New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    after the controversial, anomalous election computerization...now this....iba talaga pag chairman ng COMELEC....hinde magalaw ng mga politician dahil kailangan siya sa election

Abalos admits ties with ZTE
    By Sheila Crisostomo
    Friday, August 31, 2007 Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Benjamin Abalos admitted yesterday knowing some officials of the Chinese firm ZTE Corp. but denied brokering the controversial $330-million national broadband network (NBN) contract in exchange for golf and ***.
    Abalos said he sought the help of ZTE officials regarding the importation business of his daughter.
    “I know some of them because of my daughter. They helped my daughter in sourcing some supplies for her importation business. But we never talked about that transaction,” Abalos told The STAR.
    Abalos admitted the Chinese executives have become his golfing buddies at Wack-Wack Golf Course in Mandaluyong City, where he is also an official.
    “China has some of the best golf courses in the world. I think since last year, I traveled there four times. I can’t remember when but I was on vacation then. And ZTE has absolutely nothing to do with those trips,” he stressed.
    Regarding the column of STAR columnist Jarius Bondoc who revealed a ranking Comelec official had lobbied for the ZTE deal in exchange for money and ***, the 73-year-old Abalos said he does not feel alluded to.
    “I can never leave my wife in Hong Kong to be in the company of two women in China. I cannot do that to my wife. We’ve been married for (almost) 50 years now. Three more years and we’ll be celebrating our golden anniversary,” he said.
    Abalos said he and his wife talked about the issue and they had a good laugh. “She is not affected at all because she knows it’s not true. My family is not affected.”
    “In the first place, my wife is also not a big spender so she would not do a shopping spree in Hong Kong. Aside from that, we have our own store so she does not have to do that,” he added.
    Abalos also told dzMM that he introduced the ZTE officials to Finance Secretary Margarito Teves after they expressed interest in putting up a processing plant in Davao.
    Abalos though maintained the Chinese officials did not ask any favor from him for the approval of the NBN contract.
    Abalos explained he could not take part in the approval of the deal since he is not familiar with the communications industry.
    “As far as I know that’s supposed to be a government to government transaction, I mean from the news reports I have been receiving. If it was a government to government transaction how could I be involved?” he added.
    No need for bidding
    Transportation Secretary Leandro Mendoza, for his part, defended the NBN deal, reiterating the contract was aboveboard and advantageous to the Philippine government.
    Mendoza also told dzMM that the contract with ZTE Corp. was thoroughly examined, deliberated on and subsequently approved by the board of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) as required by law.
    “The legal and bureaucratic processes needed for the approval of the contract were duly followed,” he said.
    On questions over why there was no public bidding, Mendoza explained that a “government-to-government” deal was forged between the Philippines and China which, he claimed, made bidding unnecessary.
    He also stressed that two unsolicited proposals submitted by private firms to build a broadband network for the government on a build-operate-transfer scheme, referring to Amsterdam Holdings Inc. (AHI) and Arescom, were found to be defective by the DOTC.
    Mendoza claimed AHI in its proposal did not identify the source of funding for the project.
    Arescom’s offer also had questions regarding the sourcing of its funding, he said.
    Mendoza said both AHI and Arescom were regarded by the DOTC as lacking in experience in establishing broadband connectivity.
    The project involves linking all the country’s local government units in one communication network, providing for instant communication with the government offices and departments in Manila.
    Mendoza pointed out that the NEDA board found the ZTE proposal to be the “best proposal” and approved it for implementation.
    The DOTC and the Department of Finance are the two government departments tasked to implement the agreement.
    The Central Bank of the Philippines will also approve and supervise the funding process, Mendoza explained.
    Mendoza said ZTE, as the largest state-owned high-tech communications company in China, has a proven record of establishing broadband projects in various countries around the world.
    Funding for the project will be covered by a government loan from the Import-Export Bank of China, owned by the Chinese government.
    During the interview, Mendoza admitted the copies of the contract which he signed in China were lost while in the possession of Emmanuel Nino Wee Ang, the Philippine commercial attaché in Hakou, Hainan, China.
    Mendoza, however, said the lost contract was reconstituted through the “control” copies held by both Philippine and ZTE officials.
    He said the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) even helped in the investigation on how the copies of the contract were lost.
    Mendoza said the DOTC is studying possible legal actions against Ang, an employee of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).
    ‘Undue influence’
    Abalos, on the other hand, claimed he could not see the reason why Nueva Vizcaya Rep. Carlos Padilla had linked him to the NBN deal.
    “I am not that influential,” he said.
    On Wednesday, Padilla exposed in a privilege speech the alleged irregularities in the transaction, saying an inquiry was needed so that remedial legislation that would plug loopholes in existing laws could be crafted.
    For instance, why would such a huge contract not be subject to public bidding? Padilla asked. He noted that an American firm and a local company had submitted proposals to undertake the project at $200 million less than the amount of the contract given to ZTE.
    In fact, after the Chinese firm bagged the deal, the American embassy in Manila expressed concern over the lack of transparency on the transaction and the decision to negotiate the contract with ZTE.
    In his privilege speech, Padilla directly linked Abalos to the transaction. He claimed Abalos traveled to Shenzhen, China several times, courtesy of ZTE, and played golf with ZTE officials there and when they visited Manila.
    Padilla exposed the irregularities a day after filing with the Office of the Ombudsman a complaint for violation of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act against Mendoza and two assistant DOTC secretaries along with other ZTE officials.
    Davao City Rep. Prospero Nograles, meanwhile, urged the House of Representatives to leave the NBN controversy to the Ombudsman.
    Nograles said if the House decides to investigate alleged irregularities in the deal, it would just be “duplicating what the Ombudsman would do.”
    “I do not see any point in Congress looking into something that the Ombudsman is investigating. We better await the result of their investigation,” Nograles told a news forum in Quezon City.
    Nograles said he agrees with Padilla that an inquiry in aid of legislation is needed to plug loopholes in existing laws.
    However, an investigation would be hampered by the criminal complaint the Nueva Vizcaya congressman filed on Tuesday with the Ombudsman’s office.
    “Those accused in the Office of the Ombudsman will not talk and will invoke their right against self-incrimination. Thus, a House inquiry will just hit a blank wall,” he added.
    As for Abalos’ involvement, Nograles said there should be more solid evidence than his alleged trips to China and golf games with ZTE officials.
    “So far, we are only talking of speculations and allegations here,” he said.
    Nograles said if Padilla has enough evidence, he could file a separate criminal case against the Comelec chairman.
    Nograles said he could initiate impeachment proceedings against Abalos in the House.
    Sen. Panfilo Lacson also criticized Abalos for getting involved in the NBN deal.
    Lacson questioned the propriety of Abalos’ alleged use of undue influence, noting that the NBN deal was supposed to be a project under the DOTC.
    “If you remember, Mendoza’s son was also a candidate and won a congressional seat in Batangas. Why should the Comelec chairman dip his hands into the transaction which is purely executive? That’s a $55 million question,” Lacson said. – With Jess Diaz, Rainier Allan Ronda, Christina Mendez
    Last edited by shadow; August 31st, 2007 at 02:05 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    How come I'm not surprised?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    malala na ito. What does he know that he is untouchable?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kapal talaga!!!!

