New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    I saw this from my local online posts:

picture, just for illustration

Lemon Mercedes ML320 Only!! 7500 Sold!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2005-05-15, 8:02PM EDT

Thanks for the interest the car is sold!! Well, I am giving up. I have always wanted a Mercedes ML320. I bought this 1998 ML320 about a year ago it has been nothing but problems. The previous owner claimed the engine was replaced so I expected that it would have a lot of life left in it. It just turned 100,000 miles. Last week it left me stranded on 495 because of a bad fuel pump. While the shop was fixing the fuel pump the shop noticed that that the rear engine seal and transmission seals are leaking. I was advised that it would be crazy to just pay for the labor to fix the leak in the transmission and that since it has to be removed the transmission should be rebuilt. I went on a couple of web sites and noted that other people have experienced transmission problems with this model. I think the guy at the shop is right. Therefore, I have decided that this ML is a fruit of the tart citrus variety. I think that it would be crazy for me to put any more money in this car. I only want 7500 for it which should you give you a pad to fix the major flaws (i.e. transmission leak). It also has minor annoying issues that seem to be prone to this model. (ie power locks that work when they want too) Email me and I will disclose everything I know about it and this model.

This item has been posted by-owner.

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Poor guy....I've had seen a bunch of ML owners with this kind of problem - i was supposed to get one of these but i can't bear to spend $1K for a brake job. I hope they fixed most of the problems with the upcoming 2nd gen ML.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    2nd gen M class looks un Merc like, If I had the money I'd rather go the X5, XC90 or Touareg route.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Shaq, take it from me, 100k mile car is not something anyone should buy. If people want to buy a luxury brand, buy one new, or fairly new (low miles) whatever class it may be. At least it would be covered by a factory warranty. Whoever bought that car probably thought, I would like to own or drive a luxury brand but not pay the high premiums that the new one cost. Well there are a lot of luxury brand vehicles with high miles that are sold at a bargain but most people don't understand is that "parts" and maintenance on these luxury brands stay the same. No discounts! The other thing about buying used vehicles at a bargain price, ever think why they're cheap? Flood car, stolen and recovered, abused? There's a lot of unknowns that would definitely hamper the cars performance and longevity. It would be best if you knew the history and driver of the cars. The other thing is, Ms are usually purchased for their wives. Until now, I still have to remind my wife that if that little yellow light at the bottom left of the tach is on, and says oil change, bring the car into the dealership.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rediesel
    2nd gen M class looks un Merc like, If I had the money I'd rather go the X5, XC90 or Touareg route.

Actually, the 2nd gen M looks more of a Benz than the previous model IMO.
    The X5 got some serious quality issues too. The XC90 is Volvo's first attempt with SUVs and so is the Touareg (i like the Touareg but i've read a lot of horror stories from owners too - like someone got stalled while driving in an interstate highway).

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Shaq, I got an invite to test drive the new M on a track. They said it handles like a car. I stopped by the dealership and saw one on the lot. Does'nt look bad at all. One thing though, I was supposed to shop for my wife but ended up being taken to the back garrage to look at a beast! 06 S65, obsidian black with all the bells and whistles!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy
    Shaq, take it from me, 100k mile car is not something anyone should buy. If people want to buy a luxury brand, buy one new, or fairly new (low miles) whatever class it may be. At least it would be covered by a factory warranty. Whoever bought that car probably thought, I would like to own or drive a luxury brand but not pay the high premiums that the new one cost. Well there are a lot of luxury brand vehicles with high miles that are sold at a bargain but most people don't understand is that "parts" and maintenance on these luxury brands stay the same. No discounts! The other thing about buying used vehicles at a bargain price, ever think why they're cheap? Flood car, stolen and recovered, abused? There's a lot of unknowns that would definitely hamper the cars performance and longevity. It would be best if you knew the history and driver of the cars. The other thing is, Ms are usually purchased for their wives. Until now, I still have to remind my wife that if that little yellow light at the bottom left of the tach is on, and says oil change, bring the car into the dealership.

I know what you're saying speedy....But whenever i buy a car....new or low-mileage, i usually research first from specific forums, read about issues and start from there...and from what i've seen, there has to be a lot of probs with the 1st gen M - that made me decide not to buy one (i was supposed to get one of this in 2000 when they were still "hot")...even my co-worker's sister got one (less than a year old) and she wanted to trade it in with a RAV-4.

My wife drives at least 20 to 25K miles a year (mixed traffic) and she can easily fill 100K on the odo in no time. With this kind of realibility, i wouldn't be happy to face these kinds of issues when i hit 100K miles.

Sometimes, its better to learn from the mistake of others :>)

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Shaq, I got an invite to test drive the new M on a track. They said it handles like a car. I stopped by the dealership and saw one on the lot. Does'nt look bad at all. One thing though, I was supposed to shop for my wife but ended up being taken to the back garrage to look at a beast! 06 S65, obsidian black with all the bells and whistles!

Damn...mucho dineros......LOL

an AMG s65 would be nice to see parked in my garage.....i thought its the wife's turn? LOL

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by airshaq20
    Damn...mucho dineros......LOL

an AMG s65 would be nice to see parked in my garage.....i thought its the wife's turn? LOL
    Yeah but I was kidnapped by the manager and at gun point told me to take a look at this car! I did'nt know what to do so I looked! (Thats what I'm going to tell my wife. Do you think she'll buy it? ) He was really going to give me a good deal and I was about to take it home until the thought of my wife choking me put my checkbook back in my brief case

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Yeah but I was kidnapped by the manager and at gun point told me to take a look at this car! I did'nt know what to do so I looked! (Thats what I'm going to tell my wife. Do you think she'll buy it? ) He was really going to give me a good deal and I was about to take it home until the thought of my wife choking me put my checkbook back in my brief case

Hahah...lucky guy...what do you do man? I dont think i'd be able to buy a $160K AMG with a V12 engine that i would never use...hahah

For that money....i can get a base Cayenne (sorry, im environment friendly), an SLK, a 745iL, a ducati and still have enough change to buy gas for a few years....LOL

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Actually, with options it was close to 180 but the manager was going to give me a 10k break. I work as an Anesthetist, you know "Dr. Feelgood?" How about U? Audi's don't come cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cry of a MB ML320 owner