New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I got this error message on my laptop:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

It this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk deframentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Reun CHKDSK/F? To check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000024(0x00190203, 0x823DD548, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)"

This is a Toshiba laptop that I've had for a minimum of 5 years and has never been reformatted. I've been getting blue screens every now and then for the past 6 months but this is the first time that my laptop won't reboot na!

I have not backed up my files!!! I am desperate for help. I have some personal files that I want to back up and delete before bringing my laptop for service. If my laptop is hopeless na, I just need a way to recover my files. I am posting this from my equally ancient phone and it's very difficult to google for a solution. If anyone can please direct me somewhere where I could get some helpful input din, I would very much appreciate it.

I have cold hands and feet na because I am scared that I won't be able to recover years of data!!! I know I am stupid for not backing up my files. I've long procastinated about it kasi. I really do now want to bring my laptop for repair with all my personal files still there. I have a feeling they will ask me to leave my laptop kasi for diagnosis.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Looks like your laptop crashed. Yes the service guys will ask you to leave it for diagnosis. If you know an IT guy who has technical troubleshooting experience, then he maybe able to help you.

You should have heeded the warning signs!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    For starter remove the HD of the laptop first then have someone copy the content of it to your backup device.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Unfortunately I don't have any techie or IT friends anymore. I was hoping to get instructions on backing up my files. Please excuse my ignorance but I have no idea on the degree of difficulty in recovering and backing up files. My problem kasi is I have files that I do not wish for anyone else to see. But if it's difficult to backup, I'll have to take that risk na lang.

There's a place I know that repairs laptops but the diagnosis alone costs PhP2.5k na. Since my laptop is very old, keys are faded na and some are not working anymore, screen has black spots na and wifi not working anymore, I know it's due for replacement and since this happened, I will buy a new laptop na nga lang. Parang 2.5k diagnosis plus labor to have my laptop working again plus cost of parts if any, might ne too expensive when all I want is my files.
    Pero kung mahirap talaga, I guess I have no choice.

*lowslow I know I wouldn't have this problem if only I backed up my files.

*coder, my files are less than 8 GB. Can I use a memory stick as backup storage when my hard drive is removed? Or does it have to be an external hard drive!

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Am no techie on those things myself, if you can still turn on the thing, then you may have that chance in backing up. But if you can't, service center job na yan.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bring your laptop to any repair shop ... tell the tech to remove the hard disk, that's all you need him to do, shouldn't cost much

bring your hard disk to cdrking and ask for proper enclosure with usb cable, let the cdrking tech install your hd on the enclosure and test the whole thing ... if it works, i.e., the disk is readable, pay for the enclosure and go home to do your backup

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Hanggang blue screen na lang talaga. I really hope a miracle will happen and I get to back up my files. I am really close to crying over this

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    bring your laptop to any repair shop ... tell the tech to remove the hard disk, that's all you need him to do, shouldn't cost much

bring your hard disk to cdrking and ask for proper enclosure with usb cable, let the cdrking tech install your hd on the enclosure and test the whole thing ... if it works, i.e., the disk is readable, pay for the enclosure and go home to do your backup

thanks for that! Do you have any idea how much that enclosure costs? What if my hard disk is sira? Is there still a chance I can get my files? It's all in my documents and desktop lang naman.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    thanks for that! Do you have any idea how much that enclosure costs? What if my hard disk is sira? Is there still a chance I can get my files? It's all in my documents and desktop lang naman.
    You will need to first check what kind of connector your laptop's 2.5inch harddisk uses. Given it's pretty old (over five years), chances are it is a PATA type connector and not the more current & common SATA connector.

Currently your hard disk has a good chance that it's still readable because the fact that you are getting the blue screen error. If the HDD was unaccessible, it would just stop at the boot-up screen. It stands to good reason its just a corrupted file that disabled your copy of Windows from booting up properly. Your files would still be there.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Can you access the SAFE MODE? Well if you can, you'll be able to backup your important files. Then have your hdd reformatted and see how it goes... Finally it seems a 5-6 year old lappy needs a memory upgrade. Good luck!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast