New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Fellow tsikoteers who are car techies, your 5 cents worth of opinion please!!
    ...Which of the two drive system do you prefer, "Push" ( Rear wheel drive ) or "Pull" (Front wheel drive ). The advantages and disadvantages of each drive system. I have read that in snowy and icy countries, most of their cars are Front wheel drive, why? How about in Asian countries like the philippines? Which do you think is the best suited drive system for our type of roads?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ang alam ko usually the older toyota cars are rear wheel drive, but mostly the car nowadays are front wheel drive

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    FF layout... it understeers when pushed to the limit (safer).
    FR layout... tends to oversteer/drift-able (fun).

So with the front wheel drive layout, the driver is assured that he could feel when the wheel slips to the limit, that's why its the choice for low-traction surfaces (besides 4WD). While with rear wheel drive, you could easily change the direction of the car by controlling the acceleration (partly dangerous on slippy roads, unless you have the skill to control it), but it's the classic recipe for sporty cars.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I remember when I was still working in Algeria, one of my co-worker is driving a BMW. I asked him if it's a front wheel drive and he replied not. He told me that all BMW's are rear wheel drive. Is it true that all BMW are rear wheel drive or he's just bull***ting me only?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelparadigm
    FF layout... it understeers when pushed to the limit (safer).
    FR layout... tends to oversteer/drift-able (fun).

So with the front wheel drive layout, the driver is assured that he could feel when the wheel slips to the limit, that's why its the choice for low-traction surfaces (besides 4WD). While with rear wheel drive, you could easily change the direction of the car by controlling the acceleration (partly dangerous on slippy roads, unless you have the skill to control it), but it's the classic recipe for sporty cars.
    If rear wheel drive is being used in sporty cars, it means that it's good in burst acceleration right? I wonder if it comes to braking, who'll be the better one.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Ang opinion ko dito:

Acceleration - Mas maayos mag accelerate ang RD compared sa FD.
    Braking - mas malakas sa preno ang RD compared sa FD dahil majority ng weight pag tumatakbo sasakyan ay transfered sa rear wheels giving the wheels more traction when braking.
    Cornering - Para sa akin, mas responsive ang RD kesa FD kasi you will need less steering angle sa curve gaya ng sabi ni pixelparadigm.
    Drive Joints - Mas madaling mag wear out ang drive joints ng FD compared sa RD.
    Fuel Econmy - Mas efficient ang FD compared sa RD
    Steering - Pag nag accelerate ka bigla, wala kang ma fefeel na steering "kick" sa RD unlike sa FD na parang biglang kumakabig ang steering which is dangerous pag di mo na counter steer.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i like to have both sa vehicle ko. (4x4). heheheh

well, on our everyday commute, mas ok ang front wheel drive, coz it converts to being easily manufactured, which means less cost. then there's the fuel economy side. and it is much safer to drive for the average motorist.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanpierre
    I remember when I was still working in Algeria, one of my co-worker is driving a BMW. I asked him if it's a front wheel drive and he replied not. He told me that all BMW's are rear wheel drive. Is it true that all BMW are rear wheel drive or he's just bull***ting me only?
    IMO the correct one is There's no front wheel-driven BMW. BMW has this X drivetrain system (part-time AWD). I'm just not sure if the X-drive in the X5 and X3 SUV's are identical to the xi-badged AWD cars.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Thanks Straightsix for the info.
    But guys, I've seen it last year in DW TV channel (German TV ) a 2-liter Touring car race. I think it was in Australia. A RWD BMW, 4WD Audi and a FWD Volvo. Initially, it was dominated by the BMW and Audi. But when it started raining heavily, I was thinking that Audi will win because it's 4WD. But to everybody's surprise, it was the FWD Volvo. Believe me, even the commentator is shaking his head in disbelief. Kaya pagdating sa racing, the driver whose got the nerves and the technique nakakalamang kasi same specs ang gamit na engine nagkaiba lang sa drive system.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Siguro opinion ko ay mas better ang set-up the rear wheel drive sa mga kotse in terms of performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Push or Pull ???