New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Guys,

Noob with cars here. I was originally planning to buy either the Toyota Altis or the new honda city.

Of course, at first thought, i though id probably end up buying the city. But when i went back to toyota, test drove the altis, right after, i saw a VIOS which had a 17 INCH RIMS, a spoiler, fog lamps, HID and more features. It looked real cool.

Now, my question is, can the 1.5 Litre engine of the vios cope up with the 17 inches RIMS? As some people have given me hints that compact cars are not meant to have big rims as it could affect its handling, speed and etc.

Please enlighten me guys. Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Simple answer yes it can handle 17" rims and the weight difference between stock and the 17" rims are negligible.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Thank you for that redorange. Now, will the ride be the same? Much better with the 17inch RIMS?.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by karaso View Post
    Thank you for that redorange. Now, will the ride be the same? Much better with the 17inch RIMS?.
    lower profile tires = less rubber = mas matagtag

as for the handling performance... you probably won't be able to appreciate the difference unless you go to a track or go to winding mountain roads.
    Last edited by scharnhorst; January 30th, 2010 at 10:42 AM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    wala ba sila test drive unit nyan?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    The Vios that you're talking about is the Toyota Vios S. It`s just basically a Vios G dressed-up.

Yes, the 1.5L engine can cope-up with the 17" rims. But, the ride comfort will definitely suffer. ( see sir scharnhorst post )

If I were to choose, I would simply pick the Vios G. Why ? The side skirts and the ducktails can be purchased outside. And, the rims ... go to ROTA Wheels and you'll find `em. ;) --> http://www.rotawheels.com/wheels.asp?wheelid=5

See ?

:hysterical:

Get the altis. Don't bother considering the vios anymore. The ride is definitely BETTER.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    * Densker

When i went there, they only had 1 unit and it was already reserved by someone.

They said they would have a unit available for a test drive next week, its just i wanted to know the opinions of others first.

Anyway, if you guys are interested, im getting the CAR in house, the dealer said the DP is only 90k, and about 15k for about 5 years. 50k for the reservation and order.

It is good to know that it wont affect the ride or anything though, and i also think it will be better when driven in mountains rather than flat roads.

By the way, can someone explain better the meaning of ABS and EBS. The dealer said the car has both features. Are both features with the TOP of the line 1.5G variant also?

THanks to all, really do appreciate it.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    * renzo_d10,

I test drove the Altis 1.6 and indeed the handling and brakes were good, but the acceleration was real poor, especially the response from the engine. One reason could be that the body of the altis is too heavy with a 1.6 engine, or maybe the car we test drove was still so new and was not used to be pressed at maximum.

I also think with the 1.8, id get a much better response but the FC is what i am worried about also. Either way, the 1.6 with a heavy body could be a little gas guzzler also as you would have to step on to the pedals alot harder.

As for the price they gave me for the sports edition, its only at php 809k. The vios you mentioned is the G variant and is at 831k. The dealer also said that is the 20th anniversary that is why the cost is alot lesser. I dont know if its true or not but i would consider your suggestion also. Thanks.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by karaso View Post
    By the way, can someone explain better the meaning of ABS and EBS. The dealer said the car has both features. Are both features with the TOP of the line 1.5G variant also?.
    ABS = anti-lock braking system. almost all cars nowadays have this.
    EBS = electronic braking system. almost all cars nowadays have this.

wiki them for explanations.

the vios S is just a dressed up vios G.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    mag honda city ka na lang. yung 1.5e. ang ayaw ko lang sa city 1.5e is yung alloy wheels. so trade mo na lang agad sa 17" na gusto mo, mas mganda pa sa vios S. Paddel shifters naman + 5 speed A/T = good FC kahit nka 17"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Toyota VIOS Sports Version