New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    im kinda new in here and i've seen your offroading pictures...

i just want to know what are the cars/trucks/pick-ups/4WDs that can be used for Off-roading... ive read that Rav 4 and CRVs are not included. so can i have atleast any idea what ride should i buy in place of my RAV right now...

of course, i want to join you sometime go offroad...

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    pili ka sa mga full-size suv's na to.. syempre dapat 4x4.. kaso mahal.

nissan patrol
    mitsu pajero
    isuzu trooper
    toyota prado
    toyota landcruiser
    ford expedition
    chevy tahoe
    chevy suburban

or thr pick-up trucks!!

mitsu strada
    toyota hi-lux
    nissan frontier
    isuzu fuego
    ford ranger
    ford f-150
    chevy silverado

pero kung gusto mo makamura.. settle for a 2nd hand vehicle -- katulad ng sinabi ni sir otep!!

peace.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bakit naman di pwede rav4?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    actually pwede na yan rav 4 mo, but it will suffer some damages lang. but in terms of capabilities it can compare with other 4x4.

disadvantage is that you don't have low range and open center diffs.

there is this one instance that a nissan pathfinder got stuck in a farm road it had to be towed out, where a cr-v just passed it like it was nothing. the engine power compensated for its lack of low range. it sort of jumped out the rut while the pathfinder being a diesel just spun its tires.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    4x4newbie,

your RAV4, especially if its gen1 (which has a heavier-duty drivetrain than the gen2), and the gen1 cr-v and the escape, will handle undulating dirt roads, a little mud, gravel roads, small rocks, streams about up to 3/4 - 5/6 wheel height i think, and sand without problems, i believe. these small SUVs have more capability than you might be led to believe, imo. only the Grand Vitara among the small SUVs can play with the big guns, arguably

pero if you're talking about off-roading like the Jungle Base off-roading or deep mud or serious boulder-hopping or loose-terrain hill climbs, time to call in the big guns -- kung brand new hanap mo, your only practical choice (fortunately, it's an excellent one) would be the Nissan Patrol converted back to 4x4 for 2M. or, you can buy a new Prado for 2.75M, or a new LC100 for 4M i think. or a grand vitara 4z4 for 1.3M. or a 4x4 pickup truck.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ARB::: If I may ask, did the CRV just breezed by the stuck Pathfinder is because it has momentum going through the mud trap? Did it tried to maneuver from stand still then proceeded to the mud trap? Peace! :D

No doubt, the Suzuki's can compete with the big guns as what mbt pointed. Then the after market parts is not a problem at all.

But based on your post 4x4newbie, you wanted to use it for offroading. From my vantage point, grab a 2nd hand and save yourself some extra bucks for dressing up your ride. Mind you this will be costly. :D BUT, it will be worth it for every centavo that counts.

What to look for in a 4WD vehicle:
    *part or full time transfer case.
    *high ground clearance, (check for the underchassis parts ie; transmission, propeller shaft, transmission support, muffler, tanks. These should be not lower than the vehicles chassis.)
    *front and rear differential lock
    *central diff lock
    *high approach angle ==>> __/
    *high ramp break over angle ==>> __/\__
    *high departure angle \__ ==>>
    *easy to find after market parts

Hope this helps you decide on what specific vehicle for the task you want. :D

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hmm... all your ideas could really enlighten me and my dad (my financer of course!).

well as soon as i get the 4WD we would decide upon, i hope you will still be there to help me fix or set-up whatever is still needed on the 4WD.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sure 4x4newbie!

We will still be here and more infos will be shared by other offroad gurus watching this forum. :D

Hope you find the best suitable vehicle available on the market.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kiper18
    pili ka sa mga full-size suv's na to.. syempre dapat 4x4.. kaso mahal.

nissan patrol
    mitsu pajero
    isuzu trooper
    toyota prado
    toyota landcruiser
    ford expedition
    chevy tahoe
    chevy suburban

or thr pick-up trucks!!

mitsu strada
    toyota hi-lux
    nissan frontier
    isuzu fuego
    ford ranger
    ford f-150
    chevy silverado

pero kung gusto mo makamura.. settle for a 2nd hand vehicle -- katulad ng sinabi ni sir otep!!

peace.
    kung gusto mo talagang makamura mag-assemble ka.
    but if you have enough budget, get a landrover.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    assemble? hmmm? like how? so that i can also explain it to my dad...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Help!! 4WDs for Offroad