New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Do you use any form of computer back up to protect yourself from losing documents and other files from being lost if your PC or hard drive suddenly dies?

Manual or Automatic backup systems?

Tell us about it.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    disk/partition imaging using pqdi or ghost has been effective for me for more than a decade now.

for working files, nothing beats an external hd.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    for media files (pics, music, videos) i use dvd-r.

for work files i use a flash drive and an external hdd

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For our office server, I had it set for RAID 1 (mirroring) on the two SATA HDDs.

Active data is also backed up daily to a set of USB flash drives at the end of the day.

For my documents, I have it copied to the server once in a while so to have a 2nd copy aside from my own PC.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Do you use any form of computer back up to protect yourself from losing documents and other files from being lost if your PC or hard drive suddenly dies?

Manual or Automatic backup systems?

Tell us about it.
    For priceless stuff like digital photos and scanned documents, they go straight into an external backup hard drive and are copied to the other computers and external hard drives.

For not-so-critical stuff like game patches/mods/free FSX aircraft and scenery, one of the external hard drives will do.

I see no need for automatic backup in the process I use.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

For personal files, I backup on a DVD. So far, I need only one DVD for them.... Tapon lang every month....

For emails, backup on a DVD... I do this every quarter.... Retention period is one year....

For movies and other media files.... I use an external drive....

9202:toothbrush:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

For personal files, I backup on a DVD. So far, I need only one DVD for them.... Tapon lang every month....

For emails, backup on a DVD... I do this every quarter.... Retention period is one year....
    Won't it be better to use a 4gb USB flash drive for the above mentioned back-up jobs?

I have encountered that some DVDs (or DVD-RWs) I have burned as backup have a tendency not to be 100% readable after a few weeks/months.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    For critical data, it would be cheaper to backup them on NAS using Windows native backup utility and task scheduler. TerraByte NAS now are cheap.

You can make scheduled task to overwrite previous backups on a weekly or monthly basis.

I use 2 sets Terrabyte NAS alternately for one week backup retention.

BTW, Windows native backup can do full backup, differential backup, or Incremental backup. In this way you can do once a week Full backup and succeeding daily differential or Incremental.
    Last edited by Mile2; February 8th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I use DVD to backup movies and tv series I downloaded.

Computer Files Backup - Do you use one?