New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Porsche to produce vehicles in Malaysia starting 2022 -AUTOINDUSTRIYA

Porsche has big plans for the ASEAN region. The German marque announced that they will be opening their first facility in the region next year. Yes, Porsches will soon be built in the ASEAN region, and it will be their first assembly plant outside of Europe. Specifically, the brand's new production site will be located in Malaysia.

But why the ASEAN region? According to Porsche, South East Asia represents “a very dynamic market environment” with “significant growth and innovation potentials”. Subsequently, having an assembly plant in the region will allow them to keep pace with evolving customer and market demands.

The Malaysia-assembled Porsches will be done together with its long-standing partner Sime Darby Berhad. For reference, they're also the group behind the Malaysian-built BMW vehicles. At the moment, Porsche has yet to disclose which models will be built at the Malaysia plant. However, they say “the vehicles will specifically match local requirements”. Production of vehicles will also begin in 2022.

The vehicles to be assembled in Malaysia will likely be the Macan and the Cayenne. Given the popularity of the two SUVs, it would be the most logical choice. These two models are some of Porsche's best-selling models globally, after all. Meanwhile, fans of the 911 would surely be up in pitchforks if Porsche started building the flagship sportscar outside of Stuttgart.

With Porsche setting up shop in Malaysia, does this mean the Philippines will source Porsche vehicles from our ASEAN neighbor? No, at least for now. Porsche says the models that will be assembled at the new facility will be exclusive to the Malaysian market. However, the automaker did not give indications whether the Malaysia plant will serve as a hub for ASEAN markets in the future.

What do you think of Malaysian-built Porsches? Should Porsche Philippines source vehicles from Malaysia in the future to cut costs, or is Stuttgart still the way to go?

Imagine Porsche has a plant in Santa Rosa, Laguna or elsewhere in the Philippines. Some of our ASEAN neighbors has some plants from other German automakers not just Porsche.

German car factory in the Philippines is only just a dream. Unless there will be a very big changes to our government systems.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Let's be honest, change needed not just in our government, but among our workers as well.
    Filipino workers are notoriously unproductive despite numerous populist wage increases.

This is from 2015, but I really don't think much has changed since then aside from wage increases in 2016 through 2019.

Minimum Wages in ASEAN for 221

For 2021 our minimum wage is already higher than Malaysia, but I expect productivity to be more or less the same as above. It's just not efficient to manufacture stuff here.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    ^^^ and the Philippines is too pro labor.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    iba ang pinoy work ethic

sa 9 to 5 working hours ilan oras lang talaga ang real work

puro chika chika kape kape facebook

siguro kalahati ng araw lang real work

5. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    The Malaysian car market is actually larger

Even with just 1/3 the population but 3x the gdp per capita.

Obviously our government has always been pro-labor, as that is the fastest way to lose elections. The endo worker is an issue that was exploited during the election, but we all knew it wasnt going to be banned.

We aren’t going to be hiring blue collar foreign workers either, that would be too unpopular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    Porsche to produce vehicles in Malaysia starting 2022 -AUTOINDUSTRIYA

Porsche has big plans for the ASEAN region. The German marque announced that they will be opening their first facility in the region next year. Yes, Porsches will soon be built in the ASEAN region, and it will be their first assembly plant outside of Europe. Specifically, the brand's new production site will be located in Malaysia.

But why the ASEAN region? According to Porsche, South East Asia represents “a very dynamic market environment” with “significant growth and innovation potentials”. Subsequently, having an assembly plant in the region will allow them to keep pace with evolving customer and market demands.

The Malaysia-assembled Porsches will be done together with its long-standing partner Sime Darby Berhad. For reference, they're also the group behind the Malaysian-built BMW vehicles. At the moment, Porsche has yet to disclose which models will be built at the Malaysia plant. However, they say “the vehicles will specifically match local requirements”. Production of vehicles will also begin in 2022.

The vehicles to be assembled in Malaysia will likely be the Macan and the Cayenne. Given the popularity of the two SUVs, it would be the most logical choice. These two models are some of Porsche's best-selling models globally, after all. Meanwhile, fans of the 911 would surely be up in pitchforks if Porsche started building the flagship sportscar outside of Stuttgart.

With Porsche setting up shop in Malaysia, does this mean the Philippines will source Porsche vehicles from our ASEAN neighbor? No, at least for now. Porsche says the models that will be assembled at the new facility will be exclusive to the Malaysian market. However, the automaker did not give indications whether the Malaysia plant will serve as a hub for ASEAN markets in the future.

What do you think of Malaysian-built Porsches? Should Porsche Philippines source vehicles from Malaysia in the future to cut costs, or is Stuttgart still the way to go?

Imagine Porsche has a plant in Santa Rosa, Laguna or elsewhere in the Philippines. Some of our ASEAN neighbors has some plants from other German automakers not just Porsche.

German car factory in the Philippines is only just a dream. Unless there will be a very big changes to our government systems.
    if i remember right noong early 90's BMW used to assemble cars here already. yun e36 316i and 320i.

that would be great for a myriad of reasons kung magkaroon ng factory dito but you are correct about needing changes. there is a good reason kung bakit isa isa nawawala mga assembly plant sa atin. though i have a question kung galing bang malaysia significantly mas mag mura yung price?
    Last edited by babkalakal; September 1st, 2021 at 09:39 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    if i remember right noong early 90's BMW used to assemble cars here already. yun e36 316i and 320i.

that would be great for a myriad of reasons kung magkaroon ng factory dito but you are correct about needing changes. there is a good reason kung bakit isa isa nawawala mga assembly plant sa atin. though i have a question kung galing bang malaysia significantly mas mag mura yung price?
    A Malaysian BMW 520i is 3.99M

Its much cheaper than German made models, but those also have larger engines. Also it could just be the Asean tax reductions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    malulugi lang talaga mga car assembly plant dito sa pinas

many have tried and gave up

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ano na nangyari sa phuv and pinoy built motor vehicle dream nila jpdm

ung mga kadebate ko more than 10 years ago dito sa forum

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    ano na nangyari sa phuv and pinoy built motor vehicle dream nila jpdm

ung mga kadebate ko more than 10 years ago dito sa forum
    Di pa nagpoprosper kasi nagmimeeting pa rin about cba with union leaders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Porsche to produce vehicles in Malaysia starting 2022