New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Conrado R. Banal III
    Inquirer News Service

TODAY I yield this space to two letters from our readers. Both of them concern lawyers.

I have nothing against lawyers. But it seems a lot of US companies have.

At one time, the US association of advertising companies did a survey among the largest US corporations, asking the CEOs to rank the departments or units in their corporations, in terms of importance to the success of their businesses.

Coming at top spot was "product development," followed by "public relations," etc.

But what struck me most about the survey were the bottom dwellers. Second to the last was "advertising." And the last, but definitely the least was ... well, "LEGAL."

One of the letters came from a certain Carmela Lee, who related in other letters to us how she went through hell just to get what was rightfully hers, in the first place.

It was a claim for benefits from the education insurance of her son.

It turned out Ms Lee got the benefits, all right, but she got more than what she has bargained for.

And that is a court suit!

It was filed by -- surprise -- the lawyer of the education insurance company against Ms Lee, who was their loyal customer. Nice, no!

The other letter was actually not addressed to us, but to Equitable PCI Bank.

And yes, it was written by -- you guessed it -- a lawyer!

Based on the letter, it seems a certain Selwyn Lao, an engineer, used a piece of property as collateral to a loan from the bank.

But after he completely paid off the loan, the bank still would not release its hold on the property.

The loan officer told Mr. Lao that he had to see -- what else -- the legal department.

And there, the lawyers told him that his property would only be released, if he would drop an earlier court case which he filed against the bank.

This, in another place and time, could also be called blackmail.

MS LEE'S letter goes:

"If there may ever exist a definitive case study on how NOT to treat a customer, I strongly believe the following story should be one."

"This is about an incident last March 29 at the main office of Pacific Education Plans on Senator Gil J. Puyat Avenue. I stopped by to voice out my concerns on why Pacific Education Plans did not want to honor its financial commitment to the education plan of one of my sons. (This is another story altogether.)"

"I was referred to Mr. Gregorio Mangila Jr., assistant manager for education and benefits. I did not find satisfaction in his explanation, and so he had me see an Attorney Regidor Caringal, who was supposedly one of their in-house counsels. At the onset, Caringal exhibited arrogance, instead of a willingness to help a customer of the company he worked for. He not only refused to shake my hand, but he also brushed off my explanation on why I should be properly reimbursed, continuing to wave his hands in a negative manner."

"Because of his bad attitude and stubborn refusal to hear me out, I picked up my cell phone and called an acquaintance to ask who at Pacific Education Plans might properly assist me. While on the phone I was at the same time holding a pen to take down notes. Suddenly, Caringal stuck his finger in my face, saying I had no right to point at him like that. He went on to say, "Dahil ba mayaman ka, gaganyanin mo ako? [You treat me this way just because you are rich?]" I shot back that I did not point the pen at him. I added, "Huh, anong mayaman? [Who's rich?] If I were rich, would I even take the trouble to get every centavo out of my child's education plan?" As if that was not enough, Caringal responded with a "put.... ina mo!"

Since this individual is a so-called lawyer, I now wonder if his despicable behavior is common among those coming out of our law schools nowadays.

"Ironically, Pacific Education Plans and I later reached an amicable settlement regarding the education plan in question. So what Caringal said about my being ineligible for reimbursement was even untrue. I wish the story could have ended there, but it did not. A few weeks ago, I had to post bail because Caringal has brought a charge of slander against me."

"I have brought up the incident with Caringal and his legal actions against me not only with the upper management of Pacific Plans but with the chair herself, Ms Helen Yuchengco-Dy, but to no avail. It seems they have done a Pontius Pilate by stating that Caringal's actions were of his own accord, and they were clear of any responsibility concerning them. I would suggest they reevaluate their stand.

"Employee arrogance and abuse done on company premises during company office hours are surely their responsibility!

"So is this any way to treat a customer? The reason I subscribed to Pacific Plans was to save money for my children's education. Instead, I will have to spend more for my legal defense against an employee who is involved with so-called customer service. A word of caution: If you decide to buy an educational plan, then beware of signing up with Pacific Plans. If you do, and dare to complain, you may just find yourself in court."

FOLLOWING are excerpts from the second letter:

"... [In] behalf of our client, in regard to your unjustified and inordinate act in withholding the release of Transfer Certificate of Title No. 7753-R (in the name of our client, which was turned over to you as security for the loan he obtained from your bank), notwithstanding full payment thereof allegedly on the ground that there is a pending case between our client and your bank. Please find attached herewith the Certification of "no outstanding obligation" issued by Mr. Mar de Guzman, junior assistant manager, for your reference."

"... [Said] case has nothing to do with the loan which was already settled in full by our client. Said case refers to another transaction involving crossed checks drawn by our client against your bank but deposited to the account other than the payee. Consequently, the withholding of the release of the title of our client, despite his full payment of his outstanding obligation is not only whimsical, despotic, arbitrary but likewise illegal."

copyright ©2004 INQ7money.net all rights reserved

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    hmm..

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    grabe naman yan. dati kong client ang Pacific Plans, Inc. grabe kung ako ang ginanon ewan ko lang baka kung anong magawa ko sa Caringal na yan (my brother is also a lawyer pero di naman ganun ugali nya). demandahan na lang.!!!! balita ko magpapalit na ng pangalan ang Pacific Plans, Inc. paano lugi na sila sa kapalpakan nila. Si Gregorio Mangila although I have nothing against him isa lang masasabi ko................ kung di mo kaya work mo dyan umalis ka na lang hehehehehe................ si Helen Dy naku palaging play safe yan walang silbi. I have nothing against Pacific Plans, Inc. pero isa lang din masasabi ko..................... sana wag kayo lalong malugi pag nagpalit kayo ng company name hehehehehehe........... more power!!!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I feel said hearing people targeting a particular vocation/profession, as lawyers, engineers, mechanic, priests, as object of ridicule or villification, simply because the profession itself is an idealism and a concept. There may be people in such profession that disgraces his profession but the profession and the individual must be treated separately, if not reasonably. For one many are called to the profession but few live to the ideals of their profession. I do not profess to be "holier-than-thou" but somebody has to clarify things so others are not mislead.
    Isn't it possible that lawyer whom the complainant is accusing may only be sourgraping when he failed to get what he wanted? But little that he know that the lawyer is not being a lawyer when he was answered but a mere employee mouthing the policy of his company! For one thing, a lawyer is trained as an advocate of what he think is right and will do everything legally possible, as his profession dictates, to win his case.
    I truly understand Mr. Banal reporting incidents like that without verifying issues or motives, as often is the gripe of many against some journalist, because a newspaperman in our dear Philippines is only one of hundreds of journalists who struggle to get so limited materials in Metro Manila for their daily column. Imagine even our distinguished socio-political journalists are writing about Paquiao, or the adventures of a starlet?
    This is but an opinion, and like yours, I lend respect, as I must in ambivalence. Devils advocacy lang, Pre.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Lawyers? Hhmmm.... Wala akong masabi... tsk tsk tsk

:starwars:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lawyers???

well......:kill: :chop:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    An engineer dies and reports to hell. Pretty soon, the engineer gets dissatisfied with the level of comfort in hell, and starts designing and building improvements. After a while, they've got air conditioning and flush toilets and escalators, and the engineer is a pretty popular guy.

One day God calls Satan up on the telephone and says with a sneer, "So, how's it going down there in hell?"

Satan replies, "Hey things are going great. We've got air conditioning and flush toilets and escalators, and there's no telling what this engineer is going to come up with next."

God replies, "What??? You've got an engineer? That's a mistake -- he should never have gotten down there; send him up here."

Satan says, "No way. I like having an engineer on the staff, and I'm keeping him."

God says, "Send him back up here or I'll sue you."

Satan laughs, "Yeah, right. And just where are you going to get a lawyer?"

---------------
    Q: If you are stranded on a desert island with Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, and a lawyer, and you have a gun with only two bullets, what do you do?
    A: Shoot the lawyer twice.

---------------
    Q: What do you have when a lawyer is buried up to his neck in sand?
    A: Not enough sand

---------------
    How many lawyers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None, lawyers only screw us.

just kidding, mga kapatid in the legal profession

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Lawyers..... well.... right now whenever a person has something to do with the law, they always percieve themselves above the law and more knowledgeable than anyone....... and now, the good one's are the exception.....

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Well, i have a situation with a lawyer now. a partner from a law firm in Makati, he is threatening to sue me if i don't replace his laptop (which died for some reason). I said that the standard procedure of the service center is repair it 3x and that if it still bogs down, then replacement is the solution.

However, he wants his unit to be either replaced or refunded - now - after using it for 5mos despite the warranty being honored locally. He insists he can sue me and make my life like hell.

Here's the twister, i only asked a friend abroad to buy it for him so that he saves more than 15k. Ako na nga ang tumulong, ako pa ngayon may problema. hehehheehheeh..

Oh well, it's good to have God on my side and a friend from a prominent law firm to defend me if ever this person decides to try screwing the law in his favor.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yun nga....the fact that you facilitated the purchase, gave him that right to sue you...so sabihin mo e di sue me....as if mabilis tumakbo ang kaso dito sa pilipinas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Lawyers...$%&#*$&&!!!