‘Abalos tried to bribe ZTE rival into backing out’
    By Paolo Romero
    Monday, September 3, 2007 Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Benjamin Abalos allegedly made several efforts last year to bribe the head of a rival proponent of the government’s national broadband network (NBN) project with $10 million to give way to ZTE Corp.
    Abalos also allegedly suggested that the contract be overpriced by about $70 million, to be charged as consultancy fees.
    A source privy to the alleged bribery attempts said Abalos invited Jose de Venecia III, son of Speaker Jose de Venecia Jr. and co-founder of Amsterdam Holdings Inc. (AHI) to the Wack-Wack Golf and Country Club sometime in December for a breakfast meeting.
    The Comelec chairman is also a ranking officer of the exclusive golf club located in Mandaluyong City.
    Abalos, who is set to be investigated in the House of Representatives for allegedly lobbying for the controversial deal in exchange for golf and ***, refused to make any further statement over the disclosure.
    “I do not know what they are talking about,” Abalos blurted out.
    Some lawmakers last week said they are studying the possibility of having Abalos impeached. The source also revealed the son of De Venecia was subjected to verbal abuse by Abalos, claiming he had the cellular phone of the Speaker’s son monitored.
    All in all, there were about six meetings between Abalos and De Venecia III.
    AHI and the US-based Arescom Inc. have been protesting the government’s entering into an agreement with ZTE saying the contract should be done through a bidding. AHI submitted a bid of $245 million while Arescom proposed $130 million.
    The source claimed those who were present during the meeting included a certain Leo San Miguel, a contractor named Ruben Reyes, retired police general Edgar Dula Torres and Jimmy Paz, said to be Abalos’ chief of staff.
    The source revealed Abalos pulled the young De Venecia to his office and asked him if he could back off from bidding.
    “I want this contract,” Abalos reportedly told De Venecia III during the meeting. “I will give you $10 million.”
    At that time, AHI’s proposal was already being evaluated by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) along with those of Arescom and ZTE.
    All three proposals were endorsed by Transportation Secretary Leandro Mendoza to the NEDA for evaluation.
    De Venecia III replied that he could not back off since he had foreign partners who all believe the AHI proposal is superior since the government would not spend a single centavo for the deal.
    “With all due respect sir, I cannot do that (back off) even for $1 (million) because our proposal is better,” the source quoted De Venecia III as saying.
    The hidden partner
    Another breakfast meeting between Abalos and De Venecia III happened either on Dec. 20 or 21, the source added.
    Again, Abalos tried to convince De Venecia III to give way to ZTE.
    The Comelec chief also asked De Venecia III to join him in his trip to Shenzhen, China later that month to meet with ZTE officials.
    The AHI official, however, told Abalos there was no need for him to travel since he already knew their Chinese counterparts. De Venecia’s broadband firm has been using ZTE equipment and he has been to the company’s headquarters in China in the past.
    The AHI official could not say no to Abalos, “whom he continued to be deferential (to) because of his status and age,” the source said.
    The source added De Venecia III tried to win Abalos to his side by offering him a position in AHI on the impression that the poll chief was interested in the NBN project.
    Abalos and De Venecia III, along with other unidentified companions of the Comelec chief, met with ZTE officials on Dec. 27.
    During the meeting with ZTE vice president Yu Yong, Abalos introduced De Venecia III as his “partner.”
    The source revealed that during the meeting, the ZTE officials initially proposed $262 million for the deal.
    De Venecia III checked with the Manila office of the ZTE and his own company experts on whether the amount was warranted.
    The response was that the proposal should cost only around $130 million since the specifications in the ZTE proposal were not enough to cover the requirements of the NBN deal.
    The AHI official told Abalos, while they were still in Shenzhen, that unless ZTE upgrades its proposal, the Chinese firm is proposing a stiff price for the NBN.
