New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    i had my altis serviced at toyota commonwealth for its 65k kms checkup. i went through the usual procedure, with the s/a doing the usual clicking on his computer. he then printed the job order and the usual change oil and filter was indicated plus the other expenses like xcel engine flush, fuel treatment, rags and miscellaneous etc. upon closer inspection of the details, i noticed that he indicated fully synthetic oil. my total estimated bill was 4,200. i just want the mineral/regular based oil since i religiously change oil every 5k kms. i went to him and told him to change it to the regular oil. he sheepishly told me that they dont recommend using regular/mineral based oil. i told him i want the mineral/regular oil. he said okay then reprinted me another job order and now the cost was down to 3,400. while waiting at the lounge i noticed that he placed semi-synthetic. went up to him again and told him, gusto ko regular/mineral based! i was starting to get pissed... the conversation went like this:

Me: gusto ko yung regular/mineral based na oil lang. bakit semi-synthetic yung nilagay mo. diba pinapalitan ko na sayo kanina?
    S/A: mam, kasi hindi na namin ni re-recommend yung regular oil.
    Me: huh? bakit? makakasama ba or makakasira sa kotse? bakit naka display parin sa showroom yung regular/mineral based oil?
    S/A: hindi na yan ginagamit namin, pang lumang kotse lang kasi yan
    Me: Huh? ah, basta, yan yung gamitin mo sa kotse ko and tanggalin mo narin yung fuel treatment na nilagay mo.

he then reluctantly changed the item to mineral/regular oil and reprinted the job order and now my total bill was 2,300.
    hay naku, very frustrating to deal with these s/a sa casa. kala yata nila bobo lahat ng nagpapagawa sa casa. based from what i read here in the forums, okay naman to use regular/mineral based oil as long as i change every 5k. what matters is i change into a new oil para laging fresh ang engine ko. is the s/a correct with his comments??? hindi na ba talaga recommended ang regular/mineral based oil???
    or maybe, he thought that wala akong alam sa cars just because i am a girl!!!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    normal yung 20w-50 na mineral oil. pag old engine na mineral oil pa ren, pero usually recommended na yung 15w-40.

tama yan wag kayo paloko. toyota commonwealth pala...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    FYI: 20w - 50 gasoline, 15w - 40 diesel ... 10w-40/30 pwede for gas or diesel .....

usually 10w or 5w is synthetic motor oil

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Mineral oil is ok. I dont understand why the SA is pushing Synthetic and Semi-synth oil. Does he have a commission? I know Toyota has their rebranded mineral and full synth oil. Do they have semi-synth?

I also noticed this with TQA, they will try to put in fuel injector cleaner and engine flush without informing you. They also try to push full-synth oils. I guess better mark ups for the dealership. I have nothing against synth oils, I actually prefer them to mineral oil but it should be the customer/car owners choice.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    they did that to my dad's innova too. kesyo raw CRDi na kelangan synth na ang gamitin.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    i guess they do have a commission or they have to meet a quota that is why they are pushing for the much more expensive fully synthetic oils. nakakainis coz the way they say it, parang hindi na talaga pwede gumamit ng mineral/regular oil. made me think twice tuloy kung totoo yung sinasabi niya.
    one more thing i noticed, they really do try to put all those other charges. magugulat ka nalang when you see the bill. fuel treatment, engine flush, even engine detailing! one should really look closely at the details on the bill. very particular pa naman ako when it comes to detailing. i would prefer meguires kamais or big berts. the engine detailing done by the casa was of substandard quality. hay naku!
    the main reason that sa casa ako nagpapaservice is that mas kampante loob ko knowing that they specialize with the car brand and for girls like me, parang mas comfortable and safe to wait on the customer lounge.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    in fairness, synthetic oil is better for your car... pero he should not give you a hard time if you do not wanna use it and opt for mineral oil.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Okay lang whether you use synthetic or mineral oil. Pero dapat they should respect the carowner's decision.

On the engine flush and fuel treatment, Toyota Commonwealth automatically include these in the job order without consulting the customer. And, I always tell them to remove these items.

One advantage of using a synthetic oil is we're helping the environment. Instead of disposing used oil every 5 kms, we do it every 10 kms.

:yawn: [SIZE="1"]3236[/SIZE]

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    AFAIK disposed oil is sent to factories or furnaces for burning or used as fuel (heavy fuel) by heavy machines instead of buying new fuel. It's not the disposal that's the problem.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You were right to insist on mineral based oil. As you said, you change oil every 5K kms. 20W-50 is PERFECTLY alright and don't believe anyone who says otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Toyota Commonwealth change oil "advise"