New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    2 long weekends in August

MANILA, Philippines -- The public can look forward to two long weekends in August after President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo signed a new law rationalizing the celebration of national holidays.

Under Republic Act 9492, most holidays, except for those with religious significance, are moved to the nearest Monday.

Thus, in August, Ninoy Aquino Day, which is celebrated on August 21, a Tuesday, is automatically moved to August 20, a Monday.

National Heroes Day, which is celebrated every last Monday of August, will be on August 27.

In the event the holiday falls on a Wednesday, the holiday will be observed on the Monday of that week. If the holiday falls on a Sunday, the holiday will be observed on the Monday following.

All Saints Day (November 1) and New Year’s Eve will be observed on their original dates.

For regular holidays, those to be celebrated on their original dates are New Year's Day (January 1), Christmas Day (December 25) and Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Eidul Fitr, whose dates vary each year.

Araw ng Kagitingan is moved to the Monday nearest April 9, Labor Day is moved to the Monday nearest May 1, Independence Day is moved to the Monday nearest June 12, Bonifacio Day is moved to the Monday nearest November 30, and Rizal Day is moved to the Monday nearest December 30.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I still think moving Araw ng Kalayaan is stupid.

It's not just because it's a total insult to history. Hey, they're not the ones who have to put up with the traffic in Kawit every 12th of June because it didn't fall on a Monday when there wouldn't be any work/class.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It makes more sense than issuing a proclamation every single holiday.

But yeah, Araw ng Kalayaan should always fall on the 12th.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    good decision for me.

long weekends is really nice.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Nice. I only have 2 classes in school, MWF. Sana ginawa na lang nila friday hahahaha

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    nice! long weekend!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    i'm not sure but i believe in australia they just designate holidays as on certain mondays? parang they just say x holiday will be on 2nd monday of july.

is this true? that would've been even less confusing. just my 2c

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    great move.here what they do is say the holiday falls on saturday or sunday, monday will definitely be a non working day.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If the holiday falls on a weekend, the following monday should not be declared a non-working day. Very counter productive ito.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    If the holiday falls on a weekend, the following monday should not be declared a non-working day. Very counter productive ito.
    +1, We don't need more holidays.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast