New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Its gonna be on the 1st wk of December and I'd like to get myself a converted Liteace/Estima diesel-fed either Mt or AT. Auction on an is as-is, where-is basis and only stationary testing can be made.

How can I be at least relatively secure about my potential purchase? I think I can manage well on the van's exteriors and suspension, but how do you think I should inspect the engine and the steering conversion?

engine - check out the dipstick, check quality of oil
    air filter - check out kung napabayaan or clogged
    if it's gas-fed - check out the condition of the spark plugs
    AC - ???

I might bring a mechanic along.

Pointers pls!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    your best bet is to bring along a trusted mechanic , if not dont forget the flashlight .
    check for leak specially in the gaskets.

3. FrankDrebin Guest
    IMHO, it is better to buy a secong hand locally assembled car than an auction one.

Why?

Dahil mas malaki ang magagastos mo sa pagpaparepair ng steering, electrical, aircon, "cracking" dashboard, baligtad na wiper at headlight, atbp.

BTW, did you read or know about the guy who met a deadly accident in Muñoz, QC? He was driving a "Auction" LiteAce.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hi frandrebin, i don't own a converted car pero my frend is one of the importers of these converted cars, please elaborate regarding the accident, did investigators find out the cause of the accident?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    choy.. basta tignan mo lang ng mabuti. yung exterior wala kang problema dyan. madaling katukin. i would agree with DSM, bring a mechanic. if ur not really an expert in looking at engines bring one.

siyempre it would be better to buy a 2nd hand locally assembled vehicle, as what Frank said, but if youre really careful and lucky you may find a good buy. i see a lot of auctioned vehicles around so i guess pili lang talaga! goodluck. bid low!8)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    choy.. basta tignan mo lang ng mabuti. yung exterior wala kang problema dyan. madaling katukin. i would agree with DSM, bring a mechanic. if ur not really an expert in looking at engines bring one.

siyempre it would be better to buy a 2nd hand locally assembled vehicle, as what Frank said, but if youre really careful and lucky you may find a good buy. i see a lot of auctioned vehicles around so i guess pili lang talaga! goodluck. bid low!8)

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    tips before the auction.. that is.. during and after the inspection, but before the bidding:
    1. TAKE NOTES... choose about 5 - 6 units that you're interested in... and MAKE NOTES!!
    2. bring a trusted and knowledgeable mechanic... sometimes they would know if the engine is still good for a few years just by the sound of the engine when idling...
    3. as far as the other components, the best you can do is visual inspection and trying them out (in the case of air con, radio, power windows, etc..)
    4. be sensitive to the other people during inspection also... you would have an idea which cars will have more prospective bidders and which ones will have relatively less bidders (this will matter A LOT!!)
    5. from the 5 - 6 units of your prospects, rank them accdg to the priority you'll be getting them..
    6. YOU DON'T NEED TO REGISTER TO BE ASSISTED DURING INSPECTION. it is good that if after inspection and wala kang makitang gusto mo eh ma re refund mo agad.. but i think right now, they make you come back after a few days for your refund.. hassle ito... so first look around for prospects... if you have prospects, tsaka ka lang mag register.

during registration:
    1. make sure you know the dates (schedule of auction, last day of payment, first day of pull out, last day of pull out, etc. )
    2. bring along an ID, they'll need this for your registration.
    3. pay the deposit

once you have the bid book, do your homework:
    1. from the list of prospective vehicles you have made (your own notes) find them in the bid book. note the sequence -> which ones will be bidded out first and around when... and which ones will be bidded out later.
    2. it would be better if you can come early (but not too early na you're there at 6am when the vehicles will be bidded out at around 1pm... )... just enough para maabutan mo yung ibang mga vehicles that are in the same class (or same type, etc) as that which one you like.

during the bidding:
    1. take note of how much these vehicles are going for and also take note of their condition, kung sa tingin mo they're better or worse than your prospects (this would give you an idea of how much the running price is at the auction).
    2. be careful din of the other bidders (some of them are planted by the auction company to jack up prices.. kung sila ang highest bidder, then you'll see the vehicles for auction again the next time around, if iba ang nanalo sa bid, then they get a higher price, either way they win).

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    good luck choy.:wink:

9. FrankDrebin Guest
    CZintrclr,

Nagkataon na me hinihintay kami sa area na yun so nakiusyoso na ko. Sabi ng mga nakakita, bigla na lang nag-swerve sa kanan dahil sa biglang pagswerve tumaob ito at derederecho sa poste. Duda ko lasing o di kaya'y o nakatulog o di kaya'y naputol yung "streering".

Pagpasensyahan niyo na ako kasi wala lang kasi ako tiwala sa mga auction at converted vehicles. Marami na kasi akong expierence dyan. Remember the Converted RHD Trucks...ah a lot of accident happen due to that "streering convertion".

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    check for oil leaks pero usually sariwa pa ang mga yan....... convertion ang importante pag may nagustuhan kang auto at nai uwi mo na cguradunhin mong papalitan mo ng mga pang LHD ang mga steering parts para cgurado ka. dont settle for welded parts. :wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
First timer in the Malinta auction! Pointers please...