New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    from: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryID=15940

Seventy-nine percent or Filipinos wanted President Arroyo impeached over alleged poll rigging and bribery, according to a survey released Saturday.

The third-quarter survey by the pollster Social Weather Stations had 1,200 respondents and was made just before the House Committee on Justice voted to dismiss all three impeachment complaints against the President.

"Anti-Arroyo feelings ran very high in the last few days of the recent hearings of the House Committee on Justice," said the survey, which had a 3-percent error margin.

The poll found 79 percent of the respondents wanted Mrs. Arroyo impeached because of the prevailing sentiment that her telephone conversation with an election official was tantamount to cheating.

"Most Filipinos [believe that Mrs. Arroyo’s] admitted phone calls to a [Commission on Elections] official amounted to instructing him to cheat in the 2004 election and were not merely meant to protect her votes as she claimed in her June 27 apology," the SWS said in a statement.

Presented other exit options for Mrs. Arroyo, 64 percent said they wanted her to resign, and another 51 percent said she should be removed through a people-power revolt.

The results of the survey disputed claims by 158 lawmakers, in voting to throw out all three impeachment cases against the President, that their position reflected the sentiments of their constituents.

Refusing to accept defeat, the advocates of impeachment said they would resurrect the case by filing a motion for reconsideration once Congress resumes session on September 19.

Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano of Taguig-Pateros said the proimpeachment group needs only one congressman who voted to dismiss Oliver Lozano’s complaint as lacking in substance to file the motion during the plenary session.

He said once the "yes" congressman files the motion, it will be seconded and put to a vote. But the impeachment advocates need 27 more endorsers to complete the 79 to be able to send the complaint to the Senate. Cayetano said this is allowed under House rules.

The proimpeachment lawmakers decided not to file a case before the Supreme Court to question the House’s dismissal of the impeachment complaint. Instead they will bring the case directly to the people through demonstrations and rallies.

The 236-seat House voted to dismiss the cases against Mrs. Arroyo at the end of a 23-hour session on Tuesday.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sabi wag daw paniwalaan ang mga survey

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    san kaya nila kinuha yung respondents nila?
    1,200 people represents the entire country?
    i dont think so. this is a stupid press release.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade
    san kaya nila kinuha yung respondents nila?
    1,200 people represents the entire country?
    i dont think so. this is a stupid press release.
    all reputable survey companies in the country are in that range of respondents in making their survey and most of their survey results as proven in the past have only less than 5% error baseed in the past elections. if you don't know how the survey works, then i understand why you made a comment like that.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    79% may not be an accurate figure, but for sure, more than half want the President out. It's a sad thing the plenary voting depended on the congressmen's personal choice and not their constituents'.

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    This is just something I don't get on Philippine Surveys. I'm not quite sure if I would beleive these surveys. Kung ang election returns nga sa Pilipinas ay wala takot na dinodoctor maski na they can be criminally charged for doing such, how much more on surveys na ganito.

How reliable would the survey be and be reflective of the true sentiments of the entire filipino population? And still, tuloy pa rin sila ng karereport. I don't see anything bad about it but will it really make a difference when we all know how these surveys are done.

While I beleive that surveys should be done, something in this survey is just inherently flawed. 79% is a big number,by the way, and if the President sees that only 21% is actually in favor of her staying in power, then she should leave at once. BUT that doesn't seem like happening. WHY? Well for one, the Palace does not beleive in these surveys and clearly for the same rationale as I have.

SO, all I can say is: SO WHAT if 79% want GMA impeached? Obviously, not even the House of REP is convinced that she should be!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    79% is not precise, but at least it gives us a picture of what most filipinos feel.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by explorer
    all reputable survey companies in the country are in that range of respondents in making their survey and most of their survey results as proven in the past have only less than 5% error baseed in the past elections. if you don't know how the survey works, then i understand why you made a comment like that.
    So can you explain how this survey works and give us some mathematical analysis on how this statistics is supposed to be accurate?

Unless you can tell us the mathematics on how this survey works, then I understand that you are just someone who will readily believe in any kind of propaganda you read in the newspapers.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm13
    79% is not precise, but at least it gives us a picture of what most filipinos feel.
    Statistics is one of the most abused fields in science. People always love to play with numbers to convince other people. Anyone who is clueless on how statistics is actually performed will readily believe any kind of number or percentage - sink and sinker.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    It's a sad thing the plenary voting depended on the congressmen's personal choice and not their constituents'.
    Simply because the CONSTITUTION has mandated how the voting should be done. The CONSTITUTION did not say that a REFERENDUM is needed to impeach the president.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
SWS poll: 79 percent want GMA impeached