New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    By Iljitsch van Beijnum | Published: February 17, 2008 - 09:50PM CT

On his Random Thoughts blog, security researcher Nicholas Weaver speculates about how ISPs, particularly AT&T, could aid the fight against copyright infringement. His proposal to map ******* participants to IP addresses and verify that those addresses are uploading copyrighted material will be controversial, even if it is workable.

Weaver's first observation is that "AT&T probably has a huge incentive to block pirated traffic" because, apparently, 5 percent of its users use 50 percent of the bandwidth. Weaver continues to observe that it's extremely easy to get a hold of pirated content on the Internet. Legal campaigns against Bit******* search sites have resulted in some small successes, but sites like The Pirate Bay continue to taunt the copyright industry with the likes of a Valentine-inspired sharing is caring slogan.
    Weaver's solution?
    All that is necessary is that the MPAA or their contractor automatically spiders for *******s. When it finds *******s, it connects to each ******* with manipulated clients. The client would first transfer enough content to verify copyright, and then attempt to map the participants in the *******.
    The MPAA can then use an automated mechanism to inform the ISPs in question, which can then block the IP address of the Bit******* user for a short time. This would work much better than wide-scale deep packet inspection. As noted before, routers have a hard enough time just routing the packets.
    So what about this ******* mapping approach? Can it work, and would it be an attractive move for the MPAA to make?

for more please read http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...uploaders.html

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    These guys ever heard of proxy servers??? hehehe

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    These guys ever heard of proxy servers??? hehehe
    I bet they are. but MPAA sounds to be more vigilant now in trying to shut down *******. But i dont think they will be successful though.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I honestly doubt that they can penetrate multi-layer proxies. ehehehheehehe

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i saw this article. Mr. Weaver actually said that one of the biggest ******* 'pirates' was in the Philippines. it was actually two sites, both in General Santos City...one was some kind of hardware depot and another one was a house with floral curtains in the window and a Mitsu Outlander parked out front....

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Actually with the MPAA survey nga, sabi nila pasok tayo sa top 5 na mahilig sa camcording ng mga bagong movies eh.

Researcher maps out plan to target Bit******* uploaders