The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Raising Musashi could harm environment

By Maila Ager
    INQUIRER.net
    First Posted 19:35:00 10/22/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Opposition Senator Loren Legarda is against a plan to bring to surface the Japanese warship Musashi, which sank off Romblon province 64 years ago during the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea.
    Legarda said raising Musashi, among the largest and most heavily-armed battleships ever built, could imperil the marine ecosystem in the area.
    “Surely, the warship is now home to marine life off the island of Romblon. Refloating it now would invite damage to the marine ecosystem there," she said in a statement on Wednesday.
    Legarda’s warning came after a group of Japanese, headed by a government representative Kiyoshi Goto, offered to refloat the shipwreck found 4,430 feet under water at 13 degrees 07'01" North, 122 degrees 31'59" East, off the Bondoc Peninsula.
    Musashi sank during intense air attacks by American forces on October 24, 1944.
    The Japanese group said “refloating the warship is in honor of the friendship between the Japanese and the Filipino people."
    Legarda insisted that the environmental concerns should be addressed first, even as she acknowledged the historical significance of bringing the battleship to surface.
    "If this ship will ever be raised from the bottom of the sea, it should serve as a memorial to those who risked and sacrificed their lives for freedom and love of country," she said.
    "Like any war relic, it must serve as a reminder to the present and future generations of the senselessness of war,” she further said.
    The Musashi was the second and final Yamato class battleship of the Imperial Japanese Navy, with the legendary Yamato as its sister ship.
    Attacked by American dive bombers, the Musashi capsized to port, bringing down with her about 1,000 of her 2,299 crew.
    Wow, buo pa kaya ito?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Wow, buo pa kaya ito?
    Of course, not.
    Kaya nga lumubog ... sinira ng mga kano.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Visions of "this" comes to mind...

But regarding the issue, I would let the Japanese raise and refloat the ship if it's still possible. In the long run, the country would benefit more from friendly relations with Japan than the battleship sitting on the sea-floor acting as an artificial reef.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 23rd, 2008 at 10:06 AM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    may point si loren. . .

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vito corleone View Post
    may point si loren. . .
    Here's the arguement, is Loren a marine ecological system expert? In the news report, is she speaking as an "expert" or just as an ordinary citizen with street level knowledge of marine ecosystems?

At any rate, sunlight barely penetrates to the depth of 4,430 feet.

Taken from: http://www.scienceclarified.com/Mu-Oi/Ocean-Zones.html
    From 660 to 3,000 feet (200 to 900 meters), only about 1 percent of sunlight penetrates. This layer is known as the dysphotic zone (meaning "bad light"). Below this layer, down to the deepest parts of the ocean, it is perpetual night. This last layer is called the aphotic zone (meaning "without light").
    I think its probable that any side-effect done by raising the ship will be shortlived. Hence it would be safe for the marine environment.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 23rd, 2008 at 10:18 AM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Legarda insisted that the environmental concerns should be addressed first, even as she acknowledged the historical significance of bringing the battleship to surface.

i hope it's not a case of musashi mitsuketa! hikiageyou! (we've found musashi! let's raise it up!). . .did those japanese people even consider what loren pointed out? . . .i wonder if they would have the same initial enthusiastic reaction if it was found lying on a japanese seabed. . .i think that ship belongs to the ocean and the creatures that inhabit it now more than it belongs to anybody above the sea level. . .don't we have enough war relics and monuments already?. . .

the side effects by raising the ship could be shortlived, but it's not worth disaturbing those creatures' lives now just to have a show and remind the world how grand a toy they once had. . .

just my 2 cents. . .nice picture, reminds me of my tv-viewing days in the olden times. . .hehhe
    Last edited by vito corleone; October 23rd, 2008 at 11:29 AM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I-refloat, if the Japanese really have the technology and money, of course. It'll be a spectacular event and since it's in Philippines territory, it's ours to keep for the advantage of our tourism industry. Mas concern ako sa safety, 'coz we know that a lot of vintage bombs are still capable of exploding and I think the ship still has them kung relatively buo pa siya.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    baka pwedeng tignan muna kung magkakaroon nga ng impact sa marine ecosystem. malay mo wala naman pala. e di ok lang i-raise. kung meron talaga, e di wag.

i think it would be a better "reminder to the present and future generations of the senselessness of war" if people could actually see it and relive the images of destruction and death.

sa totoo lang, ngayon ko lang nalaman na andun pala sya. so the fact na naalala nila at nalabas sa balita, it made me research on the event and circumstances of its sinking and made me appreciate more the futility of that war. imagine the level of curiosity it will generate for today's youth if it were raised and displayed to everyone. malay mo gawan pa ng pelikula dito sa pinas. :D

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Don't forget the unexploded ordnance and fuel. They're still aboard and have lost none of their lethality.

Add:
    It did take at least 17 torpedoes plus a lot of bombs to sink the Musashi. It was one tough battleship.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Don't forget the unexploded ordnance and fuel. They're still aboard and have lost none of their lethality.

Add:
    It did take at least 17 torpedoes plus a lot of bombs to sink the Musashi. It was one tough battleship.
    oo nga. imagine if one 18 inch, 3,000 lb round fell during its raising....

14"-16" of armor, more than 70,000 tons dsiplacement...amazing.

wala na atang mga battleships ngayon no?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Raising the Japanese battleship Musashi?