New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    1. Rudolf Diesel built his engine to improve mankind.
    2. With no ignition system, the mechanical diesel engine will not interfere with radios, communication devices, or pacemakers.
    3. Diesels are better in remote areas and third world countries because they can run on vegetable oil and are less complicated than other drivetrains.
    4. The diesel BMW 520D luxury car beat the Toyota Prius economy car in fuel economy tests
    5. India's Tata Energy Research Institute said clean diesel beats compressed natural gas (CNG) on cost and delivers the same amount of "toxic" pollutants.
    6. The largest and most powerful internal combustion engine in the world is a diesel (Wartsilla-Sulzer RTAA96-C).
    7. Only a diesel vehicle can tow, be a work truck, drag race, sled pull, off-road race, and still be a reliable daily driver.
    8. Diesel fuel is 15 percent more energy dense than gasoline.
    9. A diesel releases less carbon dioxide into the air because it is more fuel efficient.
    10. Diesel fuel does not evaporate as easily as gasoline, so it is much safer in accidents.
    11. A diesel produces maximum torque at low engine speed. This makes it perfect for getting heavy loads moving.
    12. A diesel is more reliable because it does not have to deal with a spark ignition system.
    13. An article written by the Health Effects Institute suggests older diesel engines produce safer emissions. Although older engines produce more emissions by mass, their particles are larger and less dangerous.
    more & more reasons to rely on diesel power.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Some points:

Quote Originally Posted by truckesh View Post
    1. Rudolf Diesel built his engine to improve mankind.

True.

2. With no ignition system, the mechanical diesel engine will not interfere with radios, communication devices, or pacemakers.
    So what does the alternator do? A modern gasoline car does not cause radio static or interfere with pacemakers unless you stick your pacemaker right between the ignition wires.

In fact, the recommended safe distance for a pacemaker from a gasoline engine is a minimum of 12". Not a problem unless you're a dealership mechanic.

3. Diesels are better in remote areas and third world countries because they can run on vegetable oil and are less complicated than other drivetrains.
    True, to a point, depending on the diesel engine in question. Veggie oil rocks.

4. The diesel BMW 520D luxury car beat the Toyota Prius economy car in fuel economy tests
    Fuel economy runs usually encompass long highway runs. Sitting still in traffic, a hybrid using 0 liters of fuel an hour to run the airconditioner is more efficient than a diesel using 1 liter of fuel an hour to do the same... well... until you drain the hybrid's batteries... we spent an hour sitting in traffic waiting to see how long it takes the aircon to drain the Prius's battery packs...

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]5. India's Tata Energy Research Institute said clean diesel beats compressed natural gas (CNG) on cost and delivers the same amount of "toxic" pollutants.
    LPG pa rin... CNG sucks. :hysterical:

6. The largest and most powerful internal combustion engine in the world is a diesel (Wartsilla-Sulzer RTAA96-C).
    And it turns at just a few hundred rpm an hour. automotive engines need to be more flexible...

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]7. Only a diesel vehicle can tow, be a work truck, drag race, sled pull, off-road race, and still be a reliable daily driver.
    Now this is the one reason I'm replying... that's absolute bull. A gasoline pick-up can do all of these, as well, and still be reliable... and modifying a gasoline pickup for truck drags does not produce clouds of billowing black smoke.

8. Diesel fuel is 15 percent more energy dense than gasoline.
    True.

9. A diesel releases less carbon dioxide into the air because it is more fuel efficient.
    True.

10. Diesel fuel does not evaporate as easily as gasoline, so it is much safer in accidents.
    Doubly True.

11. A diesel produces maximum torque at low engine speed. This makes it perfect for getting heavy loads moving.
    Actually, electrics produce maximum torque at 0 rpms... making them perfect for towing... well... if anyone can solve the battery problem, that is. But the huge torque of modern diesels is not due to the diesel per se... but due to the fact that they are turbocharged.

12. A diesel is more reliable because it does not have to deal with a spark ignition system.
    Tell that to a million blown diesel pumps... diesel injectors that are finicky to calibrate and sensitive to fuel... and modern direct injection injectors that cost an arm and a leg to replace. (and vehicles need these modern direct injection systems to meet new emissions standards, which gasoline engines can meet using low pressure injectors that last over twice as long)

The strength of a diesel is in the overbuilt bottom-end... they have to be built ultra-tough to withstand the high compression forces generated. But this also makes them more expensive to produce. A gasoline engine built to the same specifications and parts strengths will last longer due to the lower compression ratio required for gasoline. And the maintenance requirements of the spark and fuel system of the gasoline engine balances out, in the end, with the maintenance requirements of the diesel system... as long as the diesel is not CRDi, in which case, the maintenance requirements of the CRDi will always cost more.

13. An article written by the Health Effects Institute suggests older diesel engines produce safer emissions. Although older engines produce more emissions by mass, their particles are larger and less dangerous.
    I guess we should go back to breathing coal dust, then?

-

I am a firm believer in diesel power, but let's "keef it real"
    Last edited by niky; September 17th, 2009 at 03:05 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    add ko lang

4. The diesel BMW 520D luxury car beat the Toyota Prius economy car in [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]fuel [COLOR=blue! important]economy[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

tests
    you can buy 2 Prius with a BMW 520d...
    and you can buy 4 Ford Focus TDci as against to 1 BMW 520d
    or 7 Hyundai Getz 1.5 CRDi against 1 BMW 520d
    hehehehe..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Interesting thread!
    Other fact about diesel fuel and engines.
    Rodulf envisioned the engine to run on coal dust but eventually settled to oils.
    Its true that fuel system components of diesel are expensive to buy as new but it doesnt hurt to rebuilt it. Electronic injectors and supply pump can be remanufactured and can even exceed OEM standards.
    Smoke from diesel may look dirty but its less dangerous with that emissions from a fairly maintaned car.
    Early years of diesel engines where limited to ships, Industrial, mining, locomotive, power generation similar to the Wartsila because fueling will require a compressor as large as a small car.
    Thanks to Robert Bosch he invented a pump that can be fitted snuggly to a smaller engine for automotive use.
    Sulfur in diesel helps in lubrication therefore Utra Low.......means

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    [quote=niky;1321149]

Now this is the one reason I'm replying... that's absolute bull. A gasoline pick-up can do all of these, as well, and still be reliable... and modifying a gasoline pickup for truck drags does not produce clouds of billowing black smoke.

I suppose that's true if your idea of a high performance diesel is what rednecks in the US make. Never have I seen such a ridiculous approach to tuning.

Maybe they are so inbred they don't know any better.

Those people literally just dump in as much fuel as they can and raise the boost pressure well beyond safe limits. They even inject nitrous into the intake manifolds to try to burn all that fuel they sprayed in.

Intelligent diesel tuning (like that done by Gale Banks) doesn't involve blowing out lots of black soot.

"SMOKE IS STUPID!" - Gale Banks - check it out.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

I suppose that's true if your idea of a high performance diesel is what rednecks in the US make. Never have I seen such a ridiculous approach to tuning.

Maybe they are so inbred they don't know any better.

Those people literally just dump in as much fuel as they can and raise the boost pressure well beyond safe limits. They even inject nitrous into the intake manifolds to try to burn all that fuel they sprayed in.

Intelligent diesel tuning (like that done by Gale Banks) doesn't involve blowing out lots of black soot.

"SMOKE IS STUPID!" - Gale Banks - check it out.
    Well... the original post (work/tow/drag/etcetera) was written with those trucks in mind... thus the reply was aimed at said truckers.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think this holds true for modern diesel engines. Plus I get more mileage for every liter of diesel fuel compared to petrol. As a previous Isuzu owner, our garage smells like smog each time the vehicle is started-up. Since we sold it and bought a car w/ CRDi , the smog smell has lessened significantly. I'm glad diesel engines now are more environment friendly than before. I had a hard time convincing my wife on buying another diesel-powered car as she associated diesel engines with soot and pollution. I'm glad the CRDi has proven her wrong. I just wish the govt will implement stricter emmision control guidelines to make our air safer to breathe. Go diesel!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Some points:

True.

So what does the alternator do? A modern gasoline car does not cause radio static or interfere with pacemakers unless you stick your pacemaker right between the ignition wires.

In fact, the recommended safe distance for a pacemaker from a gasoline engine is a minimum of 12". Not a problem unless you're a dealership mechanic.

True, to a point, depending on the diesel engine in question. Veggie oil rocks.

Fuel economy runs usually encompass long highway runs. Sitting still in traffic, a hybrid using 0 liters of fuel an hour to run the airconditioner is more efficient than a diesel using 1 liter of fuel an hour to do the same... well... until you drain the hybrid's batteries... we spent an hour sitting in traffic waiting to see how long it takes the aircon to drain the Prius's battery packs...

LPG pa rin... CNG sucks. :hysterical:

And it turns at just a few hundred rpm an hour. automotive engines need to be more flexible...

no doubt, petrol does, but the focal point here is FC & torque, say compare 6.4L diesel vs Petrol as workhorse?

True.

True.

Doubly True.

Actually, electrics produce maximum torque at 0 rpms... making them perfect for towing... well... if anyone can solve the battery problem, that is. But the huge torque of modern diesels is not due to the diesel per se... but due to the fact that they are turbocharged.
    It is easier to turbocharge a diesel engine.
    It is easier to supercharge a diesel engine.

Tell that to a million blown diesel pumps... diesel injectors that are finicky to calibrate and sensitive to fuel... and modern direct injection injectors that cost an arm and a leg to replace. (and vehicles need these modern direct injection systems to meet new emissions standards, which gasoline engines can meet using low pressure injectors that last over twice as long)

The strength of a diesel is in the overbuilt bottom-end... they have to be built ultra-tough to withstand the high compression forces generated. But this also makes them more expensive to produce. A gasoline engine built to the same specifications and parts strengths will last longer due to the lower compression ratio required for gasoline. And the maintenance requirements of the spark and fuel system of the gasoline engine balances out, in the end, with the maintenance requirements of the diesel system... as long as the diesel is not CRDi, in which case, the maintenance requirements of the CRDi will always cost more.

I guess we should go back to breathing coal dust, then?

-

I am a firm believer in diesel power, but let's "keep it real"
    addtionally
    The Army uses diesel fuel.
    The Navy uses diesel fuel.
    The Marines use diesel fuel.
    The trucking industry uses diesel fuel.
    The aviation industry uses diesel fuel.
    The mining industry uses diesel fuel.
    The railroad industry uses diesel fuel.
    The maritime shipping industry uses diesel fuel.
    The U.S. Coast Guard uses diesel fuel.
    The construction industry uses diesel fuel.
    Biodiesel has 34% more energy density than ethanol

The best batteries are 85% less energy dense than diesel fuel.

Diesel fuel is a lubricant. Gasoline is a solvent. What would you rather spray on your cylinder walls?

Diesel dominated at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
    If you're driving up a steep hill or carrying a heavy load, a diesel engine is less likely to stall.
    Diesel engines are like garbage disposals-they'll eat any type of oil-based fuel.
    It's easier to recycle a diesel engine compared with a gasoline-electric hybrid.
    After a few decades, someone will pay you for your junk diesel engine.
    Due to their complicated construction, people will have to pay to recycle their gasoline-electric hybrid.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    just two things about diesel engines....

2 S's

Sound----no matter how you compare it to a gasoline fed engine even if its a CRDi still the gas engine wins in terms of lesser noise production

Smoke----Yes I know theres this Common rail direct injection thing that claims it emits lesser smoke than the old diesel engine design.....but how come I can still see some vehicles that has this technology installed already but still emits a lot of smoke even if its relatively new?....comparing it again to the gasoline engine wherein it will only emit smoke when the engine is already eating the engine oil or in our filipino terms "babain na ang makina" at "kumakain na ng langis"

Im not saying that I don't like diesel engines....because I do drive one...

I just stated some of its flaws.....but everything else about it compared to the gas engine? definitely I would still choose it anytime....torque, efficiency,price etc etc....

not unless we apply the Middle east pricing of OIL products here in our shores

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    for me 1 S

SAVE- i save money because cheaper price of fuel and it is easy to maintain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
to All Diesel Non-Believers