New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Philippines now known as PHL or PH, not RP, says DFA

MANILA, Philippines — Instead of using RP, which is the acronym for the Republic of the Philippines, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and its Foreign Service Posts (FSPs) will now use the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) initials PH or PHL when referring to the Philippines.

This is in accordance with DFA Department Order No. 16-10 dated October 20 issued by Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto G. Romulo which directed 67 Embassies, 23 Consulates General, and four Permanent Missions to use the initials PH or PHL.

This is line with the Philippine membership with the ISO, as well as to avoid the ambiguity and confusion with the use of the initials RP.

"The long standing use of the initials RP is not in accordance with ISO codes, leading to ambiguous initials that can also refer to other countries," the DFA explained in a statement released on Thursday.

The ISO developed the ISO3166-1 codes, assigning two-letter (alpha-2) and three-letter (alpha-3) code to member-countries.

ISO 3166-1 is part of the ISO 3166 standard adopted by the ISO, and defines codes for the names of countries, dependent territories, and special areas of geographical interest. The codes for the Philippines are PH and PHL, respectively.

These codes are used in the Philippines and abroad in airline ticketing, passport issuances, currencies, and internationally-traded shares of stocks, among others.

The DFA office of consular affairs(OCA) adopts and reflects the ISO three-letter codes in the data pages of the Philippine electronic passport.

The ISO standards provide technological, economic, and societal benefits. For businesses, the widespread adoption of international standards means that suppliers can develop and offer products and services meeting specifications that have wide international acceptance in their sectors. For governments, international standards provide the technological and scientific bases underpinning health, safety, and environmental legislation.

The ISO is an international standard-setting body composed of representatives from various national standards organizations.

Founded on February 23, 1947, the organization promulgates worldwide proprietary industrial and commercial standards.

The Philippines is represented in the organization by the Bureau of Product Standards of the Department of Trade and Industry.

Adoption of these initials was recently endorsed by former Ambassador Juan Ona and the DFA Tattlers Group, a group of retired and active Philippine envoys.
    http://mb.com.ph

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    when we were on tour 2005 at hawaii and san francisco, they refer philippines to PI (philippine island i suppose) but for me it sounds different

rp, pi, ph, phl does it really matter?

at the airport you can see that its phl written there

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    ^ minsan naman PHILS.

pero oks lang. whatever....huwag lang BR.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Akala ko matagal ng PH ang ginagamit.

+1 to sir cutedoc. PI nga gamet nila especially those retired US armed forces who were based in Subic/Clark before.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cutedoc View Post
    when we were on tour 2005 at hawaii and san francisco, they refer philippines to PI (philippine island i suppose) but for me it sounds different

rp, pi, ph, phl does it really matter?

at the airport you can see that its phl written there
    Somehow, PI for me, sounds like (Magnum) P(rivate) I(nvestigator). So, it sinks well, when I hear that...

Used to be when asked, "Where are you from?" and you answered "From the Philippines",- they return to you with a blank stare. But answer "From Manila",- then they respond positively.....

11.1K:transform:

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    PI sounds a belittling. We live in a Archiepelego for one. Also PI is synonymous to a tagalog bad word.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    pi is an old name that the turn of the 20th century americans used to refer to the philippines since we were not a republic then. . .the name stuck even after our independence in 1946 and we became a republic

ang nakakatawa e yung mga pilipino na napunta sa states. . .nagaya na sa mga ignoranteng kano (americans suck in geography) and call the philippines pi themselves

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    PI sounds a belittling. We live in a Archiepelego for one. ....
    Bro., I guess PI means Philippine Islands, not Island. And, an archipelago is a group of islands, so there goes......

11.1K:transform:

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    How about PLIP na lang?....mga di dapat palitan pinapalitan.

Philippines now known as PHL or PH, not RP, says DFA