New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    http://www.gmanews.tv/story/104528/A...r-jets-by-2011

Philippines - The Philippine Air Force (PAF) on Wednesday said it will start acquiring fighter jets by 2011 to boost the country's air power for territorial defense.

During the PAF’s 61st founding anniversary celebration held at the Benito Ebuan Airbase, Air Force chief Lieutenant General Pedrito Cadungog said the country had been lacking in fighter jets with the decommissioning of a fleet of the ageing F-5 three years ago.

Cadungog said it would cost the county at least P50 billion for the initial acquisition of the fighter jets.

“As a respected nation, we must have a projection of military power. Otherwise, who is going to respect us? No one will respect us... (Presently,) we have a very very limited capability in terms of external defense," Cadungog said.

The top Air Force official noted that with the decommissioning of its F-5 fleet in 2005, the Air Force had relied on its S211 aircrafts - which are actually designed as trainer planes - for the task of territorial defense.

Cadungog said that while there are no external threats to the country, a fleet of fighter jets is necessary to prevent possible violations of the country’s airspace, and protect the country's airspace as an economic resource.

“If we are not going to guard that (airspace), we cannot collect any fee (from aircraft using our airspace). They can violate our airspace until they want. Unfortunately, some do not understand this. They may be asking ‘who is our enemy?’. But we have an airspace to protect because that is also part of our economic resources. We should be billing aircraft passing (the country’s airspace)," Cadungog said.

Cadungog said the Air Force is presently in the process of making a study of what type of fighter jets they are going to acquire. He said the acquisition can only start after 2010 which is the projected defeat of internal security threats.

“(We will make the acquisition) after 2010. As a matter of fact, that is what we call the horizon 2. We're looking beyond the horizon, by 2011," said Cadungog on when the Air Force will begin acquiring fighter jets.

“As a matter of fact, we are very busy right now making all the researches what (fighter planes) is appropriate for us. Our staff, key staff officers, are there making evaluation on that...The process of acquisition takes a lot of time. We have to start now if we want to have supersonic jets by 2015. As early as now, we should start the process. We cant buy them over the counter," he added.

Already, the military is in the process of acquiring attack helicopters with night-flying capability which he said are crucial to the defeat of internal security threats. The procurement of such helicopters, however, suffered a setback early this year due to alleged bidding irregularities. - GMANews.TV

------

EVAT funds to go to AFP modernization plan

Malaya, July 2, 2008

PRESIDENT Arroyo yesterday said the government is not completely relying on the United States to upgrade the military's capability because revenues from the expanded value-added tax will be used to finance the military's modernization plan.

"For hard assets, we are not just relying on the US, we are also relying on the fruits for the reforms of the (12 percent) value-added tax so that we can finance much of our own modernization," she said in her speech at the Air Force's 61st anniversary celebrations in Lapu-lapu City.

The President said billions from E-VAT will be used to buy new helicopters, not just reconditioned ones.

"A number of primary and basic aircraft are also coming soon. These should prevent the Air Force from running out of planes and prevent pilots from running out of the Air Force," she said.

She said that during her recent 10-day official visit to the US, she was able to strengthen the military cooperation of the two countries and secure an assurance that the US government will continuously support the Philippine Defense Reform Plan, particularly the "capability upgrade program."

Arroyo said she asked Air Force chief Pedro Cadungog - the former chief of the Presidential Air Lift wing - to hold the celebration in Cebu instead of at the Villamor Air Base in Pasay City not only to focus on the "heroism" of PAF members but to "pay our respects" to the casualties of the sinking of the Princess of the Stars passenger ship, most of whom were Cebuanos.

The President also reminded the troops that there will be a 10 percent increase in the salaries of government employes starting this month. - Wendell Vigilia
    ------

ATLAST

Sana Gripen(AESA radar sana), F-16 block 60or kung invest na sila ngayon sa F-35A pwede na makuha by 2014 Pero ayusin sana muna nila mga radar sites and invest din sila sa mga SAM sites.
    Last edited by russpogi; July 7th, 2008 at 12:07 PM.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    F35 The stealthy, supersonic multi-role fighter.
    F-35 A: U.S $ 48,000,000
    F-35 B: U.S $ 62,000,000
    F-35 C: U.S $ 63,000,000

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hm... for me it would've been better if we invested in naval ships. Still, ibang budget ang pinag-uusapan, so...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hmmm. Now that oil was found in the Philippines, the stakes just got higher.

With the vast expanses of islands to guard, the fighters will need long range. Unfortunately, that means buying US jets which tend to be expensive.

I guess they could consider the F-18 or F-16. 2 engines vs 1. I'd lean towards the F-18. They have to be built very tough to take those carrier landings. Also, 2 engines improve survivability.

F-35? I'd be very very surprised if the Philippines bought that. But, I'm all for any new jets so long as "new" doesn't mean they came from the US bone yard.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    For me, hindi ko maintindihan kung anong klaseng prioritization ang mayron tayo. Hindi natin yan kailangan ngayon. Magpurchase man tayo ng bago talo at talo pa rin tayo. What we need is to have policies, laws that would entice investors to invest in our land (and syempre kailangan ng implementation doon) at magkaron ng enforcement sa mga magnanakaw sa gobyerno. Once we mastered that then that's the time we buy our arms.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

This is needed, no doubt. Hope they don't make money out of it....

6303:fetch:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by froshie1 View Post
    What we need is to have policies, laws that would entice investors to invest in our land (and syempre kailangan ng implementation doon) at magkaron ng enforcement sa mga magnanakaw sa gobyerno. Once we mastered that then that's the time we buy our arms.
    Investors will not invest in a country they feel will not or cannot protect their investments. The fact that the Philippines let its military slide to what it is now probably sent a damning message to possible investors.

One thing most progressive Asian countries have in common is a capable military. Even tiny Singapore maintains a military totally out of proportion to its size. In fact, I remember reading about their F-16s and AH-64 Apaches being here in AZ for training.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I highly doubt if it will push trough....there have been numerous plans for the modernization of the army...

election on 2010? that is where all the money will go...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I'm betting more on EU/Japan surplus F16s after some countries decomission their old planes when they get their F35s.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i bet, it would be the F-16's which are already being phased out by other countries or the F-14's which are already retired.

i doubt if they can afford the F-18s.

or probably some near retirable MIGs.

but the question is, where will they get the money to get these?
    Last edited by 1D4LV; July 4th, 2008 at 09:14 AM.

Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast
Air Force to buy fighter jets by 2011