    De Venecia III, the source said, offered to Abalos to renegotiate with the ZTE to get a lower cost for the Philippine government.
    Abalos however suggested the difference in the contract, which later was priced at $330 million by ZTE, be charged as “consultancy fees” and other charges in which the paperwork would be done through his law firm.
    “This is my last hurrah, let me have the contract,” Abalos told De Venecia in Filipino.
    During the meeting, the source said, Abalos reportedly told ZTE officials that “we want our funds now.”
    ZTE officials, however, asked for an assurance to bag the deal. A ZTE official also replied that “what about the funds we gave you?” the source said.
    Sometime in January, an angry Abalos called up De Venecia III and began ranting and cursing him.
    Abalos was complaining about the AHI official’s comments to his colleagues in the company about him.
    “Do you want me to send transcripts on your conversations?” Abalos told the AHI official, the source said.
    The government entered into an agreement with ZTE to undertake the NBN project on April 21 in Boao, China. It is not yet clear exactly what kind of agreement was forged but Mendoza explained the agreement was a supply contract.
    The issue took a mysterious twist after Assistant Secretary Lorenzo Formoso of the Department of Transportation and Communications admitted losing the originals of the agreement in a hotel room shortly after they were signed. He claimed they were stolen.
    Officials claimed the contract has been “reconstituted.”
    Iloilo Vice Gov. Rolex Suplico earlier filed a petition before the Supreme Court (SC) pointing out the contract is unconstitutional and violated build-operate-transfer and bidding laws.
    Nueva Vizcaya Rep. Carlos Padilla exposed in a privilege speech the alleged irregularities in the transaction, saying a congressional inquiry is needed so that remedial legislation that would plug loopholes in existing laws could be crafted.
    Violations
    Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Sergio Apostol, on the other hand, refused to comment on the controversy claiming the case has already been filed before the SC.
    Secretary to the Cabinet Ricardo Saludo last week however claimed the deal is aboveboard and ZTE has proven to be a company with a track record.
    But Padilla claimed government officials who negotiated the NBN deal with the ZTE may have violated the orders of President Arroyo.
    Quoting sources, Padilla said the President had ordered during a Cabinet meeting last Nov. 21, 2006, that the NBN contract be done without expense to the government, and if possible by the BOT scheme.
    “We have documents during that meeting showing the President saying that the project should be put up, but not at the government’s expense by means of a loan as what happened in the present setup,” Padilla told The STAR yesterday.
    While respecting the urgency of the President’s opinion on the need to put up the NBN, Padilla claimed he is not sold to the idea.
    He said the administration could not produce convincing arguments as to the necessity of the NBN, claiming the scheme appears to be a mere duplication of the operations of commercial telecommunication companies. – With Shiela Crisostomo,Charlie Lagasca, Jess Diaz, Christina Mendez

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    kapal naman nyan..diba pwedeng tanggalin yan?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Mabigyan sana ang mga iyan ng 'remembrance' na 'high voltage',- iyong nakakalaglag ng 'ul*' kapag nagpagpag sila....

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Hindi masisibak or mai-impeach yan. Otherwise, magsasalita yan sa mga nalalaman niyang hindi pabor kay Pandak.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    "I am not influential" - abalos.

tingin pala niya sa sarili niya nobody. tsk! tsk! tsk!

hay, abalos(los)!

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    Hindi masisibak or mai-impeach yan. Otherwise, magsasalita yan sa mga nalalaman niyang hindi pabor kay Pandak.
    maghihintay na naman na mabaon sa limot ang issue... that's the problem with the number games sa congress... takipan ng baho.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by resmile View Post
    maghihintay na naman na mabaon sa limot ang issue... that's the problem with the number games sa congress... takipan ng baho.
    wag sya tiwala sa sarili, bigla na lang sya ipakain ni GMA sa oposisyon...

feed the hungry ika nga

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
Abalos again!!!???