New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How do I use my local number for roaming to Japan? I know I cannot use my 3G cellphones there, so how can I receive calls and texts using my number when I'm in Japan?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    How do I use my local number for roaming to Japan? I know I cannot use my 3G cellphones there, so how can I receive calls and texts using my number when I'm in Japan?
    Good question. I was told never to bring my cellphone when making a trip there. It's best to heed it because I heard the fines are pretty stiff.

It was always laptop and internet email for me during my trips there.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I need to be always in contact with my office through phone. So I really need to be reachable via my cel number.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I had the luxury of being able to get inside a US base and calling home when the need arose.

I'm trying to remember what my options were when the above wasn't available.

All I can think of is a prepaid phone.

You'll have to do some research on your options.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'm not sure if this will be much help. But, it might point you to the right direction:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223.html

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually you can use your 3G phone there since the 3G signal is compatible with the Japanese 3G signals there.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From the link given by JAP:

Do foreign phones work in Japan?

Due to different technologies, mobile phones from your home country may not work in Japan. Most importantly, there is no GSM network, so GSM phones do not work. There are two things that are required for your telephone to work:

1. Compatibility with the Japanese mobile phone network - The only foreign phones that work in Japan are some 3G models, however the number of compatible phones is increasing. Contact your service provider for details concerning your particular phone.
    Does anyone know which 3G phones work in Japan?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From the link given by JAP:

Does anyone know which 3G phones work in Japan?
    3G phones with UMTS/WCDMA 2100Mhz feature.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/que...y.html?0+33535

to know if your phone is Japan compatible: http://www.gsmarena.com

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Good question. I was told never to bring my cellphone when making a trip there. It's best to heed it because I heard the fines are pretty stiff.

It was always laptop and internet email for me during my trips there.
    mr pekto bakit po meron fine ang pag dala ng cellphone sa japan?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raine View Post
    mr pekto bakit po meron fine ang pag dala ng cellphone sa japan?
    I'm wondering about where I got that too. I may have confused talking in a cellphone while driving with using a foreign cellphone in Japan. At the time I inquired about it, I was talking to a group of Americans who were all chatting at the same time. I must be getting old.

My bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Roaming in Japan