New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    help po. it's my first time installing a video card with external power supply as a requirement...

am I doing this correct?

please take not of the wire colors, baka kasi ma-reverse, kahit unlikely.

I think power supply is effecient temporarily, until I buy a good one.. right now a generic 500w. kaka-sira lang kasi ng HEC 380 watts ko eh...

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    The plastic power connector has an aligning shape to it, so if you put it wrong then it won't install properly or go in.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ok, I'll confirm it with the aligning shape nalang... para 100% no doubts...

nangyari kasi sa akin noon... yung 4 pin plug to sata converter na loosen and made it plug-able in reverse. at ayun... the Hardisk was doomed...

at na traumatize na ako...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Just follow the right shape.

Actually, you can insert it the wrong way.

I have this HEC 550AB and its molex connectors are soft that I was able to attach it to my hd the wrong way (it's dark kasi and i was too lazy to reach for the light switch). my 320gb Enterprise Grade sata3g HD burned

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post

Actually, you can insert it the wrong way.

I have this HEC 550AB and its molex connectors are soft that I was able to attach it to my hd the wrong way (it's dark kasi and i was too lazy to reach for the light switch). my 320gb Enterprise Grade sata3g HD burned
    same accident pala tayo.

actualy, it's my brother's story. I told him it CAN'T go wrong way. when he pluged it, hindi lang na detect... so I checked it, ayun baliktad... I did not told him na baliktad nya, kasi ka-kasabi ko lang, it can't go wrong way but it did... so I plug it the right way this time, then ayun it sparked and smoked...

my fault, my trauma.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    ang pagka alam ko laging sa right side ang color red kung walang shape ang plastic

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    working na, thanks guys. problem ko lang ngayon ay very lag siya sa windowed mode direct draw.

then I need a decent power supply. kasi, 20 mins lang ng games testing, nag amoy sunong na yung power supply... so ako'y na bitin at balik sa old card.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    working na, thanks guys. problem ko lang ngayon ay very lag siya sa windowed mode direct draw.

then I need a decent power supply. kasi, 20 mins lang ng games testing, nag amoy sunong na yung power supply... so ako'y na bitin at balik sa old card.
    Lag in windowed mode? I normally encounter that problem if I used the default one that came with say, XP or Vista. Normally, the latest Catalyst drivers should fix that issue.

BY the way, what ATI card is that? Specs?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Lag in windowed mode? I normally encounter that problem if I used the default one that came with say, XP or Vista. Normally, the latest Catalyst drivers should fix that issue.

BY the way, what ATI card is that? Specs?
    latest po yung driver sir Jun. wala kasi driver cd yung package eh... pati S-video to rca converter wala...

radeon x1650 po. 512Mb gddr2, 600core 330x2memory freq. I think 1,400 memory niya sa gpuz.

lag po yung directdraw window mode, making internet browsing lag

I can't troubleshoot for now po. the power supply will smell sunog na after awhile, hiniram ko palang yung generic 500watts. pina-ayos ko pa power supply ko HEC 385 watts. right now, I'm using my old card...

hindi po kaya dahil low on power? kaya lag? but games are not lag though...

btw, I even removed 1 HD, 2 cd/dvdrom, peru nag-amoy sunog parin yun eh... di talaga kinaya...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    latest po yung driver sir Jun. wala kasi driver cd yung package eh... pati S-video to rca converter wala...

radeon x1650 po. 512Mb gddr2, 600core 330x2memory freq. I think 1,400 memory niya sa gpuz.

lag po yung directdraw window mode, making internet browsing lag

I can't troubleshoot for now po. the power supply will smell sunog na after awhile, hiniram ko palang yung generic 500watts. pina-ayos ko pa power supply ko HEC 385 watts. right now, I'm using my old card...

hindi po kaya dahil low on power? kaya lag? but games are not lag though...

btw, I even removed 1 HD, 2 cd/dvdrom, peru nag-amoy sunog parin yun eh... di talaga kinaya...
    Let's see.... Diagnosing video card software problems are always tough ones. I do know ATI cards sometimes choke if there are traces of the previous video card drivers even if the previous video card was an ATI card and had the same drivers. That's why for a time, I used to alternate between ATI and nVidia. Actually, I still do. This pc I'm on had an ATI X800XL. It now has a GF 8600GT. My next card would probably be ATI.

Personally, I can't really think of a solution to your problem unless I'm right there. But if you haven't already, you can try next time to set Windows to generic vga mode and uninstall any trace of the video drivers. ATI should have such an uninstall utility. Then reinstall the new card.

Also, there are older motherboards/chipsets that aren't fully compatible with AGP 8x. An example would be my old Athlon XP 1700+ pc. Not sure if yours is the same. But, you can look into it.

Add: You also mentioned "sunog". That means burning. If I smell something cooking in my pc. I normally would check for dust, the connections of every component, and try to isolate which area is cooking. If they don't work, I then completely disassemble my pc including taking off the heatsink and fan from the cpu. I reassemble afterwards and try again. My experiences with a burning smell had been the PSU, CPU, and GPU (or perhaps the m/b itself). Typically, by the time I figure out which component is bad, it's too late. He He. That's just the way it is. If you can smell it, a lot of times, it's too late.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 11th, 2009 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
PC Hardware gurus help: AGP external power supply