New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    To those who are an expert on NMT's, please help me out.

About a year ago, I got into the Media Center bandwagon and asked you guys if I should go HTPC or NMT (http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62492). Long story short, after considering a lot of factors, I built myself an HTPC running Windows 7 Media Center because back then, building an HTPC costs about the same as a mid to high-end NMT. And frankly, NMT's during those times were either flaky or insanely expensive.

Well, fast-forward 14 months later, I feel that the current offerings of NMT's have come to a point of maturity in terms of stability and media playability, and that the level of support (both from the manufacturer and the online community) have reached a level that will most likely offer as much future-proofing as an HTPC. So well, I decided to retire my 'HTPC' and use it someplace where its prowess can be utilized more efficiently; as an ordinary desktop. Besides, the Athlon X2 7750 runs so damn hot! Playing '2012' and 'Transformers' in HD tends to cause the CPU fan to turn at max RPM and the resulting fan noise can sometimes be heard clear across the room. I know it was a bad choice for an HTPC processor to start with. Nevertheless, it did its job well during the time I had it.

Moving on, here I am again asking the group. But this time, it's all NMT's.

So in your opinion, which NMT is the best in ALL if not, MOST worlds; Price, performance, stability, customizability, and media support.

A few choices comes to my mind since I began my research:
    1. WD TV Live
    2. Popcorn Hour A-200
    3. Xtreamer Sidewinder

Kindly consider that I already have a Windows Home Server (WHS) which I built a few weeks ago. WHS hosts more than a terabyte of my collection of movies and TV series (still growing) and is shared among all family members that has a computer. It's also running a u******* client 24x7. That said, the NMT does not necessarily have to have a built-in hard disk or a ******* client. All it needs to do is play my movies off of the WHS through the wired (10/100/1000 mbps) or wireless LAN (802.11g)... and then some. Play Internet content, etc. is also a plus

So there.
    Last edited by oj88; November 23rd, 2010 at 11:09 AM.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    I was going to recommend the PCH C200 but since one of your needs is media streaming then the PCH A200 would be fine.

Check out the threads regarding these two NMTs at pinoydvd.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I agree, get the PCH A200. But wdtvlive and the xtreamer are also good players....

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    nice thread sir OJ...i'm also looking for a NMT as a gift for myself this christmas.

have been gathering infos the last two (2) mos. so far xtreamer at cinema tube ang meron akong data (gumawa ako ng comparison table sa excel).

hope our friends here in tsikot can help us...TIA!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The PCH A-200 does seem to be the best of the bunch, at least on the list I made. But costing almost twice as much as the WD TV Live, is it worth it?

I've read negative comments with regards to the Xtreamer Sidewinder's LAN connectivity having some performance/speed issues (other than it's just 10/100 mbps). So that's out.

For now, it's a toss between the WD TV Live and the PCH A-200.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Be sure to buy a NMT from a company that would issue regular firmware updates even for phased out models . Popcorn is a good brand since they still update their older NMTs.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/board,139.0.html

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Just to share.. Im using Xtreamer Media Player for almost a year now. So far I have not encounter any major problem aside from occasional hang-up which was firmware related issue and was immediately resolve by firmware upgrade.

I have a total 3.5 Terabyte SATA2 full of HD 1080p and 720p movies/concert/documentaries. Two(2)- internal 3.5inch hard disk connected to xtreamer via 2 USB port externally powered by cheap HD housing bought from CDR-King. So far the hard disk are still ok.

Xtreamer aftermarket support is high as they always release firmware upgrades for any bugs fixed found and modifications to improve their products. They also host a forum to support their consumers for any questions related to their products.

At 5Kph tag price, it is cheap compared to other well known hard disk media player device. It is also competitive as they incorporated most of the features found in top market media player.

Here are some of the features; iPhone RC Interface, Dolby TrueHD Down MIxing, BluRay ISO Support, Integrated File Manager, Password Folder Lock, XBMC Folder Style, Internet Radio, HD Graphical User Interface (GUI), Ultra Portable, 1080P PlayBack, Multilingual Support, 802.11n Connectivity, Live Internet Content, Movie Juke Box, NFS Client Support, Music Juke Box, Windows 7 Compatible, FTP Server, Subtitles & Playback TrickPlay, H.264 MKV Support, UPnP Web Getway, NAS Mode
    Easy DDnS Support

http://www.xtreamer.net

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    im using xTreamer Sidewinder, no problems so far. just like sir migs267 said, support and firmware and software upgrades are always available...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Im not sure if the PCH A200 supports Blu ray files but i think it does. I believe it can also accomodate a standard HDD right? which i think is a plus for mobility and lesser power consumption.

Xtreamer can accomodate up to 500 gig mobile HDD and with its price, it is more attractive to budget conscious buyers. I think Xtreamer relased 2 new products which could accomodate standard desktop HDD which are more expensive than the sidewinder.

WDTVLive is small and sleek, only drawback i see is that there is no room for internal storage.

PCH firmware support is good, same with xtreamer, Im not sure about WDTVLive.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I take it you don't like Apple's Mac Mini?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
All about Networked Media Tanks (NMT)