Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Sa Supermarts, you would see:

- Canola oil
    - corn oil
    - vegetable oil
    - Olive oil (may virgin pa.....)

They're all claiming to be cholesterol free, but a lot say that olive oil is the best (best din ang price...). Ano po ba difference between this ordinary and "virgin" olive oil? And also, yun bang mga cooking oils na may tag na "cholesterol free" eh talagang wala, as in zero ang cholesterol content ang mga ito?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    ^^extra virgin olive oil user here...di ko rin alam e...but since they are allowed to claim such benefit, cguro naman, supported yan ng present studies... although mas gusto ko pa rin ang non fat butter sa pag saute...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Alam ko hindi maganda ang olive oil if gagamitin sa pagluto or pagnaiinitan. Ok lang sya pang salads, sauces, etc.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Virgin coconut oils I dunno what the heck. EXTRA virgin coconut oil baffles the living daylights out of me.

What gives? Do they get 'de-virginized' too?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Virgin coconut oils I dunno what the heck. EXTRA virgin coconut oil baffles the living daylights out of me.

What gives? Do they get 'de-virginized' too?
    I don't get it, either... once you've got the oil, that's it, right?

---

Virgin olive oil is first press. Extra virgin is... guaranteed first press? You notice the taste with olive oil... extra virgin has more taste than regular olive oil. This is why you don't usually cook with extra virgin... you cook with regular olive oil... but only because it's a waste of the flavor.

---

EDIT: My wife says she cooks with extra virgin. I love her cooking.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Natanong ko ito, kasi last Dec., nagpa-check up ako. Sabi ng Dr. ko, above the "allowed level" yung cholesterol ko. Kaya iwas sa fatty, oily foods and do exercise. Pero di naman pwede daily na grilled ang ulam ko.

Sabi ni Doc, use Canola oil daw when cooking or.....olive oil. Pero mahal naman ang olive oil. Ginto! Iba pa ang presyo nung regular sa virgin. So I settle for Canola na lang.

So, olive oil pala, di masyado sa panluto. Kala ko pwede pam-prito at panggisa. Sa mga salads lang pala. Ngayon ko lang nalaman ito........

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post

So, olive oil pala, di masyado sa panluto. Kala ko pwede pam-prito at panggisa. Sa mga salads lang pala. Ngayon ko lang nalaman ito........
    pwede naman po siya pamprito Sir...we have one resto here that uses olive oil for chicharon bulaklak...

for salads naman, i used it with my own version of cleansing salad...apple, orange, cucumber, carrot, turnip,pesto in olive oil,balsamic vinegar, blue cheese...

mas naging masarap and mabango ang pesto sa olive oil...maganda daw ito sa high density lipoprotein... complete food na siya...good food to tide me over to the next meal...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Virgin cooking oil like olive oil means its the first press to release the oil from the olives.

Canola oil gives me a case of oily butt syndrome so I avoid buying that kind of oil.

Basically I stay with regular vegetable cooking oil.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    GH how the heck did you find out that it's oily?!? hehehe

We stopped using Canala oil when I got this email that Canola is worse than regular oil. So now we just use regular/vegetable oil.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    generally, foods of vegetable source do not contain any cholesterol, as these compounds can only be found in animal sources. so, it is safe to say that vegetable oils are "cholesterol-free". with regard to olive oil, it is not preferred for frying because it reaches its smoke point (the point wherein the oil smokes; the next point is the flame point) early on, and its temperature during frying is lower than what you can expect of other vegetable oils. but, it can be used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
"Cholesterol Free" Cooking Oil