New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    My car is a 2013 Forester XS. 1 year since purchase in February 2013, I experienced 2 instances of very hard starting (3 to 5 seconds cranking) around 5 months yung pagitan so i dont think battery problema. Tested the battery din with voltmeter and very ok karga niya even after more than 12 hours. Both instances medyo warm yung engine almost nag normal idle agad yung rpm upon starting and dahil dito it felt like its going to drop dead pero hindi naman and maayos naman tumakbo. I waited din for the dials and lights to settle before cranking the engine.

Anyone had similar experience? Ano po kaya problem and fix? Di ko pa dinadala sa casa because I know from experience na unless definitely identified yung problema ay wala din mangyayari kasi pipilitin muna ng casa ma replicate nila yung problem and chances of doing so would be close to maybe 1 in 500 starts or more. Thanks sa replies.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Could be bad/dirty fuel lang.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    start with the basics..... when was the last time you've replaced your fuel filter?

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Is this the SH or SJ model?

Both instances medyo warm yung engine almost nag normal idle agad yung rpm upon starting
    So this means your hard starting did not occur from an overnight cold engine?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    SH sir.

Never had a hard starting problem sa overnight cold start, the usual vibrations lang. Di ko maalala time of the first pero yung second around 4 hours lang naka park before ko inistart.

For fuel naman, the very rare 2 instances would eliminate this as cause siguro kasi yung fuel na karga ko ng nag occur ay same before and after.

As for maintenance, first one occured couple of months after 1k PMS around October last year siguro and odometer was between 4-5k km. Second one was last february and this is just after 10k PMS in January and odometer is between 7-8k km.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    I have exact same model as yours but May 2012 purchased.

What type of fuel do you use ? Most fuel now have ethanol mixed in so there is a bigger chances of spoilage. The station where you fill is also another factor. Old stations and or located in flood prone areas and or least patronized stations/brands should be avoided.

Could it be a defective starter ?

Best to bring to Greenhills dealer for proper diagnosis. The mechanic head of MI who is responsible for training all the other mechanics from other satellite dealers is stationed here. In my experience, its not difficult to talk to this dealer even when it comes to rectifying any physical or mechanical defects in the vehicle.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    ^ Very reassuring sir. Thanks! Di ko pa rin kasi makalimutan treatment I got from toyotaer (leave car for a week for diagnostic kuno, no problem found daw, nothing fixed, still pay diagnostic fee, problem still there). Na stereotype ko na lahat ng casa.