New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My brother recently purchased a 1972 VW Beetle. I know the engine is a little old and it may not pass emissions testing when the time comes to renew the registration. Is there any way to make this emissions compliant? (legally of course!) TIA!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the new "classic beetles" being made in mexico before has catalytic converters installed.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For old ones, you do the regular maintenance, tune-up, oil change, change spark plugs and wiring. Clean the carburator and make sure the jets are still okay.

Do a compression test to see if the cylinders are at least of comparable compression.

See if it'll pass emissions... if not, time to get a cat. Nodalo's sells locally packed catalytic converters.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    to pass the emission you must determine where it will be likely to fail, what i mean is dapat magpa exhaust analyzer ka muna to know which one is failing so you can address it beforehand. of course there's some tips like dapat mainit ang engine mo before taking the emission test

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just spoke to a guy from Nodalo's. They said that they don't recommend installing a catalytic converter on a VW Bug since it'll induce the engine to either overheat or stall. They do have an accredited emissions testing center and they said that the VW's normally pass the emissions standard set by the LTO. Just make sure the air filter and spark plugs are either clean or new.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A car shouldn't overheat due to a catalytic converter placed in the exhaust... stall, maybe, if there's too much backpressure from the cat.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I also don't get it... how can a properly built catalytic converter stall or overheat an engine?

Though if properly maintained, even vehicles w/o a cat converter can pass our country's basic emmission testing mechanism. Our 323 (w/o cat also) has no problems with it.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    some accredited LTO testing centers cheat on results para talagang bagsak ang finding, kahit na ok naman ang tsikot mo.

illegally speaking, why do you want to do it the legal way, pero sila dadayain ka naman? sorry if my response is not that good, pero 500 bucks during registration will give you a negative result.

naranasan kasi namin dati, before irehistro ang galant sigma namin, it failed once, then pina-tune up, then it failed again, paayos uli. the third time, bumayad nalang kami ng non-apperance. pasado!

they play the game in a dirty way, why don't you do it the easy way?

my 2 cents.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You're not constrained to go to one testing center. If you fail at one, you can double-check your results at another center.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    yup, but during that time, it was the only accredited ET center of the LTO in our location

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How to make a VW Bug pass emissions test