New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    speaking of the philippine navy, we had 1 PCE Class corvette (if i remember right, the PS-21 Datu Marikudu), and 2 korean made SK Sea Hawk/Sea Killer class patrol vessels guard us when we drilled for oil in the sulu sea last year. there was also a navy seal team on board the rig and on the supply boats (actually, 2 work/supply ships but over here we call them boats).

one time a banka with 4 armed men (yes, a banka, they probably did not see the navy boats since 2 were on the other side of the rig and the other one tied up to one of the supply boats) approached one of the supply boats demanding to board and inspect the boat. of course part of the seal team that was stationed on that supply boat trained their m60 and m16s on them and had them arrested. the corvete was called to the scene since the commander of the task force was on board that vessel. the corvette and patrol boat #1 was 8 nautical miles away, the other patrol boat #2(tied up to one of the supply boats) was farther to the other side. it took a good 1 hour for PS-21 to reach the supply boat. on the other hand the korean made patrol boat #2 that first responded covered the greater distance in less than 15 minutes! maingay lang nga ang engines nung korean made vessels, di mo na need ng radar para ma-detect siya pag naka-full speed. the spray of water being thrown from its propellers was indicative of the boat's power, it was as high as the boat's mast.

they had to let the 4 fools go, they were with the CUSTOMS OFFICE in Jolo (they had IDs). those 4 even threatened the navy guys that if they set foot in Jolo they will be dead, imagine that! what puzzled us was after those 4 were release, they headed toward malaysia
    Last edited by yebo; October 3rd, 2005 at 08:25 PM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    tama si sir FrankDrebin, wag na nating isali ang status ng gobyerno dito.

Maganda bili tayo ng F-117A. pag mag tanong kng nasaan na ang biniling F-117A sabihin lang na hindi makita kasi stealth.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Hindi kasi sila tulad ni mayor duterte ng davao sir yebo.

Dapat sa mga yan eh hindi na dapat kinakausap pa. barilin na kaagad.

kaya bili na tayo ng stealth fighter para hindi kita. at least hindi tayo ma pagbitangan ng ghost purchases. hehehehee...

dami pa naman nyan sa military.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnald
    punta naman tayo sa tangke... ano ba ang tangke na nasa armored division ng Philippine Army? Light Armored tank battallion or brigadelang yata meron tayo, yung mga Simba tanks? baka na-latero na yung mga armor nila
    The last real tank that we had was the US M4A1 Walker Bulldog light tank. May sample nito sa Camp Capinpin(?) along MacArthur Highway going North, paglagpas mo ng Luisita, Tarlac. Earlier than that was the M4 Sherman medium tank, meron pa yatang display sa PMA. Yang mga Simba, V-150, etc., hindi naman tangke.

M4A1 in Bovington, England. My son in front of it.

oldblue, disadvantage ng VTOL's is fuel consumption, plus it's very tricky. That's why they are more often used as STOL's. Tuloy pa rin naman ang development ... the next generation of planes, the Lockheed X-35, is V/STOL.
    Last edited by StraightSix; October 3rd, 2005 at 10:11 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hey at least the phil army has APCs, oks na un hehe

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer
    hey at least the phil army has APCs, oks na un hehe
    I was just correcting the misimpression ... I'm sure we don't want our saloon/coupe to be called an MPV

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix
    Yep, that was (then) Maj. Jesus Villamor of the Philippine Army Air Corps (PAAC). During the start of WWII, Japanese aircrafts wiped out the US P-36 and P-40 units on the ground (the P-36 and P-40 were America's frontline fighters then). The few remaining that managed to take off were simply brushed aside by the enemy. History, as it is known but currently being challenged by sceptics, shows that Villamor shot down a Zero fighter and a twin-engined bomber (possibly a Betty). Two other Filipino pilots, Gozar and Kare, claimed to have downed a Zero each.
    nice to see that hero's such as my grandfather, the then Lt. Kare, aren't forgotten in our nations history...

you sure know your stuff straightsix

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    do you guys still remember the Falklands war? The brits had their latest hardware then - Sea Harriers FRS.1, firgates with sea wolf which can shoot down incoming artillery rounds, subs with tigershark torpedoes, etc. The argenitian pilots were sitting on heinemann's hot rod toting iron bombs and they had a few super etendards with exocets . . . and they inflicted some serious damage to the royal navy. The A-4's didn't even have any attack radar. All they had were lead-computing gunsights for dogfighting and optical angle-rate bombing system with continuously computing impact point. Those with nerves of steel who didn't release their bombs prematurely hit their targets.

Even the royal marines had to use their milans when their 81mm mortars kept missing the flimsy argetinian bunkers. Good training and a lot of guts do count a lot when the shooting starts. I think our AFP has both - good training and battle-hardened soldiers. They're just too poorly equipped - sayang.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by need4speed
    nice to see that hero's such as my grandfather, the then Lt. Kare, aren't forgotten in our nations history...

you sure know your stuff straightsix

Just showing my appreciation to those whom I owe a lot. I only read. People like your grandfather and his brothers-in-arm did the fighting, and the dying. The least that we can do is appreciate their sacrifices. Maski mga WWII history buffs dito sa England, hindi makapaniwala sa exploits ng PAAC, kasi alam nila capability ng Zero laban sa British Hurricane during the early years.

Unfortunately, there's not much information around regarding heroes such as Lt. Kare. From what I know, they were based in Batangas then. How is he? Did he tell stories about the war? I'd understand if he didn't .... grabe talaga ang panahon na iyon.

Meron akong workmate dito, yung father niya hanggang ngayon may nightmares. Naging POW kasi ng German sa Dunkerque, kaya 5 years ding nakulong. Hanggang ngayon ayaw sabihin yung experience niya.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sad to say he passed away over two decades ago... shrapnel's lodged in his leg still... i was still a youngin back then... my grandma tells us stories of his exploits and that of other relatives who served during WW2.

saw some of the citations he received and medals given by the US gov't. as well. not sure if it was a distinguished service medal of a medal of honor or something.

sad though... not a lot of people know about what happened like many forgotten hero's
    Last edited by need4speed; October 4th, 2005 at 12:52 AM.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Military Hardware Thread [Split]