New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I was informed by a pedia that there were certain types of baby bottles that bore a number "7" you can find somewhere within the plastic to identify it as a certain type of plastic. Apparently is is something to do with BPA.
    The Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) has acknowledged Health Canada's assessment of BPA's health risks, and the CSS offers tips for reducing your exposure to the chemical. * Go with glass: Opt for glass over plastic when it comes to food and drink containers, especially for infants and young children. * Cloudy vs. clear: Avoid hard, clear plastic bottles with the recycling code 7 stamped on the bottom. These contain polycarbonate plastic and, thus, BPA. Instead, use the semi-cloudy, translucent plastic options, usually stamped with the recycling code 5. Don't boil or microwave foods or drinks in polycarbonate plastic containers. If you must use plastic, seek out the safer varieties: those with the recycling numbers 1, 2, or 5.
    http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_sect...ation_id=16285 Check more on it over the net. What makes it even more interesting is that it is present in our plastic gym bottles. The kind you see commonly for sale. I fact I checked some I got pretty cheap and they have the number "7". There are reports that if you leave some bottles with water in your car the heat can lead to the chemical leaking into the water. Also if you use some citric or acidic liquid stored in it. Like juice. I have been told some celebs and cancer survivors are also campaigning against this. Problem is a lot of cheap baby bottles and gym bottles abound.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Dayumn... have to check our bottles... half of them are old Gerber (AFAIK... code 1?), so they should be safe... not sure about the others...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tsk tsk. but why did they sell those bottles? are they doing a recall right now?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Yikes! Just checked my plastic bottle from starbucks...

no. 7!

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I too had not realized how common it is here. Recall may have been done by big companies in western markets but here? Key is to make others aware since you can go to popular department stores and see may "7"s. Can't say where they come from but they are common.

For the starbucks one you mentioned it is bad if you put warm or hot liquid according to reports.

So best to make others aware.

Caution: Cancerous Plastic Containers in Market