New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Just want to ask if pick up suspension is really durable in harsh road conditions? i bought a 2nd hand Frontier 3.2 A/T 4x2. Here in my assigned area, Iloilo, in the city it gets flooded so roads are plenty of pot holes, and when going to the province, hi ways will surely surprise you with pot holes and roads being repaired. They say that pick up or suv suspension is more appropriate vehicle in these road conditions. Pag kotse kawawa lng daw talaga. Pwede mo ba i takbo ang pick up ng sa mga rough roads in speeds of 40-50kms na hindi makakasama s pang ilalam ng pick up?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Yup...the best bet would be a pickup or SUV's like the Landcruiser, Expedition, Suburban etc.

They are designed to carry heavier loads and thus have stiffer suspension. But that does not mean that they are unbreakable. You still have to treat them with care. I beleive theres no vehicle designed to drive into potholes at 40 kms/hr and expect it not to be broken after sometime.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Pickups have stronger wheel hubs and bearings, as well as heavy duty shocks and springs for carrying loads. But like DonT says, nothing is indestructible. You have to take care when going over rough roads, as continuous running over potholes at speed can actually damage your shock absorbers, and in some cases, can even rip the shock mounts from the body over time.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    The frontier is supposedly one of the most durable pickups.

Same can be said for pickup-based SUV's.

Crossover-SUVs generally are best left as soft roaders.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    well the fact that it's designed to carry around 1000 kgs on its bed alone screams that it's more durable than a car's or crossover's suspension. but that's for the rear. of course the front still has the ball joints, tie rods, idle arms, cv joints (for 4wd versions), etc which are still susceptable to damage, loosening, misalignment, etc so dapat ingat pa rin lalo na sa mga malalaking lubak.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well... the suspension is designed for loads, but you'll want to make sure that the chassis will withstand the abuse.

I remember back in my days on NissanForums, some military people came on complaining that the Frontier's suspension pick-up points were cracking and shearing. This is in desert duty, mind you, mild-to-moderate but not extreme off-roading.

Which brings me back to my first post... see pothole, slow down. 'Nuff said.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    yes, strada pick ups offers off- road ready capability. proven and tested ko na yan.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    I agree with the new Strada's capability to take on rough terrain. It's one of the best I've driven in years hehe. It makes long distance driving a breeze. So far it's got the softest suspension out there.

The Hi-lux is directly the opposite in riding comfort but it too has tons of power and I like its payload capacity. Its stiffer set-up is perfect for seriously heavy payloads. I heard that they will be coming out with a 4x2 variant that will have the height stance of the 4x4.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    memps, yes the new strada is the best riding pick-up in the market today. But in rough roads I dont know lang campared to other pick-ups. We have a lot of clients that complain about is rough road handling. The rear is very unstable, due to maybe to the soft suspension setting, it sways left to right when driven in high speeds over rough roads. In fact one of our clients wrecked his strada another one muntik na. now they are drive it slowly over rough roads. memps like the roads in Himamaylan area .

The pick-ups can be driven 80kph and above in rough roads and wont damage anything. The potholes that sometimes appear on the highway you will just hear a thud, if you brake it will be harder for the suspension since the braking will add load to it, just drive over it. Been doing that everytime when travelling out of town, especially now going to memps place from our place since the roads are under construction. One advice lang is stick to original rims so that the wheels are not offset, para hindi mabigat sa suspension components.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    tamaraw fx ko ginagamit ko pa puntang farm namin. speed ko 40 to 50.
    11 years doing it at ngayon maganda padin ang suspension. pero slow down sa malaking holes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Is pickup suspension really durable in harsh road conditions?