair. Kung top cond yan, pwede mo ibenta ulit. hahaha buy and sell ang mangyayari!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alylaya View Post
    hi guys im a newbie here in the forum and in the car world. well my father is planning to buy me a 2nd hand toyota corolla from his friend and my father's friend only sell it for 80k all in and in good running condition. i know it's a good deal but i have a little bit of questions regarding with toyota's engine performance. do they have vtec and dohc in toyota? the pros and cons? the reselling price range of the same model? the maintenance and fuel efficiency? and is it fuel injected? well hoping you guys could help. tnx
    Since the car will come from your father's friend, I guess the owner is trustworthy enough. But check the paperwork to be sure like the original OR and CR.

All 1993 Corollas do not have variable valve timing and lift or VTEC/VVTi (VTEC is Honda's trademark while VVTi is Toyota's).

Only the GLi 1600 model has fuel injection (EFI) and double overhead cams or DOHC. The XL and XE variants have single cams (carburated).

Fuel consumption for a well-maintained 1600 GLi Corolla is around 7-8km/liter city driving. For the 1300 XL or XE, around 8-10km/liter. Fuel efficiency will heavily rely on how the vehicle was maintained or abused all through the years.

Hope this helps.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Just because it's SOHC doesn't mean it's carbureted. 7G Galants are a good example.

No VTEC or VVTi in these cars. Meaning kahit nabaha yan it didn't take long for it to be back on the road. Maintenance is also very cheap, parts are readily available and any mechanic worth his salt can fix it, unlike Hondas na kailangan pa dalhin sa casa just to do periodic maintenance

When properly maintained these cars can be a better daily driver than a new car simply because of the low cost to operate it per kilometer. And at 80K tama lang yung presyo na yan kahit na maraming ipapagawa. Kaya up until now napakarami pa rin ng running examples sa kalye even though the "bigbody" was only on sale for 5 years.

buying a second hand toyota corolla 93..