New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Was watching The Grand Tour and they pitted a beat-up sedan (Renault 9) vs 3 GT cars (BMW 850i, Bentley Continental, Aston DBS) on a 50-mile race across towns, highways, and backroads.

The 55-hp Renault had a 2 minute headstart which you'd expect the GTs (all above 500 hp) to catch - but the reality is that external factors (traffic, speed limits) and driver capability/road knowledge matter infinitely more than how fast your car can go. Net, the beat-up car got to the destination ahead of the GTs.

Which brings me to my point - all the performance mods that people put on their cars will not make them get to their destinations any faster. A Vios can get to Baguio just as quickly as a Supra can, if you push it hard enough.

The advantage of course of having a faster car is that it feels better to drive. Also, if you mod your car right and have the corresponding skills to maximize them, you could shave a few seconds off your lap times (although really, less than 1% of people who mod their cars ever bring them to a track).

A snippet of the Grand Tour mini-segment here:
    The Grand Tour: Real World Race - YouTube

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    GTs? TG hosts? I'd pay to see a couple of veteran PUV drivers driving a couple of dinky cabs in that episode instead. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    As EQ would always say, "it is much more fun driving a slow car fast".

4. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    As my dad used to point out, what good is a sports car in (metro manila) traffic?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Of course fast cars won't have that much advantage in the real world. People buy them or tweak their cars to go fast for status symbol.... bragging rights.... like owning a real life "Top Trumps" card, a game we used to play in the 80's.

And a tiny percentage just have a passion for the finer things. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Doesn't matter if you take first class or economy on a plane. You'd still be arriving at the same time. However, the overall experience is vastly different.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Of course fast cars won't have that much advantage in the real world. People buy them or tweak their cars to go fast for status symbol.... bragging rights.... like owning a real life "Top Trumps" card, a game we used to play in the 80's.

And a tiny percentage just have a passion for the finer things. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Doesn't matter if you take first class or economy on a plane. You'd still be arriving at the same time. However, the overall experience is vastly different.
    Yes it's the same with branded shirts vs Uniqlo shirts, or Swiss watches vs Seiko 5s. It's really about the status and a taste for finer things - though I've seen so many people make justifications for their luxury purchases.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If we are all practical people, we will all be driving Innovas.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Matagal ko na sinasabi na lahat ng pwedeng puntahan ng BMW kaya rin puntahan ng vios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Kaya hindi na big deal yung kupad ng crosswind dahil sa sobrang trapik na. Hindi mo na magamit yung performance na binayaran mo sa mga high end cars [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Locally, UV express vans are the fastest. Driving on the wrong lane, counterflowing, beating red lights and a devil may care attitude are just too much of an advantage.

I agree that a better driver with a slower car can be quicker than a mediocre driver with a faster car. But from experience most of the time I arrive a little bit earlier with a faster car. And I'm less tired when I get to my destination.

Law of diminishing returns applies of course, and sometimes I still wonder if I would have been better off getting the cheaper option in past car purchases.

I just try to play mind games with myself and enjoy what I have. If I feel like I underspent, I tell myself I'm enjoying the savings. If I feel like I overspent, I just tell myself the thing is there already. Might as well enjoy it.
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; January 3rd, 2020 at 10:36 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast