New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    my friend's fortuner was totalled last wenesday. a 20 ton 10wheeler truck crushed into rear left side corner of his fortuner, his ride flipped over 3 times and ended on its roof on the road. luckily, nobody was hurt. only bruises and scratches. thanks, they buckle up their seatbelts

questions: why does its airbags didnt inflate?
    does airbag only works on head to head crashes or impact?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusblutrooper View Post
    my friend's fortuner was totalled last wenesday. a 20 ton 10wheeler truck crushed into rear left side corner of his fortuner, his ride flipped over 3 times and ended on its roof on the road. luckily, nobody was hurt. only bruises and scratches. thanks, they buckle up their seatbelts

simple answer is yes if it's a front airbag.

3. Join Date
    May 2005

This is what the manual says:

"The SRS front airbags are not generally designed to inflate if the vehicle is involved in a side or rear collision, if it rolls over, or if it is involved in a low speed frontal collision. But, whenever a collision of any type causes sufficient forward deceleration of the vehicle, deployment of the SRS front airbags may occur.

"The SRS front airbags may also deply if a serious impact occurs to the underside of the vehicle. Ie. Hitting a curb edge of pavement or hard surface, Falling into or jumping over a deep hole, Landing hard or vehicle falling. "

Good thing the passengers are ok and unhurt. Any pics of the accident or the unit, so we can see the severity of the accident?

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    You specifically mentioned "rear left side corner of his fortuner..". Front Airbags work with frontal collisions only, which usually translates into front bumper hits because that is where the airbag sensors are located. For side impacts you got your side impact beams that are situated in the doors for some models.
    Some high end cars also have side impact airbags for both driver and passenger sides.

Ok pala ang safety ng cabin sa Fortuner , biro mo 3 times siya nag-roll yet the passengers walked away with just a few bruises. Parang Volvo ah!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Why didn't the airbags inflate?

Do airbags work only during head on collisions?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Sir, please read the above replies. Fortuners only have front airbags. Thanks for your attention!
    Last edited by Monseratto; October 14th, 2006 at 11:12 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter

I think number001's post answer that sufficiently.

Airbags generally work under the premise of sudden deceleration or a big frontal impact (as determined by the sensors).

So you shouldn't be surprised why the airbag won't deploy always. Seems like airbags are generally misunderstood as the life saviour for all kinds of accidents.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    ha... tell me about it.

I've been in various accidents, both as driver and passenger, and not even all frontal collisions set off the airbags. I've been in four, one where a car backed into us... actually, two times where a car backed into us, once where a jeep tore off the front end of my Sentra, and once where I hit a curb at an angle. None of them set off the airbags.

Frontal airbags will only go off if the left and right sensor detect the same impact force. If you are hit off-center in the front, or down the center and not on the sides, or hit on one side first before the other, the airbags won't activate.
    Last edited by niky; October 15th, 2006 at 12:44 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    we have got to include a system in every car with an airbag which won't let you move the steering wheel out of the dealership after reading the chapter where it details the possible causes of airbag inflation. gahhhhh.

too many people expect airbags to work in all situations.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    good thing they buckle up their seatbelts..just because you have airbags doesnt mean it will guarantee your safety... considering 3 summersaults..the driver is lucky to be intact...thank god...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
FORTUNER's air bag question?