New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Went to del monte bukidnon last week. We were riding in the current model elantra. Naawa ako sa kotse cause there was a very very long dirt road. Mabagal kami while trucks and suvs overtook us.
    This may sound like a stupid question, excuse me. Do suvs/cuvs/pickups have more durable suspensions or engine supports kaya pwede sila humataw sa dirt roads? O mas mataas lang kasi sila kaya d sila masyado matatamaan ng mga lumilipad na bato tulad ng regular car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tsikot Car Forums

2. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Depende sa sasakyan sir. Un mga mabilis na suv panigurado ladder frame yun mga un. Crv rav4 etc kawawa sa dirt road ang mga yan, pwede pero sayang suspension

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox20 View Post
    Went to del monte bukidnon last week. We were riding in the current model elantra. Naawa ako sa kotse cause there was a very very long dirt road. Mabagal kami while trucks and suvs overtook us.
    This may sound like a stupid question, excuse me. Do suvs/cuvs/pickups have more durable suspensions or engine supports kaya pwede sila humataw sa dirt roads? O mas mataas lang kasi sila kaya d sila masyado matatamaan ng mga lumilipad na bato tulad ng regular car?

It really depends on the type of SUV or pickup you are talking about.

Most CUVs, smaller SUVs and some pickups have car based suspensions and simply just have more clearance under the vehicle. Good for light offroad but not really heavy duty work.

More heavy duty SUVs or heavy duty pickups have ladder frame chassis which helps keep the entire vehicle rigid. Bad for overall comfort but great for offroad use.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    ladder frame ba chassis ng crosswind?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020E using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    ^^^ It's ladder frame.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Maybe a related question: when driving through rough, unpaved, and uneven roads, whether in a power or pawis steering, ano ba mas maganda for the steering mechanism - hold on to the steering wheel to keep it straight, medyo let the wheel have some free play, or it really doesn't matter?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    mas pwede patakbuhin ng mabilis ang suv at pick up sa rough roads dahil mas malaki ang gulong nito sa sedan. mas matagal din masira ang suspension nito lalo na kung solid axle ang harap at likod. mas mataas din ang ground clearance.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    So halimbawa may isang vios at isang navarra na sakto lang ang dirt road nadinadaanan everyday, mas unang masisira ang vios? Mas matibay ang ladder frame? Is the punishment that the engine takes from the dirt road lessened by high frame and bigger tires?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox20 View Post
    So halimbawa may isang vios at isang navarra na sakto lang ang dirt road nadinadaanan everyday, mas unang masisira ang vios? Mas matibay ang ladder frame? Is the punishment that the engine takes from the dirt road lessened by high frame and bigger tires?

Simply put, yes.

Pero hindi engine ang mauunang masira, suspension. Ang suspension ng Vios hindi naman designed to take that kind of abuse, kaya mas mauunang bumigay kaysa sa heavy duty suspension ng Navara.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree with the observation of GH; ladder SUVs and purposely designed SUVs, and pick-ups usually have beefier suspensions but in a well-paved/graded dirt road, the bigger tires would be the x-factor.

I've drove there as well and the Vios we were using was still quite okay with the dirt roads in Del Monte. Same goes with the Lancer i used in Dole (Polomolok) many years ago. The dirt roads i encountered there that time were regularly graded so you can actually take it at good speed with a regular sedan if you're familiar with the roads and bagong grade siya. Na flat lang ako minsan because of an unusually sharp rock that entered the tire like a nail. Whether you're in an SUV or car, always thread lightly and be mindful too of the dust you're kicking up for the people and homes by the side of the road. Yung sa Dole and Del Monte nga lang, nasa gitna ng pineapple fields usually kaya you can go faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Regular cars passing on dirt roads