New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    most of these are too small imo. whats the room size and is it insulated?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    mga 10-15sqm sir. Actually pwede namang rektahin yung bintana to fit in a window type. i'm just looking for a drop in replacement with minimal/no renovation needed.

But if i will end up with a higher Meralco bill, baka mag window type na lang ako. Di ko pa sure how repairable the portable unit will be.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I used to know someone who has the old type... Yung may matabang pipe sa likod kung saan lalabas yung hot air... Ok naman kaso hassle kung paano ilalabas yung pipe sa house...

Yung new style naman na wala na nung pipe... Puro demo lang nakikita ko... Wala pa akong nameet na bumili...
    it does look like doc ock's in the house.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    i'm thinking about installing an A/C in a spare room here. i know window types are the most practical, but i want to avoid having to do any renovation.

So far i've only seen models from lesser known/China brands. Meron kaya from Panasonic, Carrier etc?

Any disadvantages compared to the typical types?
    installation might be easier than one would think, po.
    have a carpenter see it.
    condura and carrier have small models.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 1st, 2017 at 01:48 PM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    You can go with portable air conditioners as these does not require permanent installation. Once you position your portable air conditioner, the exhaust hose needs to be directed out of the room so that the hot air will be expelled from the room. You can call any local hvac company NJ for more information.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    We have an old LG portable air conditioner from 2012 that still works. It was designed to cool a 10ft x 10ft room. It employs a flexible tube that blows the exhaust air out through a window. It wasn't as humid as the PH where we were. So, emptying the water wasn't frequent, usually once a day.

I used it because my den was the farthest room away from the centralized heating and cooling.

The LG worked pretty good even though my den was 14ft x 14ft. But, it was noisy. So, whenever I was watching TV, the volume was pretty loud.

To empty the water, I had to unplug and set the unit on a stair step and then unscrew the drain cap at the bottom. The water then drained out into a small bucket.

We also have a small window-type rectangular air conditioner that sat on a window. It was designed for a 13ft x 13ft room. We had to buy one because after we sold our house in NY, we moved to an apartment for a year and it didn't have an air conditioner. It too worked okay. The water drained outside via a rubber tube. The only bad part was having to take out the screen from the window.

Plus, we can't have either air conditioner in place if we're leaving the house because the windows are open.

From my experience with portable air conditioners, they work so long as you use them in the room size they were designed for. If it's designed for a tiny bedroom, don't use it to cool down a living room.
    It is undeniable that there are indeed many portable air conditioners that are noisy. So before I bought this quiet MN10CESBB 10000 BTU, I did a lot of searching for it. If you hate the noisy things, I will recommend this portable air conditioner to you. It is very quiet and will not bother me to sleep.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnAnne View Post
    It is undeniable that there are indeed many portable air conditioners that are noisy. So before I bought this quiet MN10CESBB 10000 BTU, I did a lot of searching for it. If you hate the noisy things, I will recommend this portable air conditioner to you. It is very quiet and will not bother me to sleep.
    No need. I know it's hard to believe. But, I can sleep through a constant noise better than if it was whisper quiet.

Plus, our home here have both central air conditioning and ceiling fans (in all rooms). In fact, we'll be selling our old portable and window-mounted AC units in a garage sale soon.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    i'm thinking about installing an A/C in a spare room here. i know window types are the most practical, but i want to avoid having to do any renovation.

So far i've only seen models from lesser known/China brands. Meron kaya from Panasonic, Carrier etc?

Any disadvantages compared to the typical types?
    Disadvantages are: (compared to window ac)
    1. Noise - Imagine you are sleeping, when portable ac is in fan mode it is just as quiet as window/split ac. or even quitter! But once the COMPRESSOR, Condenser fan kicks in to achieve the desired temperature for cooling the room it will be also MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH LOUDER than the window ac waking you up in the middle of the night LOL by that surprise of the compressor (it doesn't matter if its inverter or not) it will still be 2 times louder than any typical window and 3 times louder than a regular split ac.
    2. Efficiency - Imagine both portable ac and window ac is rated at 1.0 hp with that power, window ac has no trouble cooling the 15 sqm room with even temperature , unlike portable ac its uneven temperature or something like that. With that rated power, split/window ac can cool much further than the portable ac
    3. Electricity - Well, since i have all (split ac in living room, regular window and inverter window in the 2nd floor room, and a new portable ac (which is single hose)
    On a portable unit one (2019 model) 1.0 HP - it consumes like 13-16 php/ hour
    On a 2016 regular 1.0 window ac - it consumes averages of 8 php/hour
    On an typical Split type ac 1.0 HP - it consumes around 7-9 php/hour
    On an inverter window ac - it consumes around 2 to 3 pesos per hour

So might as well, Portable AC is not a bad choice to get, because With THAT NOISE it can block the noisy environment of your surroundings such as your annoying neighborhood that plays loud music early in the morning
    Another advantage is as long as you installed it correctly, you don't have to worry about the leaking. Because mine doesn't leak that much.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Portable air conditioners offer a convenient solution for cooling smaller spaces or areas without central cooling systems. Their mobility allows for easy relocation from room to room, providing targeted cooling where it's needed most. While they may not have the same cooling power as larger units, they're often more energy-efficient and cost-effective for smaller spaces you can learn about air conditioners on this page. However, it's essential to consider factors like noise levels and maintenance requirements when choosing a portable air conditioner to ensure it meets your specific needs and preferences. Overall, they're a practical choice for those seeking flexible cooling options